Note to New Members ×

Sailer goes crazy

softbootsurfer

so....15 years ago was the last time...

Where should I post now? SB's HB's or No Boots ? :)

Thanks for the Demo, Joerg

1 Hr. of Greens, 1 Hr. of Blues and 1 Hr. of Blacks with the Blacks being the only major difference from my current set up. I can not Carve like that on

Blacks with my gear...:eek:

HB's are Great... :biggthump

This is First Run down Buckskin, took 6 or so turns to dial in...:p

Congrats, CrazySailer!

15 years is long time, alpine boards have changed a lot, I'd guess towards what you like... I'm sure you enjoyed the edge hold on steeps. You'll probably love it for caving the choppy stuff, too.

Are you going to put a setup together? Keep us posted, observations, differences...

I feel like I just witnessed an event of major proportions that define a generation. Someday I'll tell my grandkids, yeah I remember exactly where I was the day SBS rode plates.:)

Hmmm the force is stong in this one but his conversion to the Darkside will soon be complete. :biggthump

Thanks for giving plates a run again.... uh hang on this isn't one of the seven signs of the apocalypse?

Keep on posting it's great to see your opinions and they mean more coming from you because of your background. Oh and +1 on a non-pov video.

Cheers,

Dave

Wow this is totally random text. I just feel all giddy for some reason.

Nice to see you in hardboots..I am only bummed I did not get to witness it firsthand as I am in Dogtown slaloming today.

Next time... You might try running a little flatter in the front as your front toe is a little too inbound. Also your rear toe could hang over your toeside edge a bit more .

Damn the conditions were this good... I won't be back for a while.. I hope they hold up.

I asked about the boards at Buttermilk that Joerg left... they said htey have not been rented many times... but also there is no display of on with a PIC... so people don't seem to know they are there for rent. They need a big pic of a guy carving and leaving a nice line and the board near that.

Molded liners rule:cool:

I rode a 173 wide twintip powder carve board today with NOS 12yr old virgin stiff stepin binders. All while wearing the softest hardshell ever made in 10inches of wind scoured/loaded fresh tracks all day off piste thru slots in the trees. Best turns of the year.

welcome to the world of edge control:biggthump

Think this maybe should be in Off Topic ?

The Boots were just comfy, yet from the ankle up reminded me of my ski

boots...after the Blacks, I think I had imaginary shin bang...really no discomfort

at all or pressure points, fit was just great. The bindings were Ibex ?

I think we were around 60 f 55 b at around 18" with some cant on the back foot.

Have to say I felt right at home though my reg stats are 45 f 45 b at 19". There was no, this

feels weird at all! The forward flex on the Raichles was a tad less flex than my

current set up. The only Major difference was Lateral Flex...

There is no lateral flex with HB's, I assume that is why the super high angles are

needed ? My normal set up has a ton of Lateral Flex and I think TD3 SW are a good

idea. There is no doubt that HB's make Carving easier, and the more pitch the better.

There was really no differences riding this interface on the Greens or Blues but I can

not Carve on Blacks like that with my normal set up.

I am glad I tried them as I needed to compare once again after so many years...

If I made some Bomber Brothers smile by hopping on HB's then good...:biggthump

I would also like to say that Carving in SB's with high angles for the last 25 years

made the Transition easy...being unemployed for over a year would limit any new

set ups at this time...so Softbootsailer remains Softbootsailer for now...:)

Think this maybe should be in Off Topic ?

We're talking about carving right?

I would also like to say that Carving in SB's with high angles for the last 25 years

made the Transition easy.

Absolutely, carving softboots is step 1 towards hb carving.

Get some moldable liners and custom footbeds and your softies will probably be relegated to powder/bump/trees days.

So Sailer what made you give HB's another try on that fateful day?

Was it just availability of gear or something else?

There was one free demo day offered for all season Passholders...:)

Joreg (sp) of PureBoarding left Boots and Boards at Buttermilk sports for people to rent...

Wanted to try his PureBoarding equipment...

also wanted to compare a HB set up after 15 years to my current SB set up.

Perfect Blue Bird Colorado day, Perfect Groom and no one on Tiehack...:D

SBS (Bob),

I agree with Jack when he says that you picked up the carving easier because of your 15+ years of carving in SB. But I've also taught SB riders to ride HB who didn't get it and couldn't adapt because they were essentially unable to get over the feeling of having their ankles locked. So I also suspect the transition may have been easier for you because your modded bindings (third strap and immobilized highback) create an exoskelton for your softboot that brings the riding style closer to hardboot riding.

I realize this is alot to ask but I'd be really interested in seeing an article or long post from you comparing a standard SB binding, your SB set-up, and a HB set-up. It would be even better if this comparison could be done on the same board (maybe someone could loan you a Prior ATV, or there are a couple of boards that were produced this year that seemed to be intended for both worlds Sword Dual?). It would be extremely interesting to see side-by-side comparison pictures or video of the body postions in a carve. Again to late in the year to get into this type of project but maybe it could be organized for next year.

Cheers,

Dave

so....15 years ago was the last time...

Where should I post now? SB's HB's or No Boots ? :)

Thanks for the Demo, Joerg

1 Hr. of Greens, 1 Hr. of Blues and 1 Hr. of Blacks with the Blacks being the only major difference from my current set up. I can not Carve like that on

Blacks with my gear...:eek:

HB's are Great... :biggthump

This is First Run down Buckskin, took 6 or so turns to dial in...:p

The added control is really SICK.

Confidence goes thru the roof huh?

You are lucky that the board was dialed in already, saves TONS of strange pains, aggavation and tinkerbelling.

Nice to feel your "stoke"!

SBS (Bob),

I agree with Jack when he says that you picked up the carving easier because of your 15+ years of carving in SB. But I've also taught SB riders to ride HB who didn't get it and couldn't adapt because they were essentially unable to get over the feeling of having their ankles locked. So I also suspect the transition may have been easier for you because your modded bindings (third strap and immobilized highback) create an exoskelton for your softboot that brings the riding style closer to hardboot riding.

I realize this is alot to ask but I'd be really interested in seeing an article or long post from you comparing a standard SB binding, your SB set-up, and a HB set-up. It would be even better if this comparison could be done on the same board (maybe someone could loan you a Prior ATV, or there are a couple of boards that were produced this year that seemed to be intended for both worlds Sword Dual?). It would be extremely interesting to see side-by-side comparison pictures or video of the body postions in a carve. Again to late in the year to get into this type of project but maybe it could be organized for next year.

Cheers,

Dave

I want to say, my equipment is MY Equipment...It is what lets me FEEL the SURF/SKATE connection that I

have pursued most of my life...I have always had or made my own SB 3 strap bindings for 25 years now.

They are not better than HB and can not come close to HB for edge control...lots of Lateral Flex is not a HB thing.

When riding the HB the other day, as well as 15 years ago, the last time I tried them, it was the ease of

pressuring the edge I noticed the most, If I tried to ride my set up like that my board would not even respond

as I have to over angulate to compensate for the tremendous amount of Lateral Flex in my set up.

Your term EXOskeleton is correct as that is what my interface FEELS like with a locked HiBack and added top strap.

I have also always ridden with High Angles as well...look at my Avatar pic from 1964, see that stance ?

that is what I have used since I started years ago. There were NO HB riders here then, no one to emulate

or learn from, I taught myself and developed the Style I have on my Own as a composite of all those turns

from both Surfing and Skating over a lifetime. Regular SB bindings are ALL ANKLES which I can not stand,

yet I seem to be the only one that can not stand them. :) My set up is very close to HB on forward flex

yet miles away when talking lateral flex... I doubt there are any here that would enjoy my set up or feel like

it even works :freak3: I am not pushing my equipment here, OK. I live in Colorado, and ride primarily at

Buttermilk which of course is basically a deserted Carving Zone :) The snow here is Hero for 95% of a

season that is around 130 days in length. Buttermilk is also mostly all Greens and Blue runs, which is great

because my set up is dialed in to those runs and begins to Fail on Black runs. My set up Surfs blues and greens

as well as the HB I had on 2 days ago, yet I must Skarve my turns on Blacks and I am OK with that. I am stoked

to see the Lateral Flex innovations such as TD3 SW that fin has developed yet I also understand and confirmed

again the other day that HB with 60 deg. angles would be compromised with to much Lateral Flex and the

advantage of all that control with pressuring the edge would be lost. I know that Jack, JG, Ray and most HB

Carvers want that DIRECT PRESSURE APPLIED NOW, not wait for some lateral flex to suck up energy. So I

am not pushing everyone hop on the Lateral Flex train either...:) I am a FREAK with FREAK gear and that is OK.

Please note that Pow is Pow and my set up works on any Pitch and any depth.:) I hope to use HB more often

in the Future, and they are the correct choice for Carving all types of Groom conditions and or Pitches.:biggthump

Thanks Bob!

Just so you know I certainly wasn't dissing you, your gear or your riding style, or even cheaply looking for further affirmation that HB were better than SB. I was interested in the over all comparison that you gave of the feel between the three very different systems. As well as the difference in technique used. Having carved SB for the last 15 years, and modified your bindings to create your own set-up, you are way more qualified than me to talk to those points.

Keep bringing that stoke for riding that you've got,:biggthump

Dave