Note to New Members ×

Skwal Riders General Discussion

mikel45

Downloading the video... cannot wait!

BTW What is the common knowledge on heel/toe lift? I am using 3deg both feet, but I have been thinking of changing to 6 deg (both), but that means that I have to fabricate the wedges myself.

Obi One, have you experimented with this? Is 3deg toe front and 6deg heel back beneficial in any way?

I ride in ski boots. I really like Catek OS 2's. I'm running around 10* rear and around 3* in front. (ski boots don't have the forward lean like an Alpine boot) If you can get them I highly recomend the Catek's. You can dial in anything you want.

Don

Feed the addiction...

I really like Catek OS 2's. If you can get them I highly recomend the Catek's. You can dial in anything you want.

Don - did you have to modify the Catek to fit skwal waist width, if so, how? It pains me to even think of cutting my Catek base plates. - Mike

Downloading the video... cannot wait!

BTW What is the common knowledge on heel/toe lift? I am using 3deg both feet, but I have been thinking of changing to 6 deg (both), but that means that I have to fabricate the wedges myself.

Obi One, have you experimented with this? Is 3deg toe front and 6deg heel back beneficial in any way?

Hi Sebastian

Common knowledge on heel/toe list is 6 deg (both). Ace is right, go to bomber and buy them there, or go to PHK (http://www.phksnow.com/uk/home_uk.html based in Italy) and buy them there saying to Fulvio that Obio One suggested you this...he is a good friend of mine...

all experimentations with deg toe and heel are the proof that nothing is written on stone...except the 0 deg angles for the front foot :ices_ange

obi one

Hi Sebastian

Common knowledge on heel/toe list is 6 deg (both). Ace is right, go to bomber and buy them there, or go to PHK (http://www.phksnow.com/uk/home_uk.html based in Italy) and buy them there saying to Fulvio that Obio One suggested you this...he is a good friend of mine...

all experimentations with deg toe and heel are the proof that nothing is written on stone...except the 0 deg angles for the front foot :ices_ange

obi one

Thanks, that is what I heard. On the other hand, on my SK200 I have 3deg front and back and all is comfortable.

I fabricated a wedge like the one here: http://www.phksnow.com/uk/skwa_uk.html (I believe it's you, isn't it?) but in 3deg flavour, I made it from polyethylene. If this technology proves itself, I will post how I did that. I like doing things myself...

Thanks, that is what I heard. On the other hand, on my SK200 I have 3deg front and back and all is comfortable.

I fabricated a wedge like the one here: http://www.phksnow.com/uk/skwa_uk.html (I believe it's you, isn't it?) but in 3deg flavour, I made it from polyethylene. If this technology proves itself, I will post how I did that. I like doing things myself...

yeah it's me ....

cool for 3deg both front and back or even less (have you ever tried flat?) flat will make you feel more "direct" on the skwal as far as the front boot has a certain degree of freedom to flex the calf backwards. If not, you feel to be constatly pushed (your weight I mean) forwards too much...

In any case,...the riding feel will tell your body if you are too radical or not, too extreme or not...

It may all depend on boots' setup as well. Some time ago you mentioned that you prefer stiff boots, and I ride my Raichles with ACSS spring system.

[Yoda] The softer flex the boot is, the more tollerant to the lifts it becomes, perhaps? [/Yoda] :D

think about water monoski...they do not use lifts because they use very soft boots...the harder the boot ... the more difficult is to play with the lifts...

I am experimenting ski boots and a complete step-in set up (i.e., step-in system front and back of the foot ... :ices_ange similar to the old burton 4x4 binding.....)

obi one

Don - did you have to modify the Catek to fit skwal waist width, if so, how? It pains me to even think of cutting my Catek base plates. - Mike

My Volkl Monocarver has an 11.5 waist and the cateks are 12 or 12.5 My Donek Skwal is just a tiny bit wider than the Cateks. I think a little overhang would be fine. Most people won't be getting it layed over to 90* so it shouldn't be an issue. Besides if they work and you don't like the overhang cut them.

Don

Feed the addiction...:eplus2:

You lost me there, mate. :freak3:

What I was trying to say is that if you're looking for rigidity, the first thing to do is remove your snowboard boots from the equation, not blow the best part of 500 bucks on stiffer bindings.

The "stepin" question for skwals is made more interesting by the fact that a good number of people ride with a ski boot up front and a snowboard boot in the rear.

What I was trying to say is that if you're looking for rigidity, the first thing to do is remove your snowboard boots from the equation, not blow the best part of 500 bucks on stiffer bindings.

The "stepin" question for skwals is made more interesting by the fact that a good number of people ride with a ski boot up front and a snowboard boot in the rear.

Is really stiffer - better?

Is stiffer better? Hell yes.

Can you imagine running a stiff alpine board with softboots and rental bindings, even if you could magically disappear the boot out problems?

Or, nearer to the point, riding a pair of top-end skis, as fast as you possibly can, wearing a pair of TR9s? Or Raichle / Deeluxe snowboard boots? Even my AF700s are less stiff than my work-supplied Adrenalines, which are, in themselves, way too floppy to be put near any sort of performance ski.

I hate to say it, but snowboard boots are woeful. they work for snowboarding due to short sole length, but when boot out is removed from the equation, as it is with skwal, I don't see any advantage over ski boots.

You are right!

I tried my friend's Xennon skis today (soft titanal/carbon recreational carver). However, I was in my Dalbellos, softened and BTSed for snbowbaording. While they worked great on the flatter runs and slow speed, I was all over the place on stepper and choppier... I even got worried that I might tweek the ankles.

______

On the side note, reading this thread, I got inspired to pull my Easy Jungle from storage and take it for a spin after 2 or 3 years. What a hoot!

I pretty much forgot how to set it and ride it and it took couple of runs... I changed binding setup every few runs. I established that it could be ridden in about 3 distinct techniques:

- Wider stance, small angle in front, splay at the back, bindings somewhat forward of the sweet spot, led to a "snowboardish" type of ride. Efficient, yet unconfortable for the rear hip and groin.

- Narrower stance, 90 front, 85 back, knee behind the knee, ahead of sweet spot, was pretty usable and didn't feel like a snowboard. Still some discomfort in the rear groin.

- Narrower stance, 90 front, 90 back, rear knee to the side of the front knee, on the sweet spot, didn't lead to any discomfort, pretty efficient (but I need to explore it more). Felt a bit like, ummm, skiing.

Some funny comments from people in the lift lines... See the "Heard in..." thread.

Stepping back onto a (wider) snowboard right afer, was a bit commical - I almost killed myself. It took me almost 2 runs to "relearn" the alpine.

Anyhow, it was fun, I'll ride it more often next year, I promisse :D