Note to New Members ×

Buck Hill 2010/11

bobble

Had my new board out on Sunday morning.

Thank you, thank you, thank you Bobble for helping me get things "in order." Will take the new board to "UP" this weekend and gradually get used to it (I hope). New board won't see a race course for a few weeks.

Have a great week!

The Grinch.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td><b>Date</b></td><td>1/11/11</td></tr><tr><td><b>Temp</b></td><td>18F</td></tr><tr><td><b>Visibility</b></td><td>night</td></tr><tr><td><b>Conditions</b></td><td>new snow -- sucked for carving</td></tr><tr><td><b>Hardbooters</b></td><td> 1-1/2 (me, though i saw ben)</td></tr></table>

Evening

got there about 7:30 pm. thought i saw ben when i was heading up for the first run. didn't see him.

new snow. there wasn't alot of push piles but it was thick in some areas. focused on keeping the hands off the snow. nervous about buring the nose. in the middle it difficult to maintain the edge. too many bumps.

carving was difficult and the racers were frisky.

:eplus2::eplus2::eplus2::eplus2::eplus2:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsORoY8srk8?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsORoY8srk8?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td><b>Date</b></td><td>1/12/11</td></tr><tr><td><b>Temp</b></td><td>12F but with a nasty wind chill </td></tr><tr><td><b>Visibility</b></td><td>evening</td></tr><tr><td><b>Conditions</b></td><td>firm, hard snow with bumps</td></tr><tr><td><b>Hardbooters</b></td><td>1</td></tr></table>

Evening

snow was really firm. very fast. some areas had top snow scraped away. the top half was okay. was leaving pencil thin lines at the top but the bottom half was hard. it was bumpy and had long vertical channels. couldn't control my speed, had to skid through the bumps.

it was very cold -- my toes got cold quick after an hour. it would've sucked to be in a speed suit.

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td><b>Date</b></td><td>1/14/11</td></tr><tr><td><b>Temp</b></td><td>18F </td></tr><tr><td><b>Visibility</b></td><td>crap</td></tr><tr><td><b>Conditions</b></td><td>good</td></tr><tr><td><b>Hardbooters</b></td><td> 3 (me, greg, ben)</td></tr></table>

Morning

greg and ben came out to play. snow was decent but the lighting sucked. it was very busy. i was surprised. one had to be on constant lookout for out of control suicidal kids -- the ones that head down the hill screaming with arms and legs outstretched and then wipe out at the bottom.

Klepto Middle School

anyways, ben and i went in the chalet to rehydrate. kids were just hanging out and getting wild. none of the kids were dressed to go outside. looked like they were dressed to go skating at skateville. we could barely hear each other talk. some girls were shreiking non-stop. a chaperone came over and told them to knock it off.

don't they put ritalin in the drinking fountain at school???

we sat in the back part on a long table to ourselves. we were just sitting there and this kid sits next to us. at some point the kid takes off with ben's gloves without us noticing because our backs were turned. get up to head back out at which point ben realizes the gloves are gone. he hunts down the chaperone who was not much help which just added to the frustration. they get to talking. the chaperone explains "the kids need this activity" to which ben responds "... and i need my gloves to snowboard!". ben eventually recovers them outside in the snow but it took a long time to find them.

@bobd -- i hope you didn't have to teach these kids to ski today.

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td><b>Date</b></td><td>1/15/11</td></tr><tr><td><b>Temp</b></td><td>18F </td></tr><tr><td><b>Visibility</b></td><td>sunny</td></tr><tr><td><b>Conditions</b></td><td>high five</td></tr><tr><td><b>Hardbooters</b></td><td> 2 (me, joe)</td></tr></table>

Morning

great day! joe and i gave milkrun an anal fissure prior to ski challenge. it was great to be able to get out on the run with no gates. had it for several runs. i was jumping out of the knoll and landing toe-side carves.

on milkrun, snow was soft in areas. trenches were deep and intimidating. both of us almost got tripped up by them.

after they set up gates it was back to crossroads. it got choppy quick. joe did the olympic tow.

around 10:30 am or so, we both switched boards. joe went from F2 to Kessler. i switched to donek with cateks. for me, it was a huge mistake. first, my range of movement in my legs felt wrong. i tried making two adjustments on the run. it helped but it was just barely rideable. there was soooo much vibration in my soles. the yellow yummy gummy bears on my td3 have spoiled me.

bobd caught us in a compromising position on the top. joe was bent over as i was trying to see if my boot would fit into joe's rear binding. it didn't.

ski jammers showed up but it wasn't too crowded.

1-19-11

-6F

Clear Night vis

Hardpack. Leftover race ruts and about 10 brave skiers.

Hardbooters (1)

Boiler Plate arrived yesterday so I took it out for a spin.

Made it four runs before my neck, forehead, wrists and toes froze over.

Tragedy strikes:

Over the many years of boarding,

I have saved EVERY lift pass that I have ever purchased.

When I arrived home this evening, noticed that last weekends

Lift tickets (Park City and the Canyons) were missing from my jacket.

• Sad face •

How was the Boiler Plate????? :biggthump

Well... It's a definite difference in performance.

I've already made some adjustments to the settings, but going to need more than

four short frosty runs to evaluate, appreciate, and describe exactly what those differences in performance are.

(I wish I had two of the same boards to do a side-by-side with/without riser comparison.)

I've had some of the same feel when first riding the Hangl plate.

There is added weight, but having your feet on the same plane - and unaltered by the board flex is simply a treat.

Fin had described to me, the loss of "Pedal Power" and those minute ankle adjustments that you use

(especially at low speed and when skating on and off the chairlift)

For the increase in carve-ability, you do seem to loose a bit of skid-ability.

I only landed on my face once. Jess was at the bottom and provided fruit snacks and moral support -

she said 'Wow - are you okay? I don't usually see that much air between you and the ground..'

New Crossroads skill unlocked: Toe Side Carve into Sideways launch with Belly Flop.

Trying it out in the SL course tonight. If practice is canceled due to weather, then I'll head over to Buck.

I am already skeptical that my 166 F2 is getting too-soft, so also planning to try the plate on a 184 F2 and a 185 Kessler.

Oh - Met Dave Tille from Hardbooter while out in Park City - he says to say "Hi!"

UPDATE 1-21-11

Made some adjustments to the plate and rode it again last night in a tight SL course under hardpack conditions.

Incredible - It was good to find out first hand what all the buzz is about.

Trying it out in the SL course tonight. If practice is canceled due to weather, then I'll head over to Buck.

I am already skeptical that my 166 F2 is getting too-soft, so also planning to try the plate on a 184 F2 and a 185 Kessler.

Oh - Met Dave Tille from Hardbooter while out in Park City - he says to say "Hi!"

If your practice is canceled, you can always come out to stubby night at Afton on Sunday to try it out in a course. We can set whatever you want or both (GS and SL)

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td><b>Date</b></td><td>1/22/11</td></tr><tr><td><b>Temp</b></td><td>0F </td></tr><tr><td><b>Visibility</b></td><td>sunny</td></tr><tr><td><b>Conditions</b></td><td>excellent</td></tr><tr><td><b>Hardbooters</b></td><td> 2 (me, erik)</td></tr></table>

Morning

it was 0F on the message board. first run on milk i found the one and only missing pole from a gate. it was buried under the snow. diabolical.

courses were set up on all runs. ski jammers showed up. it didn't seem too crowded but the cold weather probably kept people away. maybe 2-3 runs i had to wait.

erik and i carved it up. snow was great... maybe a little slow. around 10:30-ish we went in for a break. it was cold! erik rewarded himself with a nutritious snack. went back out. switched to my 9m elan. was tough at first. rode okay. feels flimsy.

we had some positive comments from a few people. a skier stopped at the top to talk to us. said that he wanted his son to ride carve boards.

Conspiracy Theory

forget who i was talking to about Conspiracty Theory. i crack up when i see jesse spouting his theories. its so bad its funny. like "Dude Where's My Car"

ben was at that remote airstrip during the interview! (hint: flying cloud).

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps-p24YujPk?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps-p24YujPk?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td><b>Date</b></td><td>1/23/11</td></tr><tr><td><b>Temp</b></td><td>-4F </td></tr><tr><td><b>Visibility</b></td><td>sunny</td></tr><tr><td><b>Conditions</b></td><td>excellent</td></tr><tr><td><b>Hardbooters</b></td><td> 2 (me, erik, scuff, bobd)</td></tr></table>

Morning

snow was excellent... for the short time i was there.

2nd to last run i felt and heard something midway down. thought it was the binding so i stopped to check. felt ok. took another run and my rear boot felt loose. stopped again. couldn't figure it out. went to the chalet. took my boot glove off and the cant screw and plastic piece fell out.

closer inspection at home... the cant nut/washer was sheered. fortunately i have my suzukas for spare parts.

i was pissed. seem to have bad luck with boots.

off to buy red loc-tite.

might go back out later.

Zoinks! Today must have been the day for breaking stuff.

Was showing bobble my plate when we noticed

That my board was delaminating. No wonder it's been riding soft!

About 1-2mm of separation on Heel side, starting under the front foot and going back about 16". I suspect that it has been happenin for a while now.

Wonder how much longer it will last?

fixed my boot. :biggthump

ace is the place.

went out in the evening. had crossroads to myself. no waiting. around 7:30 pm, it got busy. doug and karl showed up. i left after 8 pm. the wind was blowing from the south so the left side of my face was becoming painful.

snow was good as this morning. might've been faster.

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td><b>Date</b></td><td>1/28/2011</td></tr><tr><td><b>Temp</b></td><td>27F </td></tr><tr><td><b>Visibility</b></td><td>crappy</td></tr><tr><td><b>Conditions</b></td><td>crappy</td></tr><tr><td><b>Hardbooters</b></td><td>a crappy one</td></tr></table>

Afternoon

got out for about 45 minutes. light was flat. snow was not so great. ice was showing especially on milkrun at the top. the ice looked like a washboard over there. there was a couple spots on crossroads that had patches of ice. some parts were okay but didn't feel i had enough confidence in my edges. big turns. fell down only once and that occured on my last run.

way too much traffic coming from olympic and the park. had to wait. ski teams showed up so i took off.

WV on sunday.

post-1112-141842333392_thumb.jpg

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td><b>Date</b></td><td>1/29/2011</td></tr><tr><td><b>Temp</b></td><td>27F </td></tr><tr><td><b>Visibility</b></td><td>flat</td></tr><tr><td><b>Conditions</b></td><td>good</td></tr><tr><td><b>Hardbooters</b></td><td> 1 (?) </td></tr></table>

Morning

short morning for me. on the run at 8:45 am. got maybe 5-6 runs. left at 9:15 am. snow was decent. light was flat. had some lower back pain. probably would've lasted a little longer had the lighting been better.

just as well.

sucks to be me. have lower back pain. no boarding.

ms. bobble and i went to jensen's cafe in burnsville for immediate gastro-intestinal care. usually we go there in the off-season.

had me the stuffed french toast -- filled with triple berry jam and cream cheese. the maple syrup!!!! i dunno what they put in that syrup. so goooood.

5401356712_c57ff002d9.jpg

Death by French Toast by bobble, on Flickr

seriously, whenever we go there i can only eat half the order. the rest we take home. i pour the rest of the syrup bottle into the take-out box.

ms. bobble had the ham scrambelot. she says its better than perkins.

about to fall into a coma.

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td><b>Date</b></td><td>1/30/2011</td></tr><tr><td><b>Temp</b></td><td>19F </td></tr><tr><td><b>Visibility</b></td><td>Cloudy then sunny</td></tr><tr><td><b>Conditions</b></td><td>good to start then it iced up</td></tr><tr><td><b>Hardbooters</b></td><td> Lots!!! </td></tr></table>

Lots of hardbooters out with the races going on. I did find spots of ice on Milkrun and Crossroads. By Noon the ice was showing up quite a bit. Scott and I had fun under the chair on Olympic Dreams.

Great seeing all the racers out.

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td><b>Date</b></td><td>2/3/2011</td></tr><tr><td><b>Temp</b></td><td>15F </td></tr><tr><td><b>Visibility</b></td><td>evening</td></tr><tr><td><b>Conditions</b></td><td>variable</td></tr><tr><td><b>Hardbooters</b></td><td> 1</td></tr></table>

Evening

got there about 7pm. racers were warming up on crossroads. took a few runs but got weirded out. went over to warners. snow was very firm. edges left thin and deep lines. i went back to crossroads and took a few more runs. it was variable. a few ice patches. skiers kept coming down the run.

will be out tomorrow morning.

Epilogue

seriously. sums up my day. so damn bored. nothing to do. :sleep:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/96tscjm5Sq0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

next week i have a job interview for my current job just so that i can keep it for 1-2 months. progress! :freak3: