Note to New Members ×

Skwal Riders General Discussion

mikel45

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8y9cfoFwt0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8y9cfoFwt0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="385"></embed></object>

Mikel45, thanks for the chance of seing Rabbit one more time. He rides on Donek 179 with 17 SCR, his riding looks very smooth free and effortless. I'm looking forward to get my order of my second skwal from Donek. My 200 lbs need rather stiff stick I'd say AStiffAP ( length-180, 13 SCR.) It's gonna be speed and stable machine.

I'm looking forward to get my order of my second skwal from Donek. My 200 lbs need rather stiff stick (length-180, 13 SCR)

Hello Alexx, gee a timely reply indeed. Lately been contemplating ordering a Donek stick also. Was wondering what board specs would best suit my 200 lbs - thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

13m SCR is optimum.

Anyone care to guess what the SCR is on this board? ... (see video)

<object height="385" width="640"> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4ezPYQPU0o&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" height="385" width="425"></object>

Anyone care to guess what the SCR is on this board? ...

I can't see what's the board on this trailer. SCR choice depends on your purposes. What do you gonna get from riding. If you like doing the same things as in this trailer SCR should be (10m(quite unstable and snappy) -17m(very stable,but needs wide slopes and begin to work only at speed). For example Pink Banny's skwal has 17m SCR

Anyone care to guess what the SCR is on this board? ... (see video)

<object height="385" width="640"> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4ezPYQPU0o&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" height="385" width="425"></object>

sometimes 15m, sometimes 8m and sometimes 10m

minimum three differnet skwals (lacrois183, lacroix1650, thias180 or 173)

all three cheap foam skwals.....

Ace, thanks for previous suggestions re: boot & binding set-up.

I assume you mean 4-6 cm between bindings?

I'm clueless regarding bevel, what is that?

No, I mean what I said.

Between 40-46CM!

So like ~17in.

Tried the super narrow stance, not for me.

Bevel is the angle on the edge of the skwal.

Higher the bevel, the sharper the edge.

No need to go extreme on a skwal.

I can't see any good reason why a teleboard couldn't be used as a skwal - am I missing anything?

I had a King Carve teleboard 190 and had extra inserts fitted so I could bolt on hardbood bindings. It worked OK, but the small SCR ( 8 m I recall) and the length of the board did not quite match and I got the feeling that teleboad was too soft as a skwal. I put the telemark bindings back on the board and sold it away.

• 7 months later...

Attempting to build a skwal, at the moment design stage, stats are 180 - 110 - 156 mm (12m radius) @ 180 cm, just wondering what effect nose width has on performance? Wider nose width for deeper snow, narrow nose width for hard pack, or am I off-base completely - appreciate any and all insights.

Attempting to build a skwal, at the moment design stage, stats are 180 - 110 - 156 mm (12m radius) @ 180 cm, just wondering what effect nose width has on performance? Wider nose width for deeper snow, narrow nose width for hard pack, or am I off-base completely - appreciate any and all insights.

I suppouse, the width of nose in skwal's issue is not quite important. My Donek skwal has 17 cm nose,Lagriffe 18 cm nose. It's OK.

The narrower the nose,the easier turn initiation, but at the same time its less stable.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all, how cool is this . . . I got myself a skwal (thanks two_ravens :biggthump) . . . but, pressure is now on . . . seems I need to provide two_ravens with photographic evidence of me ripping monster carves on the Volkl. Problem is that I need to first learn how to ride a darn skwal, in particular, a Volkl. Understand it requires lots of speed to initiate carves. Prudent to start off using ski poles - any other suggestions for a skwal beginner would greatly be appreciated - photos pending.

I got myself a skwal, too. An old Lacroix, just to try. Can't wait!!! :eek: Excited as hell, no clue how to ride that thing. Plenty of resources, very little in English, though.

I already figured you need speed, most start with poles first. But whether it is possible to apply push-pull plus rotation technique (extremecarving-esque) remains mistery to me. On most videos you can see counter rotation, which I am trying to un-learn, but some carvers do it like I would like to.

Ohhhh, I wish I was on the piste right now! Will have to wait.

Hi all, how cool is this . . . I got myself a skwal (thanks two_ravens :biggthump) . . . but, pressure is now on . . . seems I need to provide two_ravens with photographic evidence of me ripping monster carves on the Volkl. Problem is that I need to first learn how to ride a darn skwal, in particular, a Volkl. Understand it requires lots of speed to initiate carves. Prudent to start off using ski poles - any other suggestions for a skwal beginner would greatly be appreciated - photos pending.

That's right, patiently awaiting photographic proof of you having FUN with your new Volkl! :):lurk:

• 1 month later...

false. Some skwals ride better offpiste and in the crud, though.

Most skwals are extreme carving oriented

But there are also several skwal board designed for powder.

The Thias TS176 with soft boots :

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2479&g2_serialNumber=2

and the Fall'US :

40-169-large.jpg

and here in action:

shama_seracs.jpg

Some are fine for both offpist and slopes : the Thias FC180

and the new Lagriffe board coming this season codename "white ambiance 180".

I got myself a skwal, too. An old Lacroix, just to try. ...

But whether it is possible to apply push-pull plus rotation technique (extremecarving-esque) remains mistery to me. ...

Yes you can apply push-pull in skwal also.

There is a small tutorial in english to learn skwal on a new italian resource :

http://www.skwalclubitalia.it/ see "Tecnica-skwal"

and "english version". Some videos are provided.