Note to New Members ×

Buck Hill 2010/11

bobble

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td><b>Date</b></td><td>2/4/2011</td></tr><tr><td><b>Temp</b></td><td>started out at 20F then warmed up to about 34F </td></tr><tr><td><b>Visibility</b></td><td>crap at first then turned sunny</td></tr><tr><td><b>Conditions</b></td><td>excellent</td></tr><tr><td><b>Hardbooters</b></td><td> 2 (me, erik showed up at around 3pm)</td></tr></table>

Morning/Afternoon

snow was very good. went from 10 am till 1:30pm. early morning it was cloudy and gray. i thought about leaving early because the light was crap and there were 300 kids on premise (so i was told). held on and kept going. occasionally i had to wait for the run to clear of kids. eventually the sun came out around 12 pm and it felt like spring break. kept riding till 1:30 pm.

had lunch with ms. bobble. had a buck burger. sorta wishing we had taco johns instead. ms. bobble was disappointed that the mini-donuts booth wasn't there.

went back out from 2 pm till 3 pm. i was getting ice build up on my boots so i had to clear the ice on every run.

at 3 pm i hobbled to my car and was greeted by erik in the parking lot. felt compelled to do some more runs so i turned around. my front knee was killing me so i left maybe after 4-5 runs.

Kids

saw this kid on the run. i'd guess maybe he was 14 yrs old. he was carving on the run. eventually he stops me in the lift line to talk. said that he had an alpine board too -- a factory prime. i asked "you on the g-team?". he said yes. i then asked if he knew [scuff]. he said that was his coach. he said his name was tommy g. told me he was looking into getting a donek. later on i was on the chair with some other snowboarder. tommy comes carving across the run. the snowboarder says to me "look at the jibber! he's actually using his edges... you hardly ever see them using their edges."

everyone saw these two teenage girls wearing halloween costumes. one had a tigger outfit (tigger from winnie the pooh). the other was wearing a cow outfit complete with utters. i wanted to take a picture of both of them together but that would've been too creepy, right? anyways, these girls could really rip! here's one of them.

post-1112-141842334529_thumb.jpg

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td><b>Date</b></td><td>2/5/11</td></tr><tr><td><b>Temp</b></td><td>warm</td></tr><tr><td><b>Visibility</b></td><td>foggy</td></tr><tr><td><b>Conditions</b></td><td>excellent</td></tr><tr><td><b>Hardbooters</b></td><td> 3 (me, erik, mark)</td></tr></table>

Prepare For Deresolution

holy crap! it was foggy and very thick. looking down the run you couldn't see the third lift tower. i think erik's photo was taken around 10 am or so. kept expecting it to burn off early but it lasted till about 11 am. it was a bit unnerving -- erik derezzed just past the second tower. didn't want to bump into each other.

despite the crappy light it wasn't too bad. surprising. the snow was excellent which made up for the crappy light. only had one vertigo incident.

it got crowded with ski jammers and people warming up for ski challenge.

received compliments. one woman on a snowboard was really inquisitive.

erik baled around 10:30 am. i left at 11:30 am. the lines were bad. i could've stuck it out till everyone went to lunch but was getting bored.

Text Message

got this message from trent.

5 inches and snowing heavy

ish...

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td><b>Date</b></td><td>2/6/11</td></tr><tr><td><b>Temp</b></td><td>warm</td></tr><tr><td><b>Visibility</b></td><td>flat</td></tr><tr><td><b>Conditions</b></td><td>excellent</td></tr><tr><td><b>Hardbooters</b></td><td> 5 (me, mark,joe, karl and isabella (sp?))</td></tr></table>

at least its not foggy

Got out right away. It was busy, had to go to the super secret location for the lift ticket. The conditions were good, just flat light. Karl was out doing turns with Isabella for a while. I saw her racing the other weekend on softboots, she was looking great in hardboots.

Go Pack Go!

Snow at Hyland was EXCELLENT on Monday.

Went out after practice and could do no wrong.

Firm, Fast, and allowed for some ridiculous edging.

Hips on the snow, leaving razor-thin line. Zoom!

Conditions should be the same tonight - Wish I woulda put on some "Bullet" cold snow wax to compare the speed difference.

USASA SBX race at Hyland this weekend.. though I will

likely be going out to Buck on Sunday instead.

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td><b>Date</b></td><td>2/10/11</td></tr><tr><td><b>Temp</b></td><td>0F </td></tr><tr><td><b>Visibility</b></td><td>sunny</td></tr><tr><td><b>Conditions</b></td><td>excellent</td></tr><tr><td><b>Hardbooters</b></td><td> 1</td></tr></table>

Evening

got out around 7 pm. didn't take very long for my feet to get cold. felt like pliers were squeezing the my big toes.

snow was very firm and carvy. wish i had more stamina. when my feet get cold than its no fun. going to do buck tomorrow morning. with this warm weather coming up it might be the only time to go. i dunno...

ever take a flashlight and shine it in and around your boot? i was surprised at how much light passed through the shell. so thin on the sole of the boot.

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td><b>Date</b></td><td>2/11/10</td></tr><tr><td><b>Temp</b></td><td>12F, got warmer</td></tr><tr><td><b>Visibility</b></td><td>variable and yet crappy</td></tr><tr><td><b>Conditions</b></td><td>excellent</td></tr><tr><td><b>Hardbooters</b></td><td> 1 but i'll give credit for bobd carving it up in softboots (your burton weeps for you)</td></tr></table>

Morning

the snow was excellent but the lighting, crowds, and sapped my enthusiasm. seriously, i had to talk myself into going down the hill. there were a few runs where the sun poked through at which point my mood improved. it was short lived. stayed till about 11:45 am.

Ancient Hardbooter Theory

only on the History Channel...

The ancient Hindu book, Samaranganasutradhara, is a book written in Sanskrit that's over 2000 years old. It describes an event that occurred over 20,000 years ago during the last ice age. Ancient Hardboot Theorists (AHT) believe this event was the first known contact with the race known as the Hardbooters. This was a race of beings with mystical powers that came from the DC Multiverse where the snow and water were all but depleted. Hardbooters were described as being tall with having a large head with strange detachable eyes, and large hands but no fingers! Their appearance frightened the natives.

The Hardbooters stood atop of a shield-like device called a 'vimana' which as it turns out was their principle mode of transportation. It is said that the Hardbooters did not walk, they glided on the vimanas. There is a passage in the Samaranganasutradhara that describes how the Hardbooters would fly down a mountain standing on the vimana with such a loud thunderous noise and tremendous speed that it would literally split the mountain in half!

There are numerous petroglyphs showing Hardbooters seated on chariots called the ‘yantra’. These yantra-chariots were used by the Hardbooters to 'ascend back unto the heavenly kingdom above the mountains'.

The indigenous population worshipped the Hardbooters because they were the ‘gods of mountains’ .

5437206136_de4abd1ede.jpg

ancient hardbooter theory

When you read the passages from the Samaranganasutradhara you then begin to realize that the implications of this discovery are simply astonishing.

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td><b>Date</b></td><td>2/12/11</td></tr><tr><td><b>Temp</b></td><td>warm</td></tr><tr><td><b>Visibility</b></td><td>flat</td></tr><tr><td><b>Conditions</b></td><td>good snow</td></tr><tr><td><b>Hardbooters</b></td><td> 3 (me, scuff, benton)</td></tr></table>

Morning

fun. early morning snow was nice. very carvy. the light was flat but didn't seem to bother me compared to yesterday.

talked to mr. c. about warm weather grooming. he said he heard somewhere in the 40's on wednesday. yeah, no groom. its gonna suck. there's already ice showing through on milkrun.

jumped out of the milkrun knoll. landed hard. it gave my front leg shin splints. heel-sides turns were painful.

got crowded with ski challenge. grant me the serenity to accept the things i cannot change... it eventually improved so it was less than an issue compared to the flat light. it got worse to the point i couldn't see. so, i left.

the Subaru tent was playing really decent music. too bad the buck hill music was playing over it. please add Led Zepplin to the buck hill play list; i.e. Whole Lotta Love, Trampled Underfoot, Kashmir. get rid of Human League, substitute Gary Numan if you must play new wave.

X-Men: First Class

looking forward to this movie. looks like the SR-71 Blackbird had some rework.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UrbHykKUfTM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td><b>Date</b></td><td>2/13/11</td></tr><tr><td><b>Temp</b></td><td>heat wave</td></tr><tr><td><b>Visibility</b></td><td>sunny, partly cloudy</td></tr><tr><td><b>Conditions</b></td><td>hero</td></tr><tr><td><b>Hardbooters</b></td><td> 4 (me, scuff, dave, mark s.)</td></tr></table>

Morning

didn't think buck would be groomed so my expectations were low. it was groomed and it was A W E S O M E !!!!

yep, we had a blast ripping the runs. had no idea that karl had so many talents.

olympic was really good. the drag was people were heading over there too. i hate negotiating that turn from crossroads.

had one run where i lost a heel-side edge on ice. kept sliding down the run, didn't fight it or try to brake. got the nose of the board to point downhill and then dug in. popped right back up. i was laughing. :biggthump

as it got warmer, the snow was turning snow cone. top of milkrun is brown. board would slow down going through the soft spots -- the deceleration was immediate. started to bottom out on ice. not a good sign.

came home around 1 pm and i was soaked. good times.

Music

subaru tent was playing some decent tunes. again, buck was playing top 40 hits over the PA.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VqMTkJjeqbI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Well I just started alpine a few weeks ago, and is IMO the coolest thing ever making deep carves...

But, the sad news is that I ate it hard (on all this ice), blacked out, and the entire back of my new Donek Pilot delammed. Luckily it's getting epoxied right now. :biggthump

If you lost consciousness, you should seek medical attention. Don't worry about your board. Watch out for numbness/tiredness of extremities, lethargy, vertigo, nausea, etc.

Let me say two words: Natasha Richardson.

If you lost consciousness, you should seek medical attention. Don't worry about your board. Watch out for numbness/tiredness of extremities, lethargy, vertigo, nausea, etc.

Let me say two words: Natasha Richardson.

I got it checked out and I'm good to go, Just a mild concussion.

It kinda sucked, I was getting my carves down nicely with my hips getting lower and lower then bam I wipe out.

Awesomo:Spencer? Is that you?

(feel free to introduce yourself :) )

Welcome to the wonderful world of bomber!

Glad to hear you are diggin' the carve.

Saturday and Sunday the conditions were pretty good at

Buck, but were awefully soft last night at Hyland.

Sno-cone on top of ice base.

Bummer about your tumble. On gal from our team is out for

the rest of the season due to too many "mild concussions".

Ride safe. Did you delam the nose or tail?

~Karl

I got it checked out and I'm good to go, Just a mild concussion.

It kinda sucked, I was getting my carves down nicely with my hips getting lower and lower then bam I wipe out.

Glad to hear you are going to be OK. I'm sure the doctor told you what to watch for. Also clue in a friend or significant other to your situation. Self assessment usually doesn't work well for concussions. I'm sure you were told to avoid activities that may cause another concussion for about a week. If knock your head again this week, you may be done for the season.

Not seeing the board, not sure what I can advise there other than make sure the epoxy or urethane used for the repair is somewhat flexible. A brittle epoxy will result in another delam.

Awesomo:Spencer? Is that you?

(feel free to introduce yourself :) )

Did you delam the nose or tail?

~Karl

Nah, this is Alex, I've only talked to a few alpiners so far at Buck and Afton.

And I delammed the tail. When I brought it in to get repaired they said no problem and would get it done.

Not seeing the board, not sure what I can advise there other than make sure the epoxy or urethane used for the repair is somewhat flexible. A brittle epoxy will result in another delam.

Not sure what epoxy(or urethane) they will be using. But, next season I have plans to get a little bit longer of a board. I got the Pilot because I didn't know if I'd like alpine.

Have to apologize to Dave. He was out latter taking photos, and we had on of those "Dude, I've got a zoom you know" moments. Sorry Dave.

always looking for new member bobd, glad you could join us! :biggthump

speedzilla, where are the picts? i didn't see them on smugmug. proof please. :D

i'm guessing / hoping everyone and all equipment are undamaged.

-trent

swung by buck around 10 am. it was groomed. didn't see any browm spots. looked inviting.

saw some serious trenches made by skiers from the parking lot. they were deep!

@bobd, how was it? do tell.

wish i could've gone boarding but gotta go to a job fair. i was out getting my resume printed at kinkos at b-ville center. after this week of warm warm weather i was curious to how the snow held up.