Note to New Members ×

Heard it in the lift line 2011/12

slopestar

Walking to the lift, a car stops next to me, and the driver says "Wow, that's one of those new monoboards". My skier friend says "No its a snowboard". I say "New monoboards - are they coming back then?". The driver says "Yeah, they are".

Looks like he was right according to wikipedia and a few other sites. http://www.zapiks.fr/new-monoski-revival-2009.html

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday morning I was waiting with my 6 year old daughter to meet her ski instructor. My 177 Coiler VSR was standing against a post nearby. Another couple arrived with their daughter and were waiting a few feet away from us. I heard the little girl say to her father "Daddy is that a fake snowboard?" Before I even had an opportunity to turn around my daughter responds quite indignant "No it is NOT a FAKE snowboard!!!" Guess she takes this whole carving thing a little more seriously than I thought! I don't think the other parents were as amused as I was!

Sometimes silence is golden. quite often on the Whistler Gondola.. there are just stares the the TD-3 bindings, and I can just feel the gears turning in their heads, wondering WTF?

Haha, so true!...especially if I'm tweaking the angles/cant on the way up. I feel like saying, "do you have any questions?"

-------------------------------

I pulled in line with 2 teen softbooters ahead. It looked like they had watched me come down the last pitch where I carved some pretty large "S" turns.

One kid says "Is that fun?"

Me: "It's the most fun I've ever had" (big smile on my face and being completely serious and honest)

Kids: "So you only go forward?"

Me: "Well, yes and no. It's designed to go forward but some can ride switch although it's not really comfortable and is hard learning"

Kid: something to the effect of "so what does it do? It's fast?"

Me: It rails turns fast or slow, you can get low,...It's just a cool feeling almost indescribable when you're locked into a turn"

Kid: "Cool, it looks like fun, pretty different setup with boots"

Me: "The whole idea is to have a fairly solid setup from board to bindings to boot so any weight or input to the edge makes it carve a turn really well"

Kid: "Hmm, it'd be cool to try"

These kids were park rats too but were really polite and interested. It was a great exchange one that's seldom had between these kids.

tried out an old 185 oxygen today and went to the truck to take a screw off the 165 nidecker. As I'm adjusting the binding a skier gets out of the car next to me and says "so you got one for each foot huh." I said yep just in case the powder gets deep. He says Really? I could of easily had him convinced but I said no not really. he walked off kind of disappointed:eplus2:

Riding yesterday at a local hill, I stopped at the top of the steepest pitch to collect myself... it was quite icy, and I really wanted stick carves all down the face. This soft-booter screams up behind me and stops, and exclaims loudly "Buddy, what the f*#@ is that THING? I've got to try that!"

I've never seen someone so excited! He has my number now, and I promised to get him out on my loaner board. As we arrived at the bottom, I realized who he was riding with - two other 'famous' locals; one who is a high-level paralympic sit-skier (who is almost as fast as me), and the other who uses a genuine 1980's monoski. As we all stood there talking in the lift line, the sit-skier comments "We're quite the circus, aren't we?" Very fun run :biggthump

A few funnies from this weekend:

1. I'm cruising towards the lift on the nearly-flat runout of a black run, aiming to go between a small group of snowboarders and the entrance to the lift line. This one girl is waving her arms like she's signalling a rescue helicopter in the Bering sea. I assume she's waving to someone uphill from me. She then steps in front of me and sticks and hand out for me to stop.

Her: "You have GOT to tell me what that is!"

- cue a short discussion about alpine

Her: "You realize that everyone stops talking as you go by the lift, right? That looks awesome!"

2. Slide up to the lift, jibber-kid liftie (hadn't seen him before, must have been his first shift that day) gives me an overly-dramatic look up and down with a sneer. No words said. A couple runs later, when there are almost no people around:

Him: (excited like a kid on Xmas morning) Whoa, that thing looks fun!

3. Another liftie was asking all kinds of questions about my setup. I switched from the white Coiler 182 NSR to the black 167 VSR as the runs got scraped down to the yellow ice, he couldn't fathom owning two boards.

Lots of positive comments all around, but those stood out. Now I need to buy a bigger helmet. ;)

At the top of the lift last Saturday, looking down at my bindings as I clipped in, I hear someone next to me say "how long have you been riding a board like that?" I look up expecting the usual skiier or two-strapper, and lo-and-behold...it's another hardbooter! :biggthump

Turns out he's another BOL'er. We tore up the slopes for a while together before the trails got too littered. Very cool.:cool:

Riding last week with KarverKai we met up with a buddy of his, who is 9yrs old, to ride some. After the first run of KK and I carving and his buddy using the "straightline, skid, straightline, skid" method we get to the lift. His buddy says "wow, you guys are riding fast today". I explain to him that they are carving boards designed to go fast and hold an edge very well. He stares down at the boards for a moment then says "I want a race board" then turns around, his dad is in the chair behind us, and yells "dad, can I get a race board?"

Ink

So I am out on a saturday night at my local dive hill...

I am ripping up some new snow, and tons of fake snow. Conditions are 12 degrees, mild wind. Snow is firm, fast and carvable to 12 inches. So I show up to put in my runs right when all the local school groups are on the hill....

After 6 runs and ruts galore, I come screaming down to a packed lift line, and pull a typical "J" tear to a stop in the lift line. About 20-30 kids standing around stop what they are doing and follow my line in...the key highlight was that the two 12 yo kids waiting on their chair stopped paying attention to watch me. As I scream to a stop, I look up at the crowd, and the chair knocks these two kids to the floor.

I swear the kids must have all though I was some kind of greek mythological creature. I tell you, it was a scene from another ski school movie....

Riding last week with KarverKai we met up with a buddy of his, who is 9yrs old, to ride some. After the first run of KK and I carving and his buddy using the "straightline, skid, straightline, skid" method we get to the lift. His buddy says "wow, you guys are riding fast today". I explain to him that they are carving boards designed to go fast and hold an edge very well. He stares down at the boards for a moment then says "I want a race board" then turns around, his dad is in the chair behind us, and yells "dad, can I get a race board?"

LOVE IT!Sounds like his Dad will have to "Pony-Up!"

Me to Liftie as he's looking at my gear: I think I'm going to go grab a different board (8" of powder the night before)

Him: Yeah, there was another guy with a board like that saying the same thing.

Me: What did he look like? (no answer) What was he wearing? (thinking maybe I could catch up with someone from the group)

Him: I don't know, I was too busy looking at his board!

Sometimes silence is golden. quite often on the Whistler Gondola.. there are just stares the the TD-3 bindings, and I can just feel the gears turning in their heads, wondering WTF?

This is the best ... when you see groms staring at your board parked on the wall, trying to figure out how step-ins work.

Lots of good ones today:

Unknown skier and boarder waiting for me in the middle of the run - boarder: "Whao, you are beutifull to watch. I'm a jibber, but I like that!"

Skier on rocker skis, in the lift line: "Is this a demo? Becouse I like that!"

Liftie on our steepest, gnarliest chair, runs all bumped up after last night's fresh:

"Aha, powder boards, like a bullet!"... Scoob and me were on a Kessler 183 and Coiler 177 :D

Liftie, commenting on my iced up beard after an EC run: "Faceplant?"

Doing Non Stop Un Tracked Pow runs from 9 till 1:15...:D

Hey Bob! John the lift Superintendent yells, would you like an Elk Burger ? as I start to load the chair... Sure! Now John is the same man that 10 years ago as a grom lift attendant at the bottom of Tiehack while bar b quing some Hot Dogs said Hey Bob!, would you like a Dog ? and thats where the phrase "Dog on the Run" came from...

That Elk Burger today was Fantastic! Thanks John! :biggthump