Note to New Members ×

Free carving and these new plate systems?

~tb

"Waves at impact zone are chaotic however ...:eek:"

waves crash- streams flow

When I think "flow like water", the picture in my mind is that of a small stream, rolling up a bank at a curve, surrounding a midstream rock(obstacle) and coming back together continueing the flow(line) once past it, always looking ahead(anticipating) and choosing a line that flows with the terrain.

An isolation,or floating plate allows the board to flow with an uninterupted wave form (smooth arc).

I should follow Sunsurfer's lead and ghetto up a floating plate to get the dead spots out of the 185s flex.

now there's a good name for the bomber plate, the bomber floater. Mounted to a coiler would be a perfect match.:lol:

Way to bring this thread back.

Bomber "Floater". That's tight. You guys should use that. It really seems to sum it up.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great riding on the East coast is done with no anticipation in an unrelaxed state... :flamethro

The more unrelaxed we are the more reactionary we are forced to become and resemble a

barrel going over niagra falls... :flamethro

there fixed it for you :)

Dude? You ride softboots on greens and blues in Aspen. Why are you even commenting in a thread about plates? You don't even own hardboots!

Dude? You ride softboots on greens and blues in Aspen. Why are you even commenting in a thread about plates? You don't even own hardboots!

so....plates are only for Hardboots? is that your opinion ?

Dude...you ride only Blacks with no anticipation in an unrelaxed state...

tell me how does that work for you?

each of us has opinions...if you dislike mine that is your problem :p

Interestingly enough, I have sold a number of plates to soft booters already. I have a BX coach purchasing one as well.

Personally, I'm dying to put one on a soft setup and try it.

so....plates are only for Hardboots? is that your opinion ?

Never said that.

Dude...you ride only Blacks with no anticipation in an unrelaxed state...

tell me how does that work for you?

Huh? You are talking out your a$$ again.

each of us has opinions...if you dislike mine that is your problem :p

I don't "dislike" yours. You are a softbooter on a hardbooter site. You comment as if you ride hardboots. Most of us when we don't have experience in a topic have the common sense not to post about it, you don't.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with you or the type of riding you do. You should realize most of the guys on here are trying to progress toward riding the steeps, you aren't.

Never said that.

Huh? You are talking out your a$$ again.

I don't "dislike" yours. You are a softbooter on a hardbooter site. You comment as if you ride hardboots. Most of us when we don't have experience in a topic have the common sense not to post about it, you don't.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with you or the type of riding you do. You should realize most of the guys on here are trying to progress toward riding the steeps, you aren't.

So when I posted that Anticipation and a Relaxed State leads to a more Fluid flow like water it was worthless because

I carve in SB's ?

whoa - check this out - a post actually related to the thread topic - what a concept!

That video of the Oxxess plate got me wondering what would happen if a plate were designed to have some torsional flex. If the middle section of the plate were skinnied up, yet still kept depth for structural rigidity top to bottom, it could allow for some torsional flex, thereby allowing some twisting an pedaling of the board (if desired) while keeping the isolation effectiveness. Just wondering... ;)

Interestingly enough, I have sold a number of plates to soft booters already. I have a BX coach purchasing one as well.

Personally, I'm dying to put one on a soft setup and try it.

Sean, get to work on that........ do you think you'd be able to do a wider top surface?

Sean, get to work on that........ do you think you'd be able to do a wider top surface?

I don't see why not, but I don't know that it's really necessary. The soft bindings I have laying around only overhang the plate about 1/2in on either edge. Given the stiffness of the plate, I don't think there will be an issue, but if one arises I'll make a wider plate.

I don't see why not, but I don't know that it's really necessary. The soft bindings I have laying around only overhang the plate about 1/2in on either edge. Given the stiffness of the plate, I don't think there will be an issue, but if one arises I'll make a wider plate.
That video of the Oxxess plate got me wondering what would happen if a plate were designed to have some torsional flex. If the middle section of the plate were skinnied up, yet still kept depth for structural rigidity top to bottom, it could allow for some torsional flex, thereby allowing some twisting an pedaling of the board (if desired) while keeping the isolation effectiveness. Just wondering... ;)

Wouldn't a plate that allows more pedaling be more attractive to softboot users? Something like what Michael is talking about but super wide underfoot and quite thin in-between? I could see that as being potentially useful for BX?

originally posted by kieran

TD3 bases + td3-softbinding adapter!

i think Kieran is talking about these adapter plates

i didn't try any of the plate system (at least not yet) so i'm not comparing or trying to compare the adapter plates to any of the plate system new or old, but those adapters definitely changed the ride of the board, even if very subtle, you can still pedal, twist, bend, whatever you want to call it but the board has a more natural flex because of the TD3 elastometer and also because the base of the soft-boot bindings doesn't sit flat diagonally across the board

you can read more about it on this thread if you want

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30507

2DSCF4289copy.jpg

5DSCF4280copy.jpg

Is that a plate on that board? It's kinda hard to tell from that angle.

If it is, the toe riser is totally unsupported. That's no good. A production version for SB's would want to be as wide as the baseplates at least.

The plate is definitely too narrow, but I guess this is just for some initial field tests ...

post-7799-141842322296_thumb.jpg

In responce to "queequeq" Bordercross probably stiff .All mountain softer.First time on a plate probably soft if for no other reason than to prevent your thigh muscles from going into spasm because they are used to more freedom than a stiff plate will give you. So are you ready to order three plates ?:lol: Didn't think so, switch to hard boots you can quickly adapt to one plate. Seriously the variables are huge you really have to try before you buy, unless your rich then buy three.

the specific reason I asked for a wider deck is that I'd want to run the lightest lowest binding I could to keep weight down

Yes, height is definitely an issue with these plates. The lower you make the rest of your binding stack height, the better. Skating off of the lift with an earlier prototype plate I tried felt like taking a step down each push, and real teeter-tottery when going slow.

What I wish to do is to modify base plate of TD3 so that I can mount TD3 on the plate without using cant disks and e-rings, so that the overall binding height will be kept as low as possible.

Doable, it's going to cost...

One of the reasons I have been using TD2 base plates/cants and TD3 uppers. Saves a 1/4" or so. Next step will likely be mounting the toe and heel blocks to the plate. Full circle.

One of the reasons I have been using TD2 base plates/cants and TD3 uppers. Saves a 1/4" or so. Next step will likely be mounting the toe and heel blocks to the plate. Full circle.

Yeah but can you imagine screwing up that procedure? :eek:

On that note and speaking of full circle, maybe it's time for a reincarnation of the Bomber Toaster!!