Note to New Members ×

Skwal Riders General Discussion

mikel45

I just had my first day on a skwal, and it worked out pretty well. The board is a (very) soft flex 179x12 with a 12-14 VSR. The center stance seems to be 16" on 4x4 inserts. I am mounted in the center holes with the bindings pushed apart in their adjustments, creating a 16.25" stance that is generally comfortable. I'm 5' 7" with no more than a 28" inseam and ride a 19" stance on my alpine snowboards. The bindings have a little toe/heel lift, maybe 3 degrees. My angles this morning were something like 1/5.

- I do feel a little "bound up" in this stance, and could go longer. But the inserts are 4cm apart, so I'm not sure what to try.

- With regular bail bindings, do most riders step out of their rear foot? The first skwal guy I ever met undid his front binding.

Well, something must have been working! It was a joy to see you out at Buttermilk on day 7 (I think?) of your skwal adventures, leaving beautiful lines all over the hill! Very distinctive signature - sweet!

The binding itself is a standard TD3 which I assume has the same screw locations as the TD2. The cant base is a single oval block of aluminum, quite a bit narrower than the binding with no elastomers. I don't know if the cant is available separately though. What are you mounting it on?

Edited by wantok

Anybody know if current PHK and Lagriffe bindings are identical? I've been looking at their web sites and they seem only different in branding. Do these companies have some kind of relationship?

Lagriffe is branded PHKs, while PHK is the actual manufacturer. They may differ a bit only with central disc holes pattern and that's all.

If you are looking to buy PHKs, I would recommend to consider PHK SKW F12.

• 3 weeks later...

It's tough trying to locate a source for those PHK bindings. A Lagriffe rep said that they only had cant plates. The PHK guy directed me to an Italian store that won't ship to the US to buy Intec conversions for the bindings they OEM'd for Skwal USA. Skwal USA is uncontactable and won't return phone calls. Maybe someone will have supply at the beginning of next season. Anybody reading this in Italy?

Try Bola
That was a good suggestion. I made contact, but unfortunately no joy. I'll just wait for the beginning of next season to poke around again. I also contacted the PHK reps from their web site, but it doesn't seem like they have any in stock either. Even if they did, it might be a challenge to find an Italian dealer that will ship to me. I might end up begging for someone in the EU to buy them on my behalf, then ship them to me. Crazy.

Here's Mr. Flaccid in action this morning. He seems stiff enough.

post-8519-141842389962_thumb.jpg

post-8519-141842389959_thumb.jpg

post-8519-14184238996_thumb.jpg

Cool. Thanks for the tip. I guess I should start checking out the European forums more often. Here's a couple more from this morning:

[ATTACH]34299[/ATTACH][ATTACH]34300[/ATTACH][ATTACH]34301[/ATTACH]

Art, are you trying to take Aces' top spot away or just copying his style? Do you have your own personal photog now.

Anyway that photo on top left reminded me of someone:

post-7680-141842390386_thumb.jpg

I think with some technical refinement you could be top dog. Buy the Totally Awesome suit, Lose the full face cover, practice your dentists' " open wide " position mid carve and get Trents 6th sense of finding the camera.

All in all not bad for a flaccid oriental guy.

• Like 1

That was a good suggestion. I made contact, but unfortunately no joy. I'll just wait for the beginning of next season to poke around again. I also contacted the PHK reps from their web site, but it doesn't seem like they have any in stock either. Even if they did, it might be a challenge to find an Italian dealer that will ship to me. I might end up begging for someone in the EU to buy them on my behalf, then ship them to me. Crazy.

Art,

I do have Phiokka bindings that may fit your skwal. I got the bindings so that I could ride on skwal but.. time on snow is getting shorter and shorter and they are getting dust year after year. PM me if you're interested. I will send some photos of what I have.

Art, are you trying to take Aces' top spot away or just copying his style? Do you have your own personal photog now. ...

I think with some technical refinement you could be top dog. Buy the Totally Awesome suit, Lose the full face cover, practice your dentists' " open wide " position mid carve and get Trents 6th sense of finding the camera.

All in all not bad for a flaccid oriental guy.

I can't possibly compete with a guy that is 22 years younger than me. I'm lucky that I can just get out of bed. In those pictures, I was doing my best to whore it up for the EpicMix photographer at Vail and a few decent shots came out of it.

Someone has to represent the Carving Contingent of Color. Otherwise we would all be a bunch of drugged out SkiCo employees trying to find an ethnicity by screaming about their "Homies" and waving their arms about.

I'll fix Chris up so that he can help represent the Brotherhood:

post-8519-14184239055_thumb.jpg

That's better.

Now I might sit down with Patrick Thias Balmain's book "The Inner Glide" and try to read it again. I assume that it was originally written in French, and perhaps it is better read that way. The first time I read it I wasn't sure that I had taken the right hallucinogens, but now that I am actually riding a Skwal, the concepts might click in better.

• Like 1