Note to New Members ×

WTF how could someone do this?

Michelle

http://www.npr.org/2011/02/01/<WBR>133403588/dogsledding-slump-bl<WBR>amed-for-tragic-dog-slaughter

WARNING - this article is graphic. The descriptions are horrific.

I am speechless to say the least - no sled dog owner in their right mind would ever do this. Apparently, he didn't. He forced one of his workers to do it. What a coward! Please do not think that this is how sled dog owners treat their dogs, because I know... that 99.9% of kennel owners treat their dogs like family. I work for a sled dog company and we care so much for these dogs!

Do not buy into the HSUS, ASPCA, and PETA's claims that dog sledding is cruel, because these are the actions of one cowardly inhumane *******.

I am heartbroken. This made me cry incredibly long and hard, to know that these dogs literally fought for their life. I could never imagine doing anything like this, especially the graphic descritions in this article.

What can we do? Write to the Canadian Humane Society? The judge prosecuting him? Does anyone know where he lives? Seriously, this guy needs to be tortured, burned, and shot then left to die.

Any ideas?

WARNING - this article is graphic. The descriptions are horrific.

I am speechless to say the least - no sled dog owner in their right mind would ever do this. Apparently, he didn't. He forced one of his workers to do it. What a coward! Please do not think that this is how sled dog owners treat their dogs, because I know... that 99.9% of kennel owners treat their dogs like family. I work for a sled dog company and we care so much for these dogs!

Do not buy into the HSUS, ASPCA, and PETA's claims that dog sledding is cruel, because these are the actions of one cowardly inhumane *******.

I am heartbroken. This made me cry incredibly long and hard, to know that these dogs literally fought for their life. I could never imagine doing anything like this, especially the graphic descritions in this article.

What can we do? Write to the Canadian Humane Society? The judge prosecuting him? Does anyone know where he lives? Seriously, this guy needs to be tortured, burned, and shot then left to die.

Any ideas?

Michelle - there is another side coming out on this. That the guy who did the killing actually raised the dogs. All of them. And while they knew they had too many dogs, he was the one managing, making the decision on who had to go and the method of their demise.

Sounds like he got nightmares and wanted compensation for his "trauma". Apparently he has made claims for compensation multiple times in the past.

Another dog story that I find reprehensible.

No dogs were killed, but a paraplegic Doctor from SLC had his service dog taken away by CCI because he let the dog off leash to be with his patients. Neuro rehab intern doc. And while he used his hand paddle bike to climb trails, including going to the top of Snowbird.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=14234771

the petition to e sign.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/returnelon/

If this results in some legislation, the debt will be partially paid.ANY sled dog operator who thinks it's a legitimate business model to keep that many dogs needs to be told otherwise. You can't possibly deal with hundreds of animals, who are kept outside. What do they do when the temps drop so low that even these dogs are in danger? Nothing. Most operators have no inside facilities.This is a cottage business, at best, with a maximum number of dogs set at two teams. at least then, the owner can handle most contingencies, including adopting out the odd dog. Adopting out a hundred dogs? Not going to happen.I know Bob Fawcett personally and could not beleive that this was done by him. I do want everyone to think, however, how they might react if they were told to perform a duty they were contractually obligated to do, or be terminated. If you have no savings and a family to support, you might be conflicted in the least.This last point is what has driven soldiers in and into the military for centuries and is an indictment of a system that puts profit before ethics. Have you ever seen the show "Life After People"? That's a good news story to me.

I know Bob Fawcett personally and could not beleive that this was done by him. I do want everyone to think, however, how they might react if they were told to perform a duty they were contractually obligated to do, or be terminated. If you have no savings and a family to support, you might be conflicted in the least.

You can always find another job. But you can never wipe something like this off your conscience, as it seems our man is finding out.

I know which choice I would have made. But then, I guess we're all different.

Unfortunately I think the same thing does (or did) happen with Greyhounds. Some owners view them as livestock. When they quit winning they're too expensive to feed. They dispense with them in the cheapest way they can.

I own a rescued Greyhound. They are some of the sweetest dogs in the world.

This is a real tragedy.

If this results in some legislation, the debt will be partially paid.ANY sled dog operator who thinks it's a legitimate business model to keep that many dogs needs to be told otherwise. You can't possibly deal with hundreds of animals, who are kept outside. What do they do when the temps drop so low that even these dogs are in danger? Nothing. Most operators have no inside facilities.This is a cottage business, at best, with a maximum number of dogs set at two teams. at least then, the owner can handle most contingencies, including adopting out the odd dog. Adopting out a hundred dogs? Not going to happen.I know Bob Fawcett personally and could not beleive that this was done by him. I do want everyone to think, however, how they might react if they were told to perform a duty they were contractually obligated to do, or be terminated. If you have no savings and a family to support, you might be conflicted in the least.This last point is what has driven soldiers in and into the military for centuries and is an indictment of a system that puts profit before ethics. Have you ever seen the show "Life After People"? That's a good news story to me.
Not true. We are a legitimate dog sled company that does tours every day, and have 140 dogs. However, we have many people to take care of them and we find homes for most of the retirees. The ones we don't, we keep and they live their life out at the yard. It's not THAT hard to find homes, you just have to try.

Any legitimate business knows when they are in trouble, and they should have started to try and find homes for them months ago. At the very least, call someone such as the humane society and they would have helped.

There was a kennel in southern colorado that was having some trouble, and allowed their dogs to starve. Some people that were concerned went to check on the dogs, and found some of them already dead. They immediately called the authorities, and they were taken in by shelters all over the state until they could find homes (we took 12, and then found them homes - it's NOT that hard). There are alternatives to the choices these people made.

And yes, if I was "Forced" to perform this kind of act, I would have immediatly called the authorities. Having a family to feed would not even come close to the guilt that I would have felt for what, $10/hr? I can make that checking groceries at the local supermarket. It's no excuse. And at what point do you think "this is just not right".

If you know this guy personally, Tell him I hope he burns, very painfully, in the worst hell possible. What an effin cowardly bastard.

Not true. We are a legitimate dog sled company that does tours every day, and have 140 dogs. However, we have many people to take care of them and we find homes for most of the retirees. The ones we don't, we keep and they live their life out at the yard. It's not THAT hard to find homes, you just have to try.

Any legitimate business knows when they are in trouble, and they should have started to try and find homes for them months ago. At the very least, call someone such as the humane society and they would have helped.

There was a kennel in southern colorado that was having some trouble, and allowed their dogs to starve. Some people that were concerned went to check on the dogs, and found some of them already dead. They immediately called the authorities, and they were taken in by shelters all over the state until they could find homes (we took 12, and then found them homes - it's NOT that hard). There are alternatives to the choices these people made.

And yes, if I was "Forced" to perform this kind of act, I would have immediatly called the authorities. Having a family to feed would not even come close to the guilt that I would have felt for what, $10/hr? I can make that checking groceries at the local supermarket. It's no excuse. And at what point do you think "this is just not right".

If you know this guy personally, Tell him I hope he burns, very painfully, in the worst hell possible. What an effin cowardly bastard.

Unfortunately I think the same thing does (or did) happen with Greyhounds. Some owners view them as livestock. When they quit winning they're too expensive to feed. They dispense with them in the cheapest way they can.

I own a rescued Greyhound. They are some of the sweetest dogs in the world.

This is a real tragedy.

True, and true. Please do not support greyhound racing, it's a horrible sport. But definitlely do adopt a greyhound, they are really mellow and very very sweet.

I would if I could, beleive me.

Thinking about this makes me very unhappy,as my last and present dogs are huskies from a musher. I look at her and wonder what would compel Bob could do what he did, a hundred times over. Maybe he sees his family in the street? Maybe he's gone bat**** crazy, or maybe he did it remorselessly and is using WC for a free lunch? I don't know, but I'd like to have some understanding, even if that realisation was simply that people do terrible things.

I still think there should be a restriction on the number of dogs a business can own and that the business prove it has facilities and resources to care for them. You have 140 dogs? They had 300. That's too many.

the Canadians at the SES are saying that the Canadian public is outraged! It is on the news there daily and now no one will ever give them another cent for tours (they also do rafting, snowmobiling, etc) and they for sure will be bankrupt within a year. My first reaction was GREAT but then what about the other dogs? I don't know for sure what is happening to them, if they have already been taken away or not.sick sick sick sick, and i still can't talk about it without tears coming to my eyes.

As a former malamute owner and a member of a malamute rescue, I can tell you, there would be dozens of rescues lining up to take these dogs, both mally and husky orgs...

As for sled dogs being unadoptable, that's a cop out. Any malamute owner will tell you, all mals are sled dogs

True, and true. Please do not support greyhound racing, it's a horrible sport. But definitlely do adopt a greyhound, they are really mellow and very very sweet.

I have some friends that rescued a greyhound from racing. She is the one of the sweetest dogs I have ever been around. Everytime I am at their house she greets me and then waits for praise and attention, she is one of the greatest dogs I have had the pleasure of meeting.

I can't imagine even going to "dog track" to watch the abuses that happen to these poor animals.