Note to New Members ×

Buttermilk's Tiehack area is getting a new high-speed quad lift

Mellow Yellow

As quickly as many towns have set up skateboard parks... they have also banned it on the streets. With the excuse of " You have a place to use your skateboard now".

It would be horrible..... if we had such a carving zone... and say there were 3 carving related accidents in a week and ALL CARVING was relegated to Tiehack.

Not saying it would happen.... but I could see such a thing happening.

Here's how a lawyer might try to pursue it...

Well in the case of my client's 8 year old child, she was hit at very high speed by a "Carving Snowboarder" and is now paralyzed. Aspen Ski co has a carving park where this specific type of riding is allowed.. In the same fashion that Terrain Parks give a place for that type of riding. Aspen was negligent in policing the area and keeping that type of high speed lateral racing out of the family areas. If these fellows want to race- they should be a in a race league with a designated race area and not using family slopes for their activity. (Don't even try to explain that carving is not racing to a corporate bureaucrat.)

And Boom..... we are stuck at Tiehack. We can Skid/scrape all 4 Mountains but only carve at speed at Tiehack..and not even Buttermilk.

I watched a similar thing happen in Central Park ...we used to set up slalom courses where ever we wanted..... we might be asked to take them down if it got busy...but it was tolerated. Then I set up at Tavern on the Green..and everything was great... after a few years, Central Park offered us about 100 gate barracades for safety - to create a special area(city Budget surplus) even though we had never had an accident. Of course... we accepted.

Then when we tried to set up more advanced (and even Beginner) courses on other hills, we were IMMEDIATELY told to remove them- didn't even get to ride for a single run - being told "There is a designated place for you to slalom- by Tavern on the Green, you've got your place"

When Budget cuts came, and the gate barricade set up were cut, we were told we could not slalom AT ALL, and NOT SET UP CONES AT ALL, because it would not be safe without a designated area.

How about just ask for better grooming ONLY and Softbootsailor continues to work on his 3 strap binding to make softboot bindings that work for carving by reducing ankle flexion

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As quickly as many towns have set up skateboard parks... they have also banned it on the streets. With the excuse of " You have a place to use your skateboard now".

It would be horrible..... if we had such a carving zone... and say there were 3 carving related accidents in a week and ALL CARVING was relegated to Tiehack.

Not saying it would happen.... but I could see such a thing happening.

Here's how a lawyer might try to pursue it...

Well in the case of my client's 8 year old child, she was hit at very high speed by a "Carving Snowboarder" and is now paralyzed. Aspen Ski co has a carving park where this specific type of riding is allowed.. In the same fashion that Terrain Parks give a place for that type of riding. Aspen was negligent in policing the area and keeping that type of high speed lateral racing out of the family areas. If these fellows want to race- they should be a in a race league with a designated race area and not using family slopes for their activity. (Don't even try to explain that carving is not racing to a corporate bureaucrat.)

And Boom..... we are stuck at Tiehack. We can Skid/scrape all 4 Mountains but only carve at speed at Tiehack..and not even Buttermilk.

I watched a similar thing happen in Central Park ...we used to set up slalom courses where ever we wanted..... we might be asked to take them down if it got busy...but it was tolerated. Then I set up at Tavern on the Green..and everything was great... after a few years, Central Park offered us about 100 gate barracades for safety - to create a special area(city Budget surplus) even though we had never had an accident. Of course... we accepted.

Then when we tried to set up more advanced (and even Beginner) courses on other hills, we were IMMEDIATELY told to remove them- didn't even get to ride for a single run - being told "There is a designated place for you to slalom- by Tavern on the Green, you've got your place"

When Budget cuts came, and the gate barricade set up were cut, we were told we could not slalom AT ALL, and NOT SET UP CONES AT ALL, because it would not be safe without a designated area.

How about just ask for better grooming ONLY and Softbootsailor continues to work on his 3 strap binding to make softboot bindings that work for carving by reducing ankle flexion

Everyone just ask for better Grooming then... Thanks John :biggthump

I'm with Ken on this one. There are plenty of places with high-speed lifts to carve. If the slow lift kept people away, fine with me. Guess that makes me "old school".

At Loveland where I do most of my riding, they don't have any high speed lifts. There replacing an old 2 person lift with a newer 3 person (but not detachable) lift. Most people zoom right past Loveland on their way to Summit County - maybe because of the slow lifts.

At nearby Winter Park, they've replaced nearly all of their slow fixed-grip lifts with new high-speed detachables. As many as 6 person lifts. As a result, when it gets just a bit windy, they shut the lifts down. They never used to shut the lifts down. At Loveland, I don't recall them ever shutting the lifts down for wind (and it can get REALLY windy there).

At the end of the day, if I'm tired (and I usually am), it doesn't matter if I had ridden high or low speed lifts all day. However, I realize that this is another instance where it doesn't matter what I think.

I'm with Ken on this one. There are plenty of places with high-speed lifts to carve. If the slow lift kept people away, fine with me. Guess that makes me "old school".

At Loveland where I do most of my riding, they don't have any high speed lifts. There replacing an old 2 person lift with a newer 3 person (but not detachable) lift. Most people zoom right past Loveland on their way to Summit County - maybe because of the slow lifts.

At nearby Winter Park, they've replaced nearly all of their slow fixed-grip lifts with new high-speed detachables. As many as 6 person lifts. As a result, when it gets just a bit windy, they shut the lifts down. They never used to shut the lifts down. At Loveland, I don't recall them ever shutting the lifts down for wind (and it can get REALLY windy there).

At the end of the day, if I'm tired (and I usually am), it doesn't matter if I had ridden high or low speed lifts all day. However, I realize that this is another instance where it doesn't matter what I think.

What I find is that the snow can stay nicer longer with slow lifts as fewer people go down. So if you are waiting for the sun to come out and soften it a bit... well it isn't all tracked out by the time the sun comes. And with powder on pow days... there is more time for tracks to fill in.

However, if you only have an hour or two to ride... well high speed lifts can make your day. I also don't get raccooned as much with high speed lifts like I do with slow speed ones. In some ways that was ok..since I never get sunburnt and the sun would make some leave early. As lifts have southern exposure on Northern faces.

In regards to the grooming at Buttermilk....did anyone find out if any of the original grooming crew was there from '95? What changed? I do remember footage of perfect overlapping seamless grooming from some older carving clips (anyone have any of that to post up?)

I Skied Aspen Mt. from 68 to 83 then Boarded at Highlands for couple weeks in 84 and in 85 on to Buttermilk full seasons

I have been there the last 26 years with 70 days being the least amount of days per season spent there... It is my Favorite place to Carve as I do not have to worry about people coming up behind me there as I go side to side...any of the other 3 Mts. and you had better pay attention... I was hit on Aspen Mt. this year by a Snowboarder and at Highlands by a Ski Patrolman both said why are you going down the Run like that? Copper or Spar enough times and your going to get smacked...

One more time!

The X Games, all the terrain parks and the fact that Buttermilk is considered a beginners area is WHY TIEHACK is NOT CROWDED!!!!!!!!!!!! and the Grooming crews are not the same as 95 or 2000 or 2005 for that matter and there is less grooming done on Tiehack now and last season than ever before... I know at least a 100 people who have asked them to Groom more of Tiehack and they have cut rather than increased the grooming there... People who came to Carve there years ago from all over the planet for a month or so stopped coming 10 years ago... because of the lack of Grooming!

This new Lift is Great, The elevation as well as exposure on Tiehack wrecks the powder by 11:00 on sunny days anyway...

so to go up in 7 min. is Wonderful and hopefully with a footrest... and with this much money being spent by the Ski Co. and

people saying how Stoked they are and that more Grooming would be an additional reason to hang out there, what is the problem?

When all the Lifts in Aspen were Slow... No Body went to Tiehack then either, the Stigma of being the beginners Area kept the folks that like to go 70 mph. and slam one turn on the other 3 mts. Thus, for Carving side to side it has been

the place to go and not have to worry about things from above :- )

• 3 weeks later...
When all the Lifts in Aspen were Slow... No Body went to Tiehack then either, the Stigma of being the beginners Area kept the folks that like to go 70 mph. and slam one turn on the other 3 mts. Thus, for Carving side to side it has been

the place to go and not have to worry about things from above :- )

I happen to like going 70 down tiehack and making few turns. It is exhilarating. I'm hoping midweek to still be able to do that.

I happen to like going 70 down tiehack and making few turns. It is exhilarating. I'm hoping midweek to still be able to do that.

The Town Downhill as well as the Masters series Downhills on Tiehack reach Speeds of 70 mph on a Race Course... :) Milk is deserted of most High Speed Folks because of the beginner area think... in Reality it is a relatively safe place to haul ass without to many people around... this lift should not change that.

I have gone 70 mph on Skis on a course, but never on a Snowboard nor in a Ski Area in a non race situation, I think that is not a very wise decision... I know from Racing some different types of Equipment at Speed that things happen real fast and to not have the protection that a course or sanctioned track provides is asking to hurt yourself severely as well as others... Of course these types of Accidents happen every year at every Resort... so Please do not Run Over Me while I am Cruisin around at Milk :biggthump

The Town Downhill as well as the Masters series Downhills on Tiehack reach Speeds of 70 mph on a Race Course... :) Milk is deserted of most High Speed Folks because of the beginner area think... in Reality it is a relatively safe place to haul ass without to many people around... this lift should not change that.

I have gone 70 mph on Skis on a course, but never on a Snowboard nor in a Ski Area in a non race situation, I think that is not a very wise decision... I know from Racing some different types of Equipment at Speed that things happen real fast and to not have the protection that a course or sanctioned track provides is asking to hurt yourself severely as well as others... Of course these types of Accidents happen every year at every Resort... so Please do not Run Over Me while I am Cruisin around at Milk :biggthump

Obviously 70 iis a bit of an exaggeration, but still flying down racers edge is a ton of fun. Plus, there aren't any super blind rollers, so as long as you are paying attention, all is well.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Our new 6 place Leitner just had its pylons put in place. Went to see the helicopter dropping big chunks of steel yesterday : terrifying. 2 pylon sections in place with a 2 crews frantically torquing the bolts at the bottom and in the middle whilst the helico placed the head / gantry assembly on the top. I'll see if I can't scrounge up a photo or two later (my colleague had his big camera, which is why we managed to get half an hour off work to go watch...)