Note to New Members ×

Skwal Riders General Discussion

mikel45

Catek has the WORST customer service.

They actually haven't got one :\

You are posting in a forum that is owned by a manufacturer that makes his own parts in house and has fantastic customer service.

100% true.

IMHO Bomber makes a better product. PERIOD.

Catek bindings are better as far as adjustments go. They are in a league of their own.

The Catek / TDs debate has been going on for years (do a bomber search).

IMHO, a comment by Randy S. back in 2004 sums up the debate nicely:

I think its almost a Coke/Pepsi discussion. Except that here you can argue on technical merit 'til you are blue in the face. Both are great bindings. Neither is likely to dissapoint or fail. To me it comes down to Cateks have almost unlimited adjustability and Bombers are more set-and-forget, but within certain limits, based on base disks. I do like the suspension on the new TDs, but Cateks suspension isn't half-bad. You have to ride them back-to-back to see/notice any difference and even then I think it would be a close call . . . .

Came across a
on the ExtremeCarving forum where ObiOne mentions:

Big difference between skwal and alpine snowboard . . . is actually the turn initiation and rotation . . . turn initiation with a skwal is the same . . . when you ride . . . a street motorbike . . . the weight shift, arms and shoulders are the drivers for turn initiation. . . not hips . . . the entire lateral body should enter the turn

That's exactly why I think that fine adjustments that Cateks offer are so beneficial on skwal. I had to fine tune the cants for my body to be relaxed and equalized over the board. With the bindings flat, I was struggling with body position.

This comes from a bow legged man with knees without mesial menisci, multilevel discopatia etc. Your results may vary :)

If you can find this equilibrium without fine tuning, well, lucky you!

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone confirm please that a rubber o-ring is required for binding plate before tighten the Kingpin bolt to the Spherical nut? ...... ALSO ...... who would recommend using something like Loctite threadlocker?

My cateks for my skwal have the rubber o-ring on the kingpin bolt and I don't use any type of thread locker, I just tighten it down hand tight, then give a half turn to each of the tilt screws to lock it. After that you have to loosen the tilt screws before unscrewing the kingpin.

Front: 0 deg; 6 deg toe lift, 3 deg cant to the left (outward)

Back: 0 deg; 6 deg heel lift, 3 deg cant to the right (outward)

I don't think I've considered putted the front foot canted left before though I usually have the back foot canted right, I'm going to adjust my bindings to this and give it a go! Also that tilt calculator is really handy (I don't have to pull out the protractor).

The o-ring is required on the kingpin bolt if you are using the standard elastomer. If you have the thicker/softer elastomers then you do not use the o-ring. I never used loctight on my Cateks, did the same as McDowell. Hand tighten the kingpin then turn the 4 adjuster screws a half turn to lock it in.

@ McDowell - thanks for clarification regarding o-ring. In hindsight my Loctite reference seems a bit silly now. I too am going to give the bow-leg cant stance a try.

@ John H - appreciate explanation regarding elastomers and o-ring interface. I believe I have the standard elastomer, so I bought myself replacement o-ring.

back @ McDowell - IMHO, better (and much cheaper) to purchase some basic equipment and tune your own board. Bevel is no different than snowboard or ski, boils down to personal preference. Me one degree.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all -- found a great blurb about canting requirements (based on your body structure) by Bruce Varsava of
on the
website. Skwallers are at at higher angles than stated below, but you'll get the overall gist, enjoy.

CantingCanting requirements vary depending on two reasons:

1: Binding angles

2: Personal body structure

In days of old when boards were substantially wider, this allowed for lower binding angles where you would stand more across the board than you can on the more modern narrow designs. What happens when you rotate your feet and hips more forward is that the angle at which your legs meet your hips diminishes the farther forward you go. The farther you go, the lower the angle and less canting that is required.

The other factor to allow for is personal body structure. To figure this out you need to check if you are straight legged, bow legged or knock kneed. To do this simply place your bare ankles together and stand straight up. If your knees don't touch, you're bowed. If your knees and ankles touch, you're straight and if you can't get your ankles together you're knock-kneed.

So again what are the magic numbers? Assuming that the bindings are in the mid 50-60 degree range the canting should be as follows.

• Knock Kneed: You will need 1-2 degrees of inward canting. Leave one binding flat and cant the other one inward.

• Straight legged: You lucky devils, you can usually get by with no canting. Just ride both bindings flat.

• Bow legged: You suffer the most, if you can put 2 or 3 fingers between your knees when you're ankles are touching you will need 1-2 degrees of negative canting. Leave one binding flat and cant the other one outward.

While riding, you can tell if you're canting is correct by feeling the pressure in the tops of you're boots. If you feel excessive pressure on the outsides of you're legs (common on bow legs) you should remove the canting or try negative canting. If the pressure is on the insides of your legs (common for knock kneed) you need to cant slightly more inwards. Don't forget to check you're boots, they may have a canting adjustment and this might be all you need to get balanced.

Having all this knowledge is great, but how do you adjust you're bindings accordingly. This is the really tricky part. As mentioned previously, most bindings do not allow for these delicate adjustments and the available canting plates you can add, don't even get you in the ballpark most of the time. If you're buying new bindings try to get ones that allow for these adjustments. If you can't find any or want to do something with your old bindings, the good news is that almost anything can be customized. This usually involves installing some type of plastic blocks (high density polyethylene works well) under some part of the binding and installing longer screws. Since there are such a wide array of bindings and no kits readily available, you're pretty much on your own. Find a friend with a bandsaw, drill and lots of spare time and see if you can work something out.

The final words: IT’S WORTH THE EFFORT! Everyone who's been set up properly has been amazed at the increase of comfort and performance. It could well be that if you're not totally satisfied with you're current gear a little knowledge and effort to set things up properly may be all you need to attain the next level of performance.

Look at it this way, even if it takes a couple of hours to get it done right, you'll be able to enjoy it every day you ride for the rest of your life – and that's an investment that's hard to beat!

at source

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

SkwalUSA appears to sell the same binding as mPride for about $150 less. It is very solid and 11 cm at the widest point, same as the X-Race skwal. If you have a wider board Bomber has a narrow skwal canted riser for the TD's. At 13.5 cm the binding is considerably wider than the riser so you will boot out at some point with a narrow board. Bomber Elite II snowblade bindings (no cant, reminiscent of a Fritschi plate binding) are the least expensive by far but I haven't checked them out. They would certainly be beefier than the Volkl Monocarver bindings that have not failed me (also no cant or riser). I suspect that the typical narrow boot spacing originates with the fixed forward lean of alpine boots and the absence of a cant on the early bindings. I don't notice the cant or boot spacing so long as they match the forward lean. That's all I know.