Note to New Members ×

Skwal Riders General Discussion

mikel45

I am being thrown in the air between curves, all that with control (after 90 minutes on skwal).

You're doing fine, then.

Question is, is it going to be stiff enough for my 90kg (with gear, boots etc) and 180cm?

The RS176 should be fine, but it might be worth finding out if you can get to any of the skwal association's tryout days first.

Without doubt we can say that the angulations shown below on the left skwal are wrong : 3 degrees on the front foot and more than 5° the back foot is not right.

The front foot should always be at 0° and for the back foot, it should range between 0° to 4° max (especially on a board like an easy jungle with very short SCR).

What are people using for back foot angulation? Never even thought of this possible variation:

cour03.jpg

Source: Snowgo: Riding the Skwal in Courchevel

Virus makes one of the best custom Skwals money can buy.

He has a few models that inculde the UFC Skwal and the Speed Skwal.

I had a custom twin tip Skwal made a year and a half ago called the 'Chimera'. It is 175cm in length, titanal carbon kevlar construction, decambered nose and tail, 18cm nose/12cm waist/17.5cm tail, ~9.5m sidecut. Mine was built with a medium flex for a 175lb rider. I would highly recommend this shape to anyone that is looking to go custom.

...for those of you that could make it...come to the european skwal events organised by the European Skwal Association (ESA): come, test and ride (for free) most of the modern skwals and skwal equipments available today.

http://www.skwal.eu/public/index.php/

Skwal tests are regularly provided by ESA with their Skwal Masters and Facilitators that will help you skwaling around and giving free advice. These events are held during the Euro Skwal Tour (every Sundays as in the leaflet here below)

(e.g., 27 February in San Bernardino (Swisse)).

mnsaison.jpg

... give it a try! skwal in group!...

Obi One

I'm using a pair of Raichle SB324 boots. Trying to figure what is the best flex, walk mode or locked? Or a variation, e.g., locked front boot with back boot in walk mode. I realize this probably based on personal preference but interested in your opinion to provide a starting point. So, here are the options:

- both boots in walk mode;

- both boots in locked mode;

- front/back boot mix;

- unthought variation;

- or, prefer the BTS (yellow, blue, red) spring kit

Interested in all thoughts on what works best.

not saying it's not cool or anything but it's the same as if I went roller derby forum and started pimping inline skates or to TDIclub.com and started a thread about awesome 1996 gmc sierra 6.5 turbo in the main forum.

OK, I'll bite. I know I shouldn't. IHBT.

A skwal *is* an alpine snowboard. The only difference is width. Its even more "pure" than an alpine board, in many senses - the *only* thing that makes sense is carving, to do anything else requires unnatural movements. Its hard to "scarve", let alone skid the ****ing thing. Technique is the same, cross over/under/through is the same, weight transfer in carves is the same. You need to be a better ride to do it right, though. Riding a skwal for the first time is like going from a soft rig to hardboots for the first time - it all feels wrong and you get ejected a lot. In the same way that I doubt there is a single rider here who couldn't ride the piss out of the average softboot rig, though, when you go back to a more "conventional" board you will find your riding has improved. You will have a calmer upper body, more precise weight transfer, and so on.

There's even "modern" shaped skwals with metal construction, if you want to get all "if it's not decambered" about things. And fin makes bindings for 'em.

Like I said, get out on the snow. Try a skwal, if you can. It's even more fun than "classic" alpine, but you may need to spend some time waxing your ears.

says the guy who uses ski poles.

Can't you tell the difference between ski poles and snowboard poles? Why do some of you disdain my ability to use tools in my hands? They enhance my riding on a skwal, alpine board, powder board just as much as alpine skis, tele skis, xc skis and mono skis.

I can ride/ski w/out them but why should I have to:confused:

Closed minds blow mine.

Sorry for the thread jack... and now back to your regularly skinnied program

Come on Bob, would you say this stuff to someone's face? Having just been through the overwhelmingly positive and acceptive vibe of SES, I find this discussion to be silly. Carve ANYTHING at SES and you'll get cheers. We were cheering on the ski guides railing it at first tracks. Dick (forget his last name) is well into retirement age and rides with poles. He got lots of cheers!

The average jibber kid has the same negative attitude towards us, we all find it annoying or at least funny in a pitiful way for their lack of experience. Why perpetuate the hate?

Come on Bob, would you say this stuff to someone's face? Having just been through the overwhelmingly positive and acceptive vibe of SES, I find this discussion to be silly. Carve ANYTHING at SES and you'll get cheers. We were cheering on the ski guides railing it at first tracks. Dick (forget his last name) is well into retirement age and rides with poles. He got lots of cheers!

The average jibber kid has the same negative attitude towards us, we all find it annoying or at least funny in a pitiful way for their lack of experience. Why perpetuate the hate?

I said nothing negative, just that it's not, by it's own name, a snowboard.

no disdain or anything. given that even softboot content gets moved, that at least is a type of snowboarding.

a teleboard is not a snowboard either.....

That is beautiful Ace! How long did you wait from time of order to get it?, if you don't mind me asking. btw, riding not too shabby either.

That was the first board, unfortunately it broke, now on number two. The only difference is in the graphics, new board has a matte finish with black Virus logos.

The turn around between order placement and shipment was remarkbly fast. I would say it was around 2-4 weeks. Frank doesn't mess around.

I appreciate the compliment.:biggthump

Bob, don't you have anything better to do than trolling around the Skwal thread?