Buck Hill 2010/11

bobble

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td><b>Date</b></td><td>1/1/2011</td></tr><tr><td><b>Temp</b></td><td>1F, warmed to 10F</td></tr><tr><td><b>Visibility</b></td><td>stgarted out crappy, got better</td></tr><tr><td><b>Conditions</b></td><td>hard fast snow</td></tr><tr><td><b>Hardbooters</b></td><td> 2 (me, joe)</td></tr></table>

Morning

went out. flat light. hard snow. gusty wind.

first two runs i got rocked to the backseat. on one run i experienced slight vertigo. tore my pants on the knee and hip. at 9:30 am i considered going into the chalet to collect my thoughts. it wasn't fun. saw joe at the top. it was the encouragement i needed. after he made his runs he thought it would be best to head over to warners. in his own words he thought with the flat light and fast snow that it was "dangerous". we tore up warners. had it to ourselves. while we were there the ski patrol complimented us. the sun light started to improve. at around 10:30 am it was partly cloudy with sun so we ventured back to crossroads. it was muy excellente!!!

joe took off. i warmed up in the chalet. talked to rick h. for awhile. went back out on crossroads and milkrun -- it was AWESOME!!! the sun was completely out. i nearly had the runs to myself. didn't want to leave. had best runs of the day. felt great but i was getting tired and hungry. left at 1 pm.

the boot gloves made a difference. normally when the temp is in the teens my toes get cold after an hour. i didn't go in for two hours and even then my feet were fine.

re: sunday... i won't be out until probably afternoon. have plans with ms. bobble and friends -- its International Moira Day. others are heading to 44.560753;-92.729244

I'll be out early on teles with the monkey's.

Scuff- Just got back from Nordic at Theodore Wirth, it was firm and fast on icyish, windblown cord. It took a bit of a delicate touch to keep an edge but Hyland would be a good bet for tomorrow.

Walk the rice paper grasshopper:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCyJRXvPNRo&feature=related

:ices_ange

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td><b>Date</b></td><td>1/2/2011</td></tr><tr><td><b>Temp</b></td><td>10F</td></tr><tr><td><b>Visibility</b></td><td>night</td></tr><tr><td><b>Conditions</b></td><td>crap</td></tr><tr><td><b>Hardbooters</b></td><td> 1</td></tr></table>

Evening

I read erik's post. Herh herh herh.

Know what to expect I did not when I arrived at Buck Hill. Yeesssssss.

With me I brought the Rossignol. Hold an edge at all the board could not. Too fast for conditions, the board was. Herh herh herh.

I lost a toe-side edge and almost slid into a tower. Hmmmmmm.

Too much chunky and chipped ice, there was. Uncarveable, Crossroads was. Yeesssssss. Completely rutted, Milkrun and Warners were. Yes, hmmm.

I left after four runs.

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td><b>Date</b></td><td>1/4/11</td></tr><tr><td><b>Temp</b></td><td>7F </td></tr><tr><td><b>Visibility</b></td><td>night</td></tr><tr><td><b>Conditions</b></td><td>hard pack</td></tr><tr><td><b>Hardbooters</b></td><td> 1</td></tr></table>

Evening

hard pack. some ice. extremely fast! it was difficult to control speed and hold an edge. had to slow down and restart.

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td><b>Date</b></td><td>1/5/11</td></tr><tr><td><b>Temp</b></td><td>20F </td></tr><tr><td><b>Visibility</b></td><td>night</td></tr><tr><td><b>Conditions</b></td><td>lets just say not ideal</td></tr><tr><td><b>Hardbooters</b></td><td>1</td></tr></table>

Evening

stayed on crossroads. snow was not as hard packed as yesterday but there were piles here and there. it was choppy towards the bottom. skiers-right had some ruts.

milkrun was rutted. warners had some small ruts.

seemed like a lot of kids were out skiing and snowboarding. almost every run started with people dropping in from olympic.

looking forward to cord. so dreamy. :sleep:

FYI, D-Team races at Buck Saturday & Sunday. 200 kids Saturday, 400 on Sunday, Using Warner's Way, Olympic Dreams & Milk Run both days. They start right away at 9am.

And tomorrow Friday, is the Buck invite. All the high school teams will be there, with parents, tents, and general mayhem.

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td><b>Date</b></td><td>1/6/11</td></tr><tr><td><b>Temp</b></td><td>20F</td></tr><tr><td><b>Visibility</b></td><td>evening</td></tr><tr><td><b>Conditions</b></td><td>better</td></tr><tr><td><b>Hardbooters</b></td><td> 1</td></tr></table>

Evening

better than last night. there wasn't as much piles of snow. smoother. less sketching.

my ass found a patch or two where the snow was scraped off.

a lot of people there tonite. definitely more people on the runs.

with all the races going on i'm trying to decide if i should go to afton or spirit. hell... hyland?

if i should go to afton or spirit. hell... hyland?

.... -.-- .-.. .- -. -.. .-. . .--. --- .-. -

Hyland Report

Snow conditions at Hyland have continued to be excellent for carving. Hardpack with a top layer of granular forming in the evenings. Had a couple skid-outs while riding on South, when the snow crumbled away under my weight..

(but that sorta happens everywhere..) Surprisingly little traffic on the hill..

I'd avoid Saturday or Sunday.. You might get an hour before trails are flooded with lessons..

Note Wednesday, the head bearing on the North Chair was damaged. So they were down to only two lifts. Was estimated to be repaired by Friday/Saturday.

I might be game for a Spirit day trip.

FYI, D-Team races at Buck Saturday & Sunday. 200 kids Saturday, 400 on Sunday, Using Warner's Way, Olympic Dreams & Milk Run both days. They start right away at 9am.

Around 3 PM all the gates will be gone, and by 4:30 PM the kids will be gone. I'm hoping to get in a few turns at Buck on Sunday if I am not too busy. It will be cold in the AM.

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td><b>Date</b></td><td>1/9/2011</td></tr><tr><td><b>Temp</b></td><td>good enough</td></tr><tr><td><b>Visibility</b></td><td>sunny</td></tr><tr><td><b>Conditions</b></td><td>well, it was okay i guess</td></tr><tr><td><b>Hardbooters</b></td><td> 5 (me, bruce, bionic man, steve, bonzo)</td></tr></table>

Morning

place was packed. crazy. when i left the parking lot was full. had the shuttle bus going. there was an employee up near the little shack on the northside of the lot checking for open slots and using the radidio.

yeah, races. i know... i was warned. needed to be close to home.

kids were coming onto crossroads from milkrun and olympic. it was a real test of patience. also required looking uphill on toe-sides. it was bad. lots of sketching. erik bailed early.

i had my best runs starting at 11:30 am. thats when the kids went in for lunch. by that time the snow was already chewed up. i tried venturing on to milkrun and was rewarded with ice and bone jarring chatter. it hurt my ankles and knees.

met a guy at the lift line who sounded like bob marley. even had dred locks. he was on a snowboard. "ohh man! what you call dat board?". told him it was an alpine snowboard. he says "ohh man! tis fun to watch u ride man!!! getting all low man!! fun to watch!!!". jammin!

nice to meet you bonzo.

bruce

here's the tweek-o-matic. you'll have to figure out what works for you.

follow these steps for front boot:

1. using the Base Plate slider control, move it so that the base plate is 60 (default setting).

2. uncheck "Plate Visible" to hide the plate.

3. the Cant Disk setting is at 90 degrees (default setting). the thicker edge of the disk is at the very bottom. if you look closely you'll see the image has the three indentations (3 deg cant) which is the thicker edge. its important to look at this so you get idea of how the cants work.

4. move the slider for the cant disk to the left at about negative 120 (or type in -120 in the text box and hit enter). note how the cant disk rotates. compare this image to your set up. look closely at the image and see where the notch is with respect to the center disk (red). even though you moved it to -120, its really at 60 degrees if you look hard at the notch.

5. place a check in the "Plate Visible" checkbox to restore the plate image.

6. look at the graph. the left hand side will say 0.0 degrees, the right hand side reads -3.0 degrees. its saying that you have pure toe-lift (not sure why its a negative number).

7. move the Base Plate slider back and forth and watch how the numbers go up and down. my interpretation is that if the cant degree has the same polarity sign (positive or negative) as the lift, then its inward canting. if you lower the base plate angle from 60 to to 55, you end up with 0.3 degrees inward canting. i'm not advocating any canting on front boot. just remember that the front boot gets toe lift, the rear gets heel lift.

these steps are for the rear boot:

8. find the the little buttons next to the Base Plate sider. select "6 deg".

9. uncheck the "Plate Visible" check box.

10. move the Cant Disk slide control to positive 60. note the position of the cant disk.

11. check the "Plate Visible" checkbox to restore the base plate.

12. slide the base plate control to 54 degrees.

13. look at the graph. its showing positive numbers. since the cant number has the same sign as lift, then its showing inward canting of about 0.6 degrees with 6 lift.

14. go and experiment. record your results.

for reference here's my setup:

front: 3 deg cant disk positioned at 60 degrees of center disk, base at ~62 degrees. according to the tweek-o-matic this yields 3 degree toe lift. there might be some slight outward canting.

rear: 6 degree cant disk positioned at 60 degrees, base at ~58 degrees, yields 6 degrees heel lift with about 0.2 degrees of inward cant

Early Sunday eve. 4-6pm.

Hardbooters 1.5

(me... and I saw a Burton FP on the rack on my way to the lift. )

D team was doing awarDs and light was flat when I arrived.

As soon as the lights came on, everything started ripping.

Was carving hard and everything stuck.

S-Challenge on milk run.

There were some left over ruts in Olympic and a surprise course popped up on warners. Wasn't there, then it was. Surprise!!

See that i nis-read MUDs post. Thought you guys would be out at 4;30. Oops.

That's why you didn't show. :(

Also goofed and accidentally picked up the wrong wrist watch.

Wore GPS/heart rate monitor instead.

Couldn't tell time, but did log a couple runs with elevation, distance and speed.

<table><tbody><tr><th width="125"></th></tr><tr><td>Date</td><td>1/9/2011</td></tr><tr><td>Temp</td><td>good enough</td></tr><tr><td>Visibility</td><td>sunny</td></tr><tr><td>Conditions</td><td>well, it was okay i guess</td></tr><tr><td>Hardbooters</td><td> 5 (me, bruce, bionic man, steve, bonzo)</td></tr></tbody></table>

Morning

place was packed. crazy. when i left the parking lot was full. had the shuttle bus going. there was an employee up near the little shack on the northside of the lot checking for open slots and using the radidio.

yeah, races. i know... i was warned. needed to be close to home.

kids were coming onto crossroads from milkrun and olympic. it was a real test of patience. also required looking uphill on toe-sides. it was bad. lots of sketching. erik bailed early.

i had my best runs starting at 11:30 am. thats when the kids went in for lunch. by that time the snow was already chewed up. i tried venturing on to milkrun and was rewarded with ice and bone jarring chatter. it hurt my ankles and knees.

nice to meet you bonzo.

It was great to meet the Buck Sunday Crew. The snow was nicely groomed took an edge well at 9 AM. The only downside was that I had carve pretty much down the fall line with the high traffic.

After 2:30 PM, Milk run was wide open. Other than the fact that the snow had gone away due to the traffic, it was great. My kid had a great time racing.

Patrol traffic was much less than Afton = more boarding. Thanks to the Buck Patrol for letting me guest patrol.

I am really going to try and make the MES so I can see the crew again.