Note to New Members ×

Skwal Riders General Discussion

mikel45

Hope this helps out regarding the 165 Thias Easy Jungle . . . paraphrasing skwalzone description . . . "If you are inexperienced or just starting out looking for a skwal suitable for all conditions, riding narrow tracks and want a board to forgive your mistakes go with the Easy Jungle 165. If you consider yourself already experienced move on to more technical skwals which allow you more scalability over time."

Thanks, mikel45 that helps a lot. Gotta make some decisions now. Probably get the 165, and plan on upsizing next season.

Here are a couple . . . apologize for the quality . . . doesn't do the board justice.

[ATTACH]36880[/ATTACH][ATTACH]36879[/ATTACH]

I went with stock board & graphics. The stock board is actually built for this/your/my weight range. Sidenotes: 1) the graphic selection is actually for the CODA monoboard shape so when it comes to sizing graphics to the skwal there will be distortion, e.g. see CODA logo on left split-tail above. I wouldn't try to design and submit your own custom graphics for topsheet especially if it's quite complicated around the split-tail - best to keep the graphics simple whether you select stock design or submit your own design. 2) Discuss beforehand the stock hole pattern.

I've seen that board in person and I didn't even notice that the CODA label isn't on straight... Crazy.

Let me sound against the trend again but Easy Jungle can be extremely joyful to ride on narrow, crowded or just normally boooooooring green slopes even if you are not a beginner. I am 6.2 feet and 220-230 lbs and I was impressed with this small soft spotty piece of skwal :) Warning: if you are heavy or agressive it will take some effort not to break Easy Jungle into peaces ;)

Yeah, I know, but IIRC the 183°F is cap construction, not sandwich. You can definitely feel the difference. I rode a friend's totally knackered* Guépard 173 (what monodude's got his hands on, only the shorter version) back to back with what appeared to be** a mint 173°F - it was chalk and cheese, the sandwich board was waaaaaaay more fun to ride.

Also, I dig that leopard spot thing they have going.

Marsupilami_1.jpg

* used damned hard, all the time, hardly any camber remaining, barely any edges left and some really nasty gouges in the base.

** Admittedly, it wasn't exactly new either, with a few nicks and dings in the topsheet, but it had almost zero "pop" compared to the Guépard (or even to my Panther 178, which is hardly new either).

Edited by tufty
Missed quoting kieran's post

I think this thread is the English version of Skwal Zone. The beauty of a skwal is that there are so few options. It's the most fun you can have with the minimum amount of gear. If you got those Thias/Snowpro bindings, they have a reasonable amount of toe/heel lift built-in. Just find a stance width that you think you can deal with, dial in whatever angles seem helpful but won't boot out, and go. I agree with Chris that wider stances are more stable, and am mystified at the European stances where the boots almost touch. On the other hand, everybody is different. You may find it impossible to step out with your rear foot and clip back in. In this case there is no alternative but to step your front foot out and ride the chair with many feet of board hanging out in front of you.

The 183 will probably require some decent speed before it will make a turn. You might need most of the bunny slope just to make a couple of turns.

We'll expect you to have a plate system for your skwal developed by the end of the season.

So I got one of Monodudes 183 Skwals coming into the quiver. Any suggestions for a first time Skwaller

Is there a English version of Skwal Zone? Art? Art? Help me Art! What have I done?

Ron

Be brave! :) Seriously, it won't be much of a problem for any experienced hardbooter with a proper understanding the mechanics of riding.

Google for ObiOne short guide he made after Thias book Inner Glide (if I am not mistaken he had posted the link in this topic previously), though I would recommend reading the whole Inner Glide.

P.S. Luke... Feel the power of The Dark Side!

So I got one of Monodudes 183 Skwals coming into the quiver. Any suggestions for a first time Skwaller

Start off on the bunny hill. Use some ski poles to balance clipping-in. Become comfortable making turns and stopping. Speed is your friend to initiate carves. Personally I prefer back foot locked in - my front foot is used to clip-in and out - no big issue. I believe the close boot-to-boot stance prefer by the Europeans because they have wide, unpopulated trails. We have relatively narrow, heavy populated trails, so I also agree - go with a wider stance. You'll be on the chair lift before noon. Let us know how you make out. CHEERS! Mike

Edited by mikel45
forgot to take my meds

Start off on the bunny hill. Use some ski poles to balance clipping-in. Become comfortable making turns and stopping. Speed is your friend to initiate carves. Personally I prefer back foot locked in - my front foot is used to clip-in and out - no big issue.

This. Especially poles. Also, don't even think about trying to skid off your speed until you've worked out how the damn thing responds. Remember, the 183 is an absolute beast. It doesn't want to even think about going slowly. Remember how, when you first tried an alpine board, it threw you into the snow the instant you "wimped out". Any skwal is that, squared. The 183 takes it to a whole 'nother dimension.

My first descent on the "bunny hill" (well, 200m from the car park to the first lift) resulted in at least 10 hard crashes (and I mean /hard/, instant ejection onto the hip) as I tried to skid off speed. "The Norm" is the way to go. You /will/ fall over. You /will/ get bruised, both metaphorically and physically. You will /certainly/ get laughed at. ... BUT ... after a few minutes, you'll be blasting past those who were laughing at you mere instants before.

I've tried a wide stance (as wide as I could go), and it simply didn't work for me (although it makes skidding easier). I'd suggest trying the "standard" 4cm separation as well as a wider stance.

Oh, and definitely come off chairs with the front foot unclipped. It's way easier, you have loads more control. Drags are easier with both feet clipped in (like alpine boards, but easier, as you're not twisted out of kilter), once you've got a handle on the whole "staying upright" thing.

Above all, have fun.

Simon

My first day, I simply went down an easy blue, and skid steered most of the way, putting an easy carve in the easy places. The next few runs I kept adding carves, and after the morning was done I was feeling semi comfortable. Then over the next few days, I did the same thing and things really started to click. I think it may have something to do of where you are at now with your carving on an alpine board. I did not go thru any falls.

Oh, and definitely come off chairs with the front foot unclipped. It's way easier, you have loads more control. Drags are easier with both feet clipped in (like alpine boards, but easier, as you're not twisted out of kilter), once you've got a handle on the whole "staying upright" thing.

Above all, have fun.

Simon

Thanks for the input I haven't got the board yet but was deluding myself into thinking I would take to this like a duck to water then you went and said "staying upright". It brought back that raging battle I had between boarding and skiing the same day on the same boots (ski boots if any one wants to chime in ) when teaching our kids to ski and board. Now I have to forget the stay low and do the stand tall????? Now your telling me I have to do that battle all over again. Not looking forward to the falling thing. No Pain No Gain ? :(

Thanks for all the info guys. For sure some things I didn't know, like riding the lift with front foot out :confused:.

Can also see where poles would come in handy at first. Was wondering, can you get up after a fall on the flat stuff without undoing a binding? Any other lift riding/ unloading or other skwal related riding hazards you've experienced?

I'm hoping I run into Karver Kai at SES, so he can give me a few tips.

Thanks for finding and spreading the goods Don.

Ron

Thanks for all the info guys. For sure some things I didn't know, like riding the lift with front foot out :confused:.

Can also see where poles would come in handy at first. Was wondering, can you get up after a fall on the flat stuff without undoing a binding? Any other lift riding/ unloading or other skwal related riding hazards you've experienced?

Don't try to ride T-Bars with your front foot out at first. Put your rear out also, then pun in front and go. Chairs won't be a problem, just practice riding on flat a bit first. If you need to get up on flat without poles, try to stand up in your "front" position.