Note to New Members ×

Is my stance too wide?

zoltan

So...

I'm 6'1" tall, with a 33.5" inseam. I started the season with a 19.5" stance width on a Coiler VSR 173.

After playing around with my new board I widened my stance to 20.75", and I loved it. It felt like I could generate more power, while being easier move my weight forward and back, and it was much more stable in choppy snow.

So last weekend I decided to go even a little wider, and set it to 21.25". It's right at the point where it feels a liiiiiiiiiiiittle too wide, but feels even better when actually riding it. My bindings are now centered on the furthest apart inserts.

So, what, if anything, am I losing out on going with such a wide stance?

Just curious if I'm overlooking something.

No cant, toe lift in front, heel lift in the rear.

By how much?

I also widen my stance with less lift on both front and rear [Due to switching OS2 (4/7.5) to F2 (3/6) ] on my last visit and felt little uncomfortable. So I'll be also playing with stance and lifts to find the SPOT.

a good way to find out might be to carpet-carve, but without your boots clipped up. that way you'll be holding yourself upright purely with muscle, rather than any boot reinforcement fore/aft.

if you feel balanced and comfortable, and your calves are in equal contact with your boot liners, i'd say you're fine.

i run about 20½" with the same lift on f2 bindings, front and back. 65/70° though. more forward lean in the rear boot.

There is a whole geometry thing thats got to do with the beginning and end of the side cut, Need to ask Sean or Bruce about that. But mostly its how it feels to your body. Go as wide as inserts and comfort will allow. Flexibility will have some impact on this as well.

Im 5-10 and if I go over 19.5 its just to awkward. There have been some equations put out there in the past but Im not sure there is an actual "rule" for this though.

It's right at the point where it feels a liiiiiiiiiiiittle too wide, but feels even better when actually riding it.

That's always been good enough for me! Why not stick with it for a while, and then try going narrower and see if you had "lost" anything?

Me: 5'10", 30" inseam, 19-20" wide stance depending on the board.

So last weekend I decided to go even a little wider, and set it to 21.25". It's right at the point where it feels a liiiiiiiiiiiittle too wide, but feels even better when actually riding it. My bindings are now centered on the furthest apart inserts.

Now, try this wide stance with a plate and feel the magic! I think I am pushing 21.5 to 22 inches when on plates with comfort!

Think Snow!

verrrry interesting thing happened last night. My disclaimer is that I'm on TD2's, with only 3* disks available, so I have not dialed in my cant/lift quite yet. buuuut:

Started last night with a 19" stance. I'm 5'10" 31 inseam. Front quad burning. So I widen it to 19.5. Less front quad burning. Widen it to 19.75 or however far one TD2 insert disk hole is. Can't initiate toeside stops or turns - WTF? For kicks, I widen it to 20". Now I'm regaining toeside control and feeling much more power in the board and in my turns.

This was on a board I haven't ridden before, with a totally new sidecut (11.7). I am really beginning to think that my stance is very dependent on an external factor, like sidecut or board length, because on my slalom board I run a 19.5" stance no problem.

How much of this is dependent upon cant/lift, I can't say, but I did not change my cant/lift when I changed my stance.

Love the durability of TD2's...hate adjusting them.

VERY interesting thread. I've often felt od going above 19.5" on any board, and I'm 5'11" with 31" inseam. That equation works out to be 19.5! Rad! Anyhow, widder will feel like a more controllable stance, but as you stay centered on a bolt pattern of a board, it will cause it to behave differently, since we all favor a leg. I tend to rocker back ALOT in my riding, extending a carve out longer(probably a habit of riding <10m scr decks), so I set mine back a bit from center to give me that happy spot I enjoy.

It really is feel on a particular board, just make sure to take notes!!!

Recommending Stance = [(Height / 3.5) + (Inseam x 0.6)] / 2

I've always been curious about my stance width, wondering if it was too wide or not. Right now it's at 18.5".

So I'm 5'4"(64"/3.5=18.29) and my inseam is 28"(28" x 0.6=16.8) 18.29+16.8=35.09. And 35.09/2=17.55. Interesting, could I be an inch too wide?

I've always been curious about my stance width, wondering if it was too wide or not. Right now it's at 18.5".

So I'm 5'4"(64"/3.5=18.29) and my inseam is 28"(28" x 0.6=16.8) 18.29+16.8=35.09. And 35.09/2=17.55. Interesting, could I be an inch too wide?

No sir. I guess the formula just try to find a spot to start with. whatever comfortable stance should be your stance. But those formula sure gave some thoughts.

So I am odd man out, gorilla like frame (6-3 270), with 13 feet, I started riding a really narrow stance way back when in hopes of allowing the board to flex more freely for smaller quicker turns and maximum G's. At the time that was the way to go and may still be in certain circles, then when you were maxed out you brought your knees together and cranked even tighter turns. I have never been able to pull this off with consistency and usually end up getting tossed off the ride. Obviously there were some drawbacks, primarily in stability on anything other than groomed runs. It did however force you to become well balanced and when throwing on your freestyle board you feel invincible ha ha. Having read all the posts on here I will be sure to experiment and may even try the "gas pedal" Snowman swears by. Oh and the stance was and is a wee 16", long live the anomaly...

Up to this season I had Tropical Tube(Lui) GS 185 custom build for a racer and the max stance I could get out of it was 50cm (19,6 inch). The stance was ok for me and I did not even consider going wider 1. because I could`t and 2. I didn`t think it would improve my riding.

OOOH How wrong I was!!

This year I got my hands on a black top Kessler GS 185 :1luvu:and after reading this thread I experimented a bit and came to the same conclusions as Zoltan!

I`m now riding 52.5 cm (20,67inch) stance 3 deg front lift (flat) and 6 deg back lift (inward cant) and it feels awesome:biggthump. Much more stable than before and because you can tuck in better, more power during a carve.