Note to New Members ×

Mini/Informal 2011 East Coast Meet?

CaRtharsis

What month do you prefer for a Sugarloaf visit?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. What month do you prefer for a Sugarloaf visit?

• January 10-14 2011
    • January 17-21 2011
    • January 24-28 2011
    • January 31 - February 4 2011
    • Other time in February (Prices TBD, Post dates)
    • Other time in March (Prices TBD, Post dates)
    • March 20-25 2011
    • Some time in April
    • All these choices are too confusing / I have a fear of commitment
    • Skip Sugarloaf, lets do this somewhere else!!

Since I'm tired of the heat and the bugs I'm ready to look ahead to better, brighter, whiter days.

Realisitcally with work, University and family I don't forsee a trip to SES. So I figured I'd post up and see if there existed any interest in a meet about the same time next year (early March) at a venue yet to be determined. I know Sugarloaf was thrown around at last years ECES as a possible destination.

So lets hear it! :biggthump

Update 07/09/10

I've finally added a poll based on the rates Ian has provided below in Post #19. To make this work we need feedback. I have never arranged this type of event so I am counting on input from those interested to help make it happen.

Oh, and don't expect the planning to be on par with that of your dedicated ECES volunteers. :biggthump

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, there is always the annual Rally at Thunderdome:biggthump

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=26337&highlight=thunderdome

http://berkshireeast.com/

The mountain isn't Maine-sized, but its certainly fun. ("Mini" and "informal" certainly fit.) You could always hit some VT or NH resorts on your way there or back to make a bigger trip out of it. Besides, the historic Charlemont Inn very much needs the overnight :sleep:business that us locals don't provide.

As Jack indicated our next official ECES will be in 2012 and will most likely be at Stratton again.

Yes we have tossed around the idea of having an informal gathering at Sugarloaf in between the ECES. Jack, myself, Steph and Alex will not be involved in any type of planning for this event. We can only handle doing this every 2 years. We do have other jobs to attend to and unfortuntely they are not full time carving gigs:mad:

Planning would involve possible group rates and maybe some reservations for dinner. Demo's will not be available for off ECES sessions.

Is there anyone the the Sugarloaf area that has contacts at the resort for possible group rates?

Not sure about the rest of you but the sooner I am able to provide my wife with a firm date, the better my odds are at getting it. Work, school and children keep us busy!

Is there anyone the the Sugarloaf area that has contacts at the resort for possible group rates?

Not sure about the rest of you but the sooner I am able to provide my wife with a firm date, the better my odds are at getting it. Work, school and children keep us busy!

it's pretty easy to get group rates you just gotta call someone in group sales. it's up to anyone who takes the initiative(sp?) to do it.

Good job starting this thread, CaRtharsis. Count me in, and it's not just for the pancakes!!

I also had a blast at Stratton last year, and am looking for something more affordable that SES. If we can get a decent group rate at the loaf or somewhere else 'big' I would be very happy. :D

I called Sugarloaf yesterday, and talked to one of the guys in group sales. He was pretty helpful, and gave a general layout of the season and how the pricing varies.

We need a minimum of 20 people to achieve a group discount, which is usually about 10-20% off of their retail packages. Prices shown below are for condos; maximum occupancy is 2 people in the bedroom and 2 people on the sofa-bed. Minimum occupancy is simply 2 people. The price includes accomodation Sunday night through Thursday night, 5.5 days of lift tickets (Sunday after noon is included), and - LOL - lessons.

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 324pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=432><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 177pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 8630" width=236><COL style="WIDTH: 75pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 3657" width=100><COL style="WIDTH: 72pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 3510" width=96><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 35.1pt; mso-height-source: userset" height=46><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #8db4e3; WIDTH: 177pt; HEIGHT: 35.1pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl64 height=46 width=236>Date Range</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #8db4e3; WIDTH: 75pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl65 width=100>Price at Max. Occupancy</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #8db4e3; WIDTH: 72pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl65 width=96>Price at Min. Occupancy</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 20.1pt; mso-height-source: userset" height=26><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 20.1pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl66 height=26>November - December</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl67>$ 260 </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl67>$ 332 </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 20.1pt; mso-height-source: userset" height=26><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 20.1pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl66 height=26>January, 1st week of Feb.</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl67>$ 299 </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl67>$ 378 </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 20.1pt; mso-height-source: userset" height=26><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 20.1pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl66 height=26>Rest of Feb., March</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid" class=xl68 colSpan=2>highest rates - varies by week</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 20.1pt; mso-height-source: userset" height=26><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 20.1pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl66 height=26>March 20-25</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl67>$ 384 </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl67>$ 470 </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 20.1pt; mso-height-source: userset" height=26><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 20.1pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl66 height=26>April</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid" class=xl68 colSpan=2>cheap........................</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The prices look pretty good to me. Chris (CaRtharsis) will try to post a poll to sound out what part of the season people are most interested in.

One obstacle is the group booking policy here... the resort wants one point of contact who will put down a $500 deposit, and then collect all of the money. 50% of the money should be paid one month before arrival, with the balance due the week before arrival. Would this work if we made our reservations with 'the organizer' and paid them up front by PayPal? The system at Stratton last year was much simpler... just call into the resort and make your reservations directly.

Any tips or thoughts regarding:

• How to organize bookings like this
  • Local conditions at Sugarloaf, and good/bad times of year to visit it

... would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Ian MacKenzie

Ian & Chris,

talk to Jack M., its his mountain "to go".

I'm in "for few days".

I know one, the place its cold and windy. I mean I could be COLD.

Snow, sometimes - HARD:). Maybe somewhere in VT might be better plan.

But otherwise I'm in.

Cheers

Any tips or thoughts regarding:

• How to organize bookings like this
  • Local conditions at Sugarloaf, and good/bad times of year to visit it

... would be greatly appreciated.

Talk to Leah Stevens at Sugarloaf. You can drop my name, but not ECES. Sugarloaf primetime is mid Feb to mid March.

Thats pretty typical conditions for us here so we should be right at home.

Need to develop love for SugarConcrete :1luvu:.

By January I will get use to :), going there for lesson with Eric ( "The Eric"), so if I could combine Informal ECES and my trip there would be sweet.

Madd Eric is awesome!!!

Too bad when I was there this happen:

Coiler VSR work pretty damn good in the powder :)

IMG_1068.JPG

IMG_1069.JPG

Only if sugarloaf isn't so far away; but in the other hand one can:

Stop by NH for some liquid talent.

Freeport Maine have great shopping for outdoor gears. LL Bean flag store is there.

--

David