Note to New Members ×

My year off the snow and a new chapter in life

tex1230

Last summer I starting to have a couple of problems:

1) strain in my upper back and continued problems with my lower back, and

2) I got transferred to a different department at my job, lost most of my customers, and really started hating my job.

So to deal woth the back problems, I decided to stop riding my motorcycle (sadly sold it in November) and to take the season off and try to get back in shape. So far it's going ok - lower back more or less stopped hurting and upper back is slowly healing.

Now, dealing with the hating my job part, I did something today that I haven't done since college - I quit my job (of 13 years) without having a new job. Currently packing up my house and moving the family to Texas for at least a while... So I'm going to go from weekend warrior to one or two weeks a year dude. At least I'll be closer to some soft snow...maybe even make it to SES one of these years.

So if anyone here is looking for a financial derivatives expert in the Texas hill country :D

It takes guts to leave a job that is secure even when you hate it. Congrats on your new direction. You have one life to live and being unhappy in your job is bad news. I wish you the best of luck in your future persuits.

I quit a job of 15 years for another that paid 6$ per hour less, why, opportunity to move to a more positive experience. It has worked out better than I could have ever expected.

( I am a Tradesman, hourly pay is the norm )

Good luck Tex. I hope the A/C in your car is strong.

BTW, the best thing I ever did for my back was ride my bike regularly. Sounds counter-intuitive, being hunched over handlebars but, I think the riding strengthened my core.

Maybe you could find Lance Armstrong for a riding buddy.

BTW, I now make about 1/4 of the salary I used to pull down in a job I hated. But, oddly enough, I feel a lot richer now.

I just had a job interview today that pitted me against two co-workers who I'll call Dumb and Dumber here. If the interviewer from HR hires either one of these two the company will get everything they deserve and more. That said, I took a lay-off last April and was out six months. I got some good days in at the skatepark and had some great bar time with the locals. I took an offer last October at half the pay I was used to making just so I could pay the mortgage.

So, I'm in college trying to finish a degree at age 50. So, who's the dumb one here? I am. :freak3:

So, good luck to you and yours!

Mark

Follow your dreams, if you can. As for bicycling,ride good road bikes w/nice wheels , find a bicycle group to match your level of riding, it might be good for your back and is certainly good for you. Bicycling changed my life 28 years ago. In Texas there are alot of good 100 to 200 mile rides. Work for it. Good Luck, Rob ,ps you bought me a drink 2 yrs ago @ ECES

• 2 weeks later...

just saw this as well... best of luck! its hard to leave a job w nothing on the line up... i know!!!!!

however a doc i used to work with once told me that life is too short to be miserable at your job. no sense being miserable w one of the things you CAN change :)

:biggthump

• 2 weeks later...

than small ones, if I remember correct. Smaller bass almost always jump a bit when caught with a surface plug (?) Big'uns not so much.

Never caught a smallmouth, but I imagine their distribution in The Big T is extremely limited.

Ya'll have fun down there!!

BB

that's where I learned to ski when it was called Sierra Blanca - back in the 70's

Yeah, the white mountain. it's my local mountain as well as the backdrop for my grandfather in that town, too.

Noice. From what I've seen the last time I was there, it looks relatively same except for the new lifts (Elk, chair 7 and uh.. chair 1). I'm still reeling my head off from the disbelief they don't use electrical motor for the gondola -- diesel all the way.

I miss that mountain, in a way. And I take it you do -know- whenever you hear "El Nino" years, GO to Ski Apache. I did and purchased a season pass, and the snow coverage was insanely deep that a snow ranger said he's never seen that much snow in 20-something years. The drive up/down that 2 lanes narrow-arse highway to ski apache is ... a bit scary especially passing the texans who doesn't really know how to drive.

Where in Texas, Tex?

Hopefully not Houston, although I do live about 20 minutes from Intergalatic Airport and about 1 hour from Hobby, so trips outta here are easy

My bro works for Fidelity in Irving-do you want me to inquire whether they are hiring?

Where in SA and what are you willing to do? I have inlaws in SA and New Braunfels. I have a friend whose husband is management for HEB. I have a friend whose twin sis works for Frost Bank. All in San Antone...

If my son would have passed his BSA swim test, we'd be driving to San Marcos tonight for a canoe trip....