Note to New Members ×

What do you call it when ...

Allee

I have heard a couple

losing it off of a jump with the arms flapping and the type of landing that involves tumbling out west a guy used to call a Gaper air

a gaper is what generally what is called a Joey here in the east

typicly the guy in a starter jacket and denim pants on rentals or ancient strait 210s with rear entry boots

the flipside of that is a guy dressed very similar but has some dayglo burton or sims jacket for gear somthing classic like a sims switchblade or a old ass kemper, no high backs on their bindings and of course their boots are workboots or sorrels

when I was in ME some people called the tumbling down the hill for no apparent reason other than lack of skill the boston shuffle

I did not like that much being a mass hole myself

Not really a wipeout term, but it's usually followed by one - when you go off a jump and your balance is off in mid-air, instead of grabbing the stylish grab you had intended, you wave your arms around in a circular motion. This is called "rolling down the windows".

Another one I like for a wipeout that has you cartwheeling or tumbling a good distance, rather than just sliding, is "egg-beater".

A good one usually reserved for death, but often applied to wipeouts is "bought the farm".

I picked up the terms "Maytag" and "maytagging" from someone on this site...can't remember who though.

Such a great image - when you crash just right and do a couple end-over-end flips, it's just like the spin cycle.

I bailed right under the chair a couple seasons ago, and someone yelled from the lift, "are you OK?" I said I'd be all right, and someone yelled, "do it again!"

I think it was the same person.

I got a good laugh out of that, so, I've been following the same script every time I'm on the lift and I see someone bail.

We always rate the crashes out of 10 (shouted from the lift). To get an 8, equipment must be scattered. 9s require inverted position at some point during the fall. A 10 would be something like a multiple cartwheel, leaving equipment a minimum 50 feet above, requiring the uphill trudge of shame. No ratings allowed when someone is obviously hurt!

Garage sale generally does not apply to snowboarders, as if they fall, then in one piece with all the equipment. But skiers can create really good yard sale on slope:

Item (quantity)

===============

Ski (2)

Poles (2)

Hat (1)

Goggles or sunglasses (1)

False teeth (1)

Glass eye (1)

Wooden leg (1)

Skier (1)

==============

Total: 10 items

Thus an order of magnitude more than snowboarder!

I have heard term Pinocchio (or making Pinocchio, in Russian there is term Buratino, which is adapted character from original Pinocchio) and it means flying like wooden puppet - cartwheeling or "rag doll" could be synonyms.