Note to New Members ×

Buck Hill 2010/11

bobble

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td><b>Date</b></td><td>12/18/2010</td></tr><tr><td><b>Temp</b></td><td>12F</td></tr><tr><td><b>Visibility</b></td><td>flat</td></tr><tr><td><b>Conditions</b></td><td>variable</td></tr><tr><td><b>Hardbooters</b></td><td> 3 (me, erik, mark s.)</td></tr></table>

Morning

only out for an hour.

the flat light was tolerable. snow was good. the ski jammers showed up and all hell broke loose. erik and i were watching from the chair lift as they all decended at once down crossroads. what a clusterkcuf!!! i think we lasted maybe 1-2 runs afterwards. not worth it.

Mills Fleet Farm

went to mills. bought yellow tinted shooting range glasses for $12. hope they work.

mills is great. where else can one find veterinary grade pharmaceuticals, farm boy bling, fire arms, and nut goodie?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vprC-IsneTk?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vprC-IsneTk?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

twang!

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td><b>Date</b></td><td>12/19/2010</td></tr><tr><td><b>Temp</b></td><td>12F</td></tr><tr><td><b>Visibility</b></td><td>Sunny</td></tr><tr><td><b>Conditions</b></td><td>Totally Awesome</td></tr><tr><td><b>Hardbooters</b></td><td> 8? (Me, Bruce, Joe, Mark, Bob D, Tom, Steve, Rufus, Am I Forgetting Anyone?)</td></tr></table>

Sunday AM

Great snow, bright sun, good carver turnout. The D-Team race added to the number of people on the hill and shut down Warner's and Olympic but wasn't a problem for the most part.

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td><b>Date</b></td><td>12/22/2010</td></tr><tr><td><b>Temp</b></td><td>34F</td></tr><tr><td><b>Visibility</b></td><td>Sunny at first then flat light</td></tr><tr><td><b>Conditions</b></td><td>soft cord</td></tr><tr><td><b>Hardbooters</b></td><td> 1 (Me)</td></tr></table>

I got there at 10:15. The sun on the drive there was very nice. I thought, this could be a great day, then I get to the parking lot. I had to park by the tubing hill, okay that's a lot of people but it can't be that bad.

I get my ticket at the secret location and head out. Massive line going in for tickets. Well okay that might get bad.

I head up the lift and see a skier and snowboarder collide. No ones hurt but that's pretty early for that.

Start my run on Crossroads. There are newbies, racers and all others out there. Pick my time and go. Snow is nice but laying some deep trenches.

FF to my third run. Space things out and get 3/4s of the way down and get clipped from the rear my a boarder. He asked if I was okay and took off.

Did a few runs on Olympic then it was enough.

Got out of my car at 10:15, left at 11:15. Todays motto:

"Amateur hour at the sh!+ show!"

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td><b>Date</b></td><td>12/22/2010</td></tr><tr><td><b>Temp</b></td><td>34F</td></tr><tr><td><b>Visibility</b></td><td>Sunny at first then flat light</td></tr><tr><td><b>Conditions</b></td><td>soft cord</td></tr><tr><td><b>Hardbooters</b></td><td> 1 (Me)</td></tr></table>

I got there at 10:15. The sun on the drive there was very nice. I thought, this could be a great day, then I get to the parking lot. I had to park by the tubing hill, okay that's a lot of people but it can't be that bad.

I get my ticket at the secret location and head out. Massive line going in for tickets. Well okay that might get bad.

I head up the lift and see a skier and snowboarder collide. No ones hurt but that's pretty early for that.

Start my run on Crossroads. There are newbies, racers and all others out there. Pick my time and go. Snow is nice but laying some deep trenches.

FF to my third run. Space things out and get 3/4s of the way down and get clipped from the rear my a boarder. He asked if I was okay and took off.

In the future, I'm going to try to get contact info from those who hit me from behind. You sometimes won't know until later, that you have broken a bone, or wrecked your board. Accidents happen, and I accept that, but when I consider how much consideration I give other slope users, trying very hard to include wide margins for error in what I do, I do get a bit peeved. I think that law in Colorado reminds people that there might be consequences for taking chances with other people's safety.

Anyway glad it was minor Eric.

@erik, sucks to be hit behind. more importantly, is the board okay? :rolleyes:

went in the evening. trent showed up.

snow was soft. i fell over a few times. trent fell once ON HIS METAL BOARD. i thought there was a guarantee on those boards to give the user god-like powers? while he was on the ground i summoned an avalanche as i swept by him.

hardly crowded. occasionally people would shoot across from olympic.

a ski patroller complimented us -- said we were "fluffing" up the run. poor choice of words.

we were on the chair. midway up this skier starts yelling at us about how discourteous we were to people trying to teach their kids to ski. he acted like he worked there. ;)

milkrun was already rutted up. i didn't even bother.

have the day off thursday. might go to buck in the morning.

finished my day at buck. wanted to close the place down, but couldn't. my legs just didn't have enough in them.

the snow was soft, but not like welch. welch was slushy, buck felt like they had a few inches of new snow. it held pretty well, but you could lose an edge if you pushed too hard. we had the run pretty much to ourselves. there were ski teams there when i arrived at 4, but they cleared out by 5:30 or so. no beer league either tonight, so it was wide open.

but, like bob said, there were ruts. once the lights came on, you could see them. really had to look ahead on milkrun to either jump over, or launch off of the ruts.

so yeah, i fall on crossroads. being the super considerate rider that i am, i sit on my ass to watch bobble do a fly-by. must be a no fly-by rule in effect tonight. he comes at me, at sends a wall of snow over me. it's too bad he didn't hear the chairlift! first i heard lots of "OH!" and "DANG!". then i hear, "DO IT TO HIM!". finally i hear "nice board". i'm glad they liked the show as much as i did. :biggthump totally unexpected, and funny, to be sprayed by bobble.

long day today. i feel it now, and i'm afraid of what i'm going to feel like tomorrow.

-trent

so yeah, i fell on crossroads.

WHAT!!! Apparently you are mortal like the rest of us, but you need to get Bruce on the phone immediately.

Sean assured me my new Donek will be crashproof. What's Coilers deal? I'd be pissed.

Sounds like Bobble got a little payback for all the camera curses you put on him. Big props Bobble:biggthump

:eplus2::eplus2: you know you're going to be eyeing every ups truck you see on your way to buck tomorrow!

It's in the st louis park fed ex hub ready for delivery sometime tomorrow, so yes I will be eyeing every truck I see on the way to Buck tomorrow.

At least I know that I'm getting the best Christmas present every.

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td><b>Date</b></td><td>12/23/2010</td></tr><tr><td><b>Temp</b></td><td>warm -- around 30F</td></tr><tr><td><b>Visibility</b></td><td>flat</td></tr><tr><td><b>Conditions</b></td><td>so so</td></tr><tr><td><b>Hardbooters</b></td><td> 2 (me, erik) </td></tr></table>

Morning

was there less than an hour. saw erik and bobd. i bailed early.

my liners are packed way out. the bones of my feet; angle and toes, were banging against the shell. painful. i brought my original liners and swapped out the rear boot. my toes were cramped and pinched. not much fun. going to remold them.

flat light. my yellow shooting range glasses didn't really do much to improve visibility. on my 2nd to last run i fell and got snow behind the glasses. started to fog up. worthless.

Charles Stone Memorial ski race. it was busy with skiers warming up.

Morning

great turn out!

1. big wave dave

2. speedzilla

3. greg powell

4. matt ?

5. nate ?

6. trent

7. bobd

8. scuff

9. jessie

10. mark s.

11. mr. t

12. me

i'm beat.

Future Art Of Snowboarding

yeah, not so much...

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnoEIuK1Ppw?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnoEIuK1Ppw?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

looks like their pushing grocery carts.

i'll give them points for their swank theme.

First of all I have to give a shout of "Thanks a bunch" to Larry for sharpening my board yesterday :1luvu:

*0835 - started my walk down to the hill, it's gonna be a great day!

*0843 - As I reach the parking lot....WTF is going on here? Milk run is all racers and Crossroads is being corded off for racers and they were staking out Olympic dream for racing.

*0847 - Get my ticket and try and devise a game plan, I'm not going to waste an 8 minute walk and go back home.

*0851 - Get on the lift and scope right then left and left and left and left...Warner's.....no tracks!

*0852 - I was my own hero, I got my confidence back from last Sunday when I had a dull board (Thanks again Larry). I stayed an hour until I was overcome by other boarders and skiiers. Nice to hear a skidder say to his buddy "That looks kinda cool."

*0947 - Took off the board and started my nine minute (slower up hill) journey back home after a great day on Buck.

Where the hill was everyone else? Must not have received the memo:freak3:

Be well and "Thanks mom for the new under armour, the extreme underwear kept me almost too warm!

Peace Out

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td><b>Date</b></td><td>12/27/2010</td></tr><tr><td><b>Temp</b></td><td>10F </td></tr><tr><td><b>Visibility</b></td><td>sunny</td></tr><tr><td><b>Conditions</b></td><td>extremely good</td></tr><tr><td><b>Hardbooters</b></td><td> 1 </td></tr></table>

Morning

the snow was really good this morning but the runs had racers and there was that red bull thing on the bottom of milkrun.

there was a course that was set up on milkrun that was later taken down. i went through it. didn't like the ruts. they were shallow but icy.

stayed on crossroads the entire time. they closed off part of skiers left that nearly took a third of the hill. the orange ribbon was enticing. kept carving as close as i could to the ribbon. no once else would ski or board over there.

got somewhat crowded. lot of slow people.

root beer barrels kept me going.

Red Bull

took forever for red bull to do what ever the hell they were doing. seemed to have trouble with cable tying the fence. took the tent up and down couple times. things didn't start happening till around 10:30 am. i was on the chair watching these boarder queue up to grind on the skull candy tube. a photographer was standing behind the tube. he was trying to amp the boarders -- yelling and pointing where he wanted the riders to go.

so, this boarder starts off. no helmet. he heads down towards the ramp. he mounts the rail next to the ramp. going too fast, goes airborn, barely misses the photographer (had to jump away), and lands far beyond the ramp. seriously his board was above his head -- he was going to land on either his head or back when he disappeared behind the ramp. didn't see him get up.

later i saw the guy talking to a redbull guy. he was okay but the back of his hoodie was covered with snow.

dumbass made my day.

Where the hill was everyone else? Must not have received the memo:freak3:

Woulda been out, but my boots broke.

Instead, Stayed home and started construction on an igloo.

Planning to be out Friday afternoon/evening. - Edit - I'm not going out in the freezing rain..

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td><b>Date</b></td><td>12/28/2010</td></tr><tr><td><b>Temp</b></td><td>warm </td></tr><tr><td><b>Visibility</b></td><td>sunny</td></tr><tr><td><b>Conditions</b></td><td>rock star!</td></tr><tr><td><b>Hardbooters</b></td><td> 2 (me, erik) </td></tr></table>

Morning

snow was really good. fun fun FUN!!!

they roped off skiers right for racing. milkrun was already rutted when i got there. erik and i made the best of it.

early morning crossroads was great! then it got busy. even though it was crowded i felt confident with my edges and turning. well... there was one time i thought i was going to lose it near the roped off area. i was hugging close to the orange ribbon and it looked like the nose of the board was going to clip the bamboo pole. i didn't clip it but it wasn't exactly a graceful turn. after that i kept my distance from the ribbon.

like i said, crossroads was great in the early hours. during that time we having a blast. i could see heads turn on the chair lift.

ventured onto milkrun. it wasn't too bad. did have to jump over one rut.

lift lines grew to unacceptable levels. tried warners. no relief. erik left around 11:30 am or so. at around 12:10 pm. the lines were gone. stayed till about 12:30 pm. i was super dehydrated and hungry.

lots of curious people.

sleepy time.

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td><b>Date</b></td><td>12/31/2010</td></tr><tr><td><b>Temp</b></td><td>i dunno... </td></tr><tr><td><b>Visibility</b></td><td>flat</td></tr><tr><td><b>Conditions</b></td><td>fast!</td></tr><tr><td><b>Hardbooters</b></td><td>1</td></tr></table>

Morning

after yesterdays rain and late night low temps i was dreading going to the hill. like dick marcinko says "you don't have to like it -- you just have to do it! ".

very fast snow. it was like crushed ice shaped into cord. i've been so spoiled, i guess this was the challenge i needed. felt like i was on "lookout" or "wild finally".

no sun -- just flat light. i barely see.

from 9 am till 10:15 am i fell on nearly every run. i wasn't able to hold the edge very well. the trenches were wide at the apex. usually i blew out or chattered near the final pitch. my gloves got shredded. i tried to make huge turns and point back uphill to keep speed in check. i tried to ride upright and to get the board high on edges. it was a struggle especially on heel-side.

it was not fun. got fed up with the conditions, walked to my car and opened the trunk. as i was loading the board into the trunk it got brighter. the sun was a faint disc behind the clouds. felt obligated to make another go of it. pulled the board back out.

went into the chalet to rest up. watched videos on the flat screen. waited to see if the sun light would poke through. it didn't.

went back out at 10:40 am. the sun was behind the clouds but it was marginally less flat. i could make out more of the terrain. had my better runs of the day. i wasn't falling down but it was still a struggle to stay over the edge. sun started poking through again. one brief moment the sun was shining through the clouds. had a really good run. sun light went to crap after that. at around 11:30 am the sun disappeared. blew out of a turn and landed hard. one of those where your arms and hands throb afterwards.

took off.

We made a trip last night to Buck (sans boards) for New Years fireworks. :biggthump Great display!

Got a kick out of the guy juggling fire.. his hands must have been freezing!

Crew was grooming down the big air jump just as soon as the fireworks display was over. :)

4° this morning.. Cold, and overcast. Stupid rain this week has melted much of my backyard igloo.. :(

Even though Santa brought me some "Boot Gloves", think I'll stay warm at home and work on New Year's resolutions.

Anyone going out tomorrow (Sun?)

If it's not Arctic, gonna take a few runs, then go try skate-skiing over

at Hyland. Haven't been on Nordic sticks, since.... the 80s? Maybe I should bring an 80's iPod playlist along?.... *KarmaKarmaKarmaKarma - Karma Chameleon..* *sigh*... no..