Note to New Members ×

Buttermilk's Tiehack area is getting a new high-speed quad lift

Mellow Yellow

FYI

ASPEN, CO -- The Aspen Skiing Co. is investing more than $27 million into its mountains this summer, adding new restaurants, a ski lift and mountain biking trails. Work has begun at Buttermilk, Snowmass and Highlands, and is expected to be completed by opening day of the 2011-12 ski season.

Buttermilk's Tiehack area is getting a new high-speed quad lift. This $7 million chairlift will replace both the Upper Tiehack and Hgle Hill chairs. The new “Tiehack Express” will take skiers 1,640 vertical feet to the top in seven minutes. It’s slated to be finished by mid-October.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And thus ends the least crowded, best carving runs evar :(

At the most recent SES, they were NOT the best carving runs ever, as half of them were not even groomed. Buttermilk was kinda frustrating this year, soft snow and only the falt runs groomed... if they groom all the Tiehack runs in order to showcase the new lift, I probably won't complain about an uptick in traffic.

I mean, when has traffic at the Milk *ever* been a real problem? It's so wide open. The only "traffic" I've ever seen anywhere on that hill is other SESers, over three different years.

It was the lack of uphill capacity and slower lifts that kept the snow in great shape... They shouldn't do this. It made it possible for people visiting Aspen even for a short period of time.. to ensure they got some Powder WITH SUN!

It'll be tracked out same gloomy day of the storm now.

FYI

Buttermilk's Tiehack area is getting a new high-speed quad lift. This $7 million chairlift will replace both the Upper Tiehack and Hgle Hill chairs. The new “Tiehack Express” will take skiers 1,640 vertical feet to the top in seven minutes. It’s slated to be finished by mid-October.

Now there is a reason to come back to SES 2012!

Meh. I'm a fan of this. I hardly ever go over to tiehack even though the carving is better over there, because I can't stand that slow double chair. Noplace in Aspen is crowded by any standard other than Aspen's, so I'm really not concerned about tiehack turning into Mardi-Gras + Times Square or anything. Maybe there will be a few more people but to my mind the positives outweigh the negatives.

Meh. I'm a fan of this. I hardly ever go over to tiehack even though the carving is better over there, because I can't stand that slow double chair. Noplace in Aspen is crowded by any standard other than Aspen's, so I'm really not concerned about tiehack turning into Mardi-Gras + Times Square or anything. Maybe there will be a few more people but to my mind the positives outweigh the negatives.

I try to stay away from buttersmooth in general.... ;)

Agreed...come to NC or most ECoast resorts if you want true CROWDS :barf:

Anyone remember how the landscape change forever when COPPER installed the Super Bee six-pack?

If this were happening at ALTA, I am sure management would run the chair at a reduced speed OR load every 2nd or 3rd chair to preserve the conditions for their riders.

You're being sarcastic, right?

Haaaaaa Haaaaaaa, what are you talking about!!!!!!!! it is Buttermilk, errr, old Man's mountain right.......what do you care Machines don't ride lifts!!!!

In my many years spent among you humans, I have learned to feel pain, and also to ride lifts.

I like it. Having best pitches with worst lift wasn't good value for your lift $$$. Maybe now we can finally get more than 35K vertical in a day.

I think my main problem with it is that it decreases variety. There are already a million billion runs that are kinda-sorta crowded (but not really, because it's Aspen) but perfect carving runs, fed by high speed lifts. You can ride Ruthies all day, or any of the runs on Big Burn or Sheer Bliss (and lots of others) at Snowmass, or loop Gunbarrel or Goldenhorn/Thunderbowl at Highlands or whatever. If you were the kind of person that wanted a truly empty run with the trade off of having a really slow lift, you could do that by going to Tiehack, but not anymore -- now Tiehack will be just like all those other runs.

now Tiehack will be just like all those other runs.

I doubt it. It might be *slightly* more crowed while the session is going on because there will be more carvers on the runs but, it seems like most people in aspen stay away from buttermilk due to the general lack of variety and excitement there, and I don't think that's going to change much just because of one lift. It will get a tiny bit more crowed but I suspect it will still be mostly empty except for other carvers while we are there —*particularly if you remain on the tiehack parkway trail longer and opt to go down racers edge and javelin rather than the earlier turn-offs (or turn-ons, as it may be).

Here is a Pic of work going on on Tiehack... I am so Stoked! :eek:

7 min. for a T to B :- )

I have been here for 25 years now and the old lift drove me Nuts! There has never been a crowd here except SES and

a few Races during the season... All the Good Skiers and Boarders ride the other 3 Mts., thank you very much :1luvu:

You can Help if you want be sending the Ski Co. an E-Mail supporting additional grooming needed.

Please stay in a Positive Zone if You decide to Help...

http://www.aspensnowmass.com/contactus.cfm

Thanks

Are they replacing or reusing the existing lift towers?

All New... they are cutting the Top down 12 ft. so that it will be easier as well to head down Tiehack from the Summit Express chair, a new Patrol building is also included in this summers schedule... :) 1 day of Non Stops will equal 53,000 vertical if you eat lunch on the chair...

I do know this...... slow lifts...typically discourage lessons because you can't give your students much vertical per hour...and of course... management encourages you to take the faster lift when teaching to promote a "Sense of perceived Value" ie.. more runs per hour.

So say hello to tons of "pizza french fries" (errr. advanced beginners) on what were once empty slopes.. Aspen seeing this likely as a revenue stream for teaching. Think... ruined... for part of February and All of March.

The only real benefit that I see-

is that parents could take lessons on the Tiehack side while their toddlers were at Buttermilk- perhaps we would see fewer people on Aspen Mt. as a result.

The most annoying thing I ever see- and dangerous are IDIOT PARENTS that get sick of Buttermilk and drag their kids down RUTHIES run...endangering their kids and others with a slow zig zag - in limited visibility sections.... Which I have seen happen Wayyyy too many times- ending in total yard sales for the kids when they get hit or can not control their speed. I don't see that AT ALL as an accomplishment for a kid... just as a Moron Badge for the parent. If parents want their kids to go down Ruthies... they should not cheap out...and should enroll them in ski racing programs.

But mark my words.... the lesson snakes with the red jacket at the front -will be going down Buttermilk's Javelin trail. Better than Ruthies... but not by much.

I do know this...... slow lifts...typically discourage lessons because you can't give your students much vertical per hour...and of course... management encourages you to take the faster lift when teaching to promote a "Sense of perceived Value" ie.. more runs per hour.

So say hello to tons of "pizza french fries" (errr. advanced beginners) on what were once empty slopes.. Aspen seeing this likely as a revenue stream for teaching. Think... ruined... for part of February and All of March.

The only real benefit that I see-

is that parents could take lessons on the Tiehack side while their toddlers were at Buttermilk- perhaps we would see fewer people on Aspen Mt. as a result.

The most annoying thing I ever see- and dangerous are IDIOT PARENTS that get sick of Buttermilk and drag their kids down RUTHIES run...endangering their kids and others with a slow zig zag - in limited visibility sections.... Which I have seen happen Wayyyy too many times- ending in total yard sales for the kids when they get hit or can not control their speed. I don't see that AT ALL as an accomplishment for a kid... just as a Moron Badge for the parent. If parents want their kids to go down Ruthies... they should not cheap out...and should enroll them in ski racing programs.

But mark my words.... the lesson snakes with the red jacket at the front -will be going down Buttermilk's Javelin trail. Better than Ruthies... but not by much.

If and when you come back John, You can Stay on Aspen Mt. :)

This is an Opportunity...

Fact

The Grooming at Tiehack has been in decline every single year since the mid 90's

Why not try and let the Ski Co. know that with the new lift and a return to the Grooming of the mid 90's

that you would look forward to going there, perhaps more often...

This is simple stuff and some intent could make a difference :)

thanks

This could be a way to increase the Grooming there ?

It is thought of now as X Games, Terrain Parks and a Beginning Skiers and or Boarders area and that is exactly why it is so deserted on that Tiehack side... which is nice for Carving turns across the runs without getting jammed from above...