Note to New Members ×

deeluxe boot owners. mondo advice.

Termin8tor

my biggest concern is the length. heel and ankle are two diff sizes on each foot due to a break/sprain in hard boots in 08. i actually bought a pair of 325's last year and tore my acl b4 ever using them. they were 26 mondo and i was swimming in them length wise but ankle/heel fit fine. i just dont know if the 24 shell is going to be long enough without streching out the toebox.

If I measure my feet flat on the floor they are 27ish and I comfortably wear a 25. However if I measure my foot while arched (for example, feet on footbeds) then I am 25.something. I've tried a 24 and it would require significant shell stretching.

IMHO if you measure your foot arched and round down, you've got the best probability of hitting the right size.

thanks guys. i had another guy tell me that his mondo measured 29.5, so he bought 29's. he purchased the mis matched 700's and a few days of riding later is wishing he had bought 28's. he feels he has alot of room in the shell. I personally dont like the peiced together look of this years 700's and luckily bomber still has last years all whites in 24. Think ill give them a shot. I'll do a shell test b4 molding just to make sure, but im pretty confident that i'll fit.

It can be hard to get a good foot measurement. I have the same situation as Mike T and my experience is exactly what "another guy" told you: My foot measures about 29.5 relaxed, but more like 28.9 tensed, and probably less if I had a proper footbed. AF700/Indys were a horrible experience in 30 and 29 but pretty reasonable in 28. I got a lot of toe bang in the 29s as my foot, and a lot of twisting in the 29s and 30s, and of course lots of heel lift (narrow heels, wide forefeet, especially when relaxed). Hope that saves you some time on snow! I wasted quite a few nice days getting a decent setup.

It can be hard to get a good foot measurement. I have the same situation as Mike T and my experience is exactly what "another guy" told you: My foot measures about 29.5 relaxed, but more like 28.9 tensed, and probably less if I had a proper footbed.

If I were to start from scratch dealing with boots again, my first step, even before deciding what boot to get would be: get custom footbeds made. That way I would know the *real* length of my foot once it is properly supported. Then I would measure my foot in the footbed, knowing that this is how long it will be in the boot.

thanks guys. i had another guy tell me that his mondo measured 29.5, so he bought 29's. he purchased the mis matched 700's and a few days of riding later is wishing he had bought 28's. he feels he has alot of room in the shell. I personally dont like the peiced together look of this years 700's and luckily bomber still has last years all whites in 24. Think ill give them a shot. I'll do a shell test b4 molding just to make sure, but im pretty confident that i'll fit.

Since you are in Maine take advantage of Erik Beckmann up at Sugarloaf if you need boot work done. I had custom footbeds made by him with some shell stretching and grinding to get it to the right fit.

The boot fit instructions only work for some people, because it only takes into account the shell length, and not shell volume, and the Thermoflex/Intuition liners can only make up so much volume. In my case, the finger test showed I fit the size 27 shells, but because of my narrow ankles and lower volume foot and calves, I had gobs of heel lift even after molding the liners.

Sure, there's always exceptions. I had heel lift in my boots too, and *finally* (after so many years) i got a pair of Super feet, and now they fit fantastic. If you go down a size to accomodate for the heel lift, then you won't have any room for your toes. There will always be exceptions to the rule, but with the Thermo Flex liner they get pretty close.

IMHO "measure your feet in their athletic, arched position- if possible, on the set of footbeds you'll use in your boots" applies to the majority. So many folks , including myself, "size down" when we measure flat-footed, but when we measure our feet in the position in which we actually ride, it gives the correct size.

There will always be exceptions to the rule, but with the Thermo Flex liner they get pretty close.

I've used both Thermoflex and Intuition liners in a variety of both hard boots and soft boots, and in my experience, they are much less a cure-all than they're made out to be. The heat molding process will definitely fix places where they're too tight, but won't do too much for places where they're too loose.

I know Deeluxe boots work well for a lot of people, but I think there are better options for people with wide forefeet or narrow ankles.