Note to New Members ×

Skwal Riders General Discussion

mikel45

I would think it would be like any vintage board that lacks inserts. I would ride it very cautiously. Thats the one that was just on Ebay, right?

Regarding SkwalUSA...does anyone know if the boards are actually made in the USA???

I am estimating it will be about a month until my first Skwal will come out of the press, stay tuned!

Hi all,

Just acquired a Lacroix SK200 with seabright bindings. The bindings themselves seem bullet-proof, though heavy. They are attached to board with non-standard pattern with 6 screws, my options for alternative set-up seems limited. Any thoughts on the seabrights? Or the Lacroix in general. Thanks in advance.

M.

For those interested:

Skwals and equipment from the major skwal producers worldwide on behalf of the European Skwal Association:

Mpride

Oxess

Lagriffe

Lacroix

R.A.D.

http://shop.skwal.eu/index.php

dedicated skwal bindings here from PhK (Italy):

the model PHK SKW F12 has been designed by pro skwal racers of the european skwal cup...I garantee : )

http://phksnow.com/uk/skwa_uk.html

Yup, the board was recently on ebay, purchased substantially lower than bid. Anyways the board is in very good condition considering it's vintage (1992) and I was briefly considering mounting Cateks but I've pushed aside that idea as I can't stomach the idea of drilling for t-bolts. Here are a couple of photos of unique binding set-up:

2e1zj1l.jpg

soty0l.jpg

I haven't heard of these bindings pulling out, more so a problem with the bails. By-the-way, notice, actually it's not clear on the upper photo but the rear bail (on left side) has a spring to keep the bail upright for easy entry. The bindings also allow for setting of cant in a unique method. The Lacroix is due for a grind, sharp, wax and then the slopes.

Regarding SkwalUSA...does anyone know if the boards are actually made in the USA???

Can't help you there buddy, but their website sure needs some updating to get up to speed for the new season. Prices are very reasonable. Anyone know if they will be attending ECES?

Mikel45, yes I plan on being there for sure! Stratton is a great to ride and I have never been to an ECES, only SES...

I haven't really been advertising this, maybe I have :D but, I am planning on making my own boards this year. I estimate I am like 85% of the way there until I can put my first board in the press.

My buddy was also talking up a trip to Mt. Tremblant...I'll let you know if that ever takes shape...

Would be interested in both the XRace 183 and PHK bindings - only wish there was a North American supplier.

SkwalUSA recognizes a niche market.

drop an email to both MPride (for the xrace 183) and to PHK bindings...see what they suggest you for shipping and prices overall...tell them that Obi One suggeted the thing.

The producer of xraces (Martin Christoffel) as well as Fulvio Tosco, PHK bindings producer, are good friends of mine.

Mikel45, yes I plan on being there for sure! Stratton is a great to ride and I have never been to an ECES, only SES...

I haven't really been advertising this, maybe I have :D but, I am planning on making my own boards this year. I estimate I am like 85% of the way there until I can put my first board in the press.

My buddy was also talking up a trip to Mt. Tremblant...I'll let you know if that ever takes shape...

I had a look at your web site...that is cool ACE! can I promote your upcoming new brand (skwal and snowboards) in Europe?

Obi One

I had a look at your web site...that is cool ACE! can I promote your upcoming new brand (skwal and snowboards) in Europe?

Obi One

Absolutely! That would be greatly appreciated. Give me a little time to work out the kinks and get my process down to a science. :biggthump!

First board is going to be a 175cm board, nearly identical to my Virus Chimera board. 175cm, 18cm nose, 12cm waist, 17.5cm tail and a 11m sidecut. Decambered tip and tail as well! Stay tuned, looking to have my first board done by the time the snow starts to fall.

Absolutely! That would be greatly appreciated. Give me a little time to work out the kinks and get my process down to a science. :biggthump!

First board is going to be a 175cm board, nearly identical to my Virus Chimera board. 175cm, 18cm nose, 12cm waist, 17.5cm tail and a 11m sidecut. Decambered tip and tail as well! Stay tuned, looking to have my first board done by the time the snow starts to fall.

Count me in on the R&D....

Don

Feed the addiction...:eplus2:

• 4 weeks later...
Inspiration for the new season . . .

Skwal movie 2011

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CmHelXoZMUc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Enjoy!

That text in the intro almost made me never want to ride my Skwal again, although the footage made up for it a bit.

Here some more inspiration from when we had a camp in Norway.

DSC_6040-940x530.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There is on-going "carving community" discussion thread about binding set-up on narrow boards.

For those interested, here is the thread: http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=366064#post366064

Timely as I've recently been experimenting to get the most favourable stance position on the skwal.

So far 90, 90 with front toe, back heel lift seems to work.

A friend dials in 85 (back foot), 90 (front foot).

What works for you?

the tip/tail radius extends in an inward direction past the end of the side cut radius. when the board gets up on edge, the tip radius starts/initiates the carve in that direction, the tail holds on to the carve. the advantage would be the board will bite into the carve easier and hold the carve better in a variety of conditions. board will lock in until you tell it to release.

Decambering basically creates a pre-bent ski. In the tip it sets the board into an ideal shape for soft-snow flotation. The resulting early-rise tip allows you to float easily over powder and crud, and drive the board more aggressively in soft snow conditions—much like you would on-piste—without worrying about over-flexing the tip. Turn initiation is smoother and effortless in soft snow, and allows the board to change direction far more quickly than traditional camber designs.

My angles are somewhere near 85* front and back. 3* cants front and back. 40cm stance centered on the board.

Board production...maple/poplar mix!

core.jpg

Base material...

Base_pink_2001_600x600.jpg

:biggthump :biggthump :biggthump

Stay tuned!!!