Note to New Members ×

Buttermilk's Tiehack area is getting a new high-speed quad lift

Mellow Yellow

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our new 6 place Leitner just had its pylons put in place. Went to see the helicopter dropping big chunks of steel yesterday : terrifying. 2 pylon sections in place with a 2 crews frantically torquing the bolts at the bottom and in the middle whilst the helico placed the head / gantry assembly on the top. I'll see if I can't scrounge up a photo or two later (my colleague had his big camera, which is why we managed to get half an hour off work to go watch...)

There's a good video of this sort of thing on the MHM website as well:

http://www.skihood.com/Community-and-News/Meadows-Blog/Posts/2011/09/Stadium-Express-Towers-Placed

Maybe there's some kind of optical illusion going on but with two rotors, how the hell does that helicoptor not get all jammed up (since seemingly, one rotor has to pass under the other????) Crazy. EDIT: oh wait, now I see it, they're angled and timed so that they mesh like a set of gears.

Good One Pat... in my 45 year construction career... setting concrete slabs for a Radio Transmitter Bldg. on a local mt. using a Helicopter was the scariest... Like this Vid. shows...if something does go wrong your gonna be dead before you ever know what happened... one of the Radio guys with us went out to stop one slab from swinging before we could stop him and yes his shoulder was just shattered...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
SoftbootSailer,

Nice! So what is the time bottom to top on that bad boy? Dang, I also hope this mean they will now groom that entire side of the mountain.

Here ya go:

"This season Aspen/snowmass is proud to debut a new high-speed quad chairlift at Tiehack that will reduce the ride time from bottom to top to just 7 minutes!"

So, is it really 7 minutes? :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The new Lift is Super Fast and it is filled with people...

Camelot is officially destroyed.

First it was the X Games on the front

then the uncle chucks terrain park in the secret pow zones

then the new chair at west

then the terrain park at west

and now finally a million people unleashed on Tiehack...

It has been a wonderful 26 years at the Milk, Thanks and so Long

My chilly day regimen.

Wake up to pow and party cloudy skies at higher elevations 11 degrees at the base. Brrr likely -8 top of highlands or - 20 with wind chill at highlands bowl.

A bit late to get first tracks. 9:40 ETA to base of any hill.

Time to summit ?...too long for snowmass, or highlands (2 chairs to top.)

1. Head to Tiehack. For easy free parking, typically guaranteed pretty untracked for 5 runs or until 11:30.

2. Eat Mongolian bowl at top of buttermilk for early quick fresh affordable lunch enough for 2 people.

3. 11:55am Ski down get in car 5 min drive to Highlands- free parking after 12.

Avoiding early morning summit of Highlands in clouds and bitter cold on early morning shaded chair and parking hassles- always score primo parking from people leaving at noon.

Well the powder at Tiehack was pretty chewed up by 9:30-10.

Fast lift was freezing cold with windchill.

I need a new plan. High capacity fast Lift screwed up utopia.

Ray yes it is 7 minutes. A chilly 7 minutes- aspen gondola much better choice. It runs full tilt, no running the lift slow to hang people in the air . Still no lift passes sold at Tiehack.

SBS last year for buttermilk winter x games, contract is up... So my guess is the Boardercross course will not come back next year, half pipe stays as it is dug in.

So the backside gets screwed up but the frontside improves... Like a GF gaining 5lbs in her rear but getting a boob job.

I liked the way it was before any augmentation.

So the backside gets screwed up but the frontside improves... Like a GF gaining 5lbs in her rear but getting a boob job.

Is that a bad thing? I like big butts, cannot lie. ;)

Maybe I'll actually see someone else on Tiehack during SES. We stopped to rest for a few minutes once and no one went by. It was kind of surreal. Nice, but surreal.

Tiehack was awesome yesterday. Found spots on the hill where the snow was at my knees. True, it was beat by 11:30 or so.

I enjoyed the old deserted Tiehack, but I also love the speed with which I can do laps there. I have never been a huge fan of Tiehack pow days, as the terrain is a bit too flat to really have a ton of fun on. I have yet to see how the new lift affects groomer days, but I imagine it won't have as much of an impact as with the powder.

of course if you get there first thing...and only have say 1 hour before work... Tiehack is ideal with 7 minutes to the top..you could get 3 runs in a half hour of pow before work.

The new Lift is Super Fast and it is filled with people...

Camelot is officially destroyed.

First it was the X Games on the front

then the uncle chucks terrain park in the secret pow zones

then the new chair at west

then the terrain park at west

and now finally a million people unleashed on Tiehack...

It has been a wonderful 26 years at the Milk, Thanks and so Long

You´re kiddin Bob?

So I'll cancel my flight and look elsewhere for untracked cord? This was my fear. Last year I rode Tiehack almost alone for two weeks. ****!

Relax a little!

Anja was on the Tiehack side all day yesterday and no people she said. Ok, the weather wasn't the best, but so far I assume that only on the pow days the extra amount of people will show up and track up the fresh rather quickly now. Also, a few more people more, what does it matter!?

Just be faster :D

Cheers,

Ray

Also, keep in mind, we will create a "Critical Mass" event when we bring in 100+ carvers to that hill. That many turns and trenches tend to scare off the weak at heart skiers.

Heck, have you ever seen Ray in full battle gear putting down a trench you could park a car in :eplus2: Yea, I am sure the mountain will get letters of complaint like we do ever year :nono:

Trust me, we'll make the hill "ours" at the SES. Game on.

Hopefully once the novelty of the new lift wears off and people realize there is no new terrain, the crowds will lessen.

For Aspen to replace the old 2 person lift with a high speed lift seems like a solution looking for a problem. I never waited in line for that lift. On the contrary, the ride up was often lonely.

An interesting piece in a recent Outside Magazine cites 2 person lifts as one of the more intimate experiences. It is borderline rude and near impossible to ignore the other rider on a 2 person lift.

Aspen Ski Corp didn't ask me but I'd rather they kept the old lift.