Note to New Members ×

Skwal Riders General Discussion

mikel45

Not sure of your budget, but Virus Powerlock III might be an option worth considering. They come with an absorption plate thing similar to the Catek polycarbonate, but much thinner and no need to modify. I don't know the width of these off hand...

http://shop.virus-snowsports.com/en/shop/produkt/snowboard-binding/virus-powerlock-stepin-intec-snowboard-binding-raceboard-alpinboard-hardboot.htm

I know for sure you can get these bindings either straight from Virus, or Bola @ AllBoardSports (Boulder, CO). He is the Virus North America dealer, and dealer for many of the companies that do anything alpine. He also has an extensive "backroom" of stuff and knows what hes talking about. He might be able to help you out with PHK bindings/parts.

Also check this out...don't know if Stephane sold these or not.

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?42146-Virus-Powerlock-III-step-in-bindings

I use PHK SKW race bindings for several years now, I combine them with PHK aluminum angled wedges - bulletproof bindings, I had 0 problems with them this far and the most important - they have a proper width and fit any skwal out there.

Drop them a line to get the easiest way of buying the bindings: http://www.phksnow.com/en/skw.html

BTW, the best skwal bindings I've ever used are these (thanks again Don!): Thias (made by Snowpro) with metal baseplates

post-12207-141842419752_thumb.jpg

makimono, I was gonna ask you where did you get the skwal, but it looks like SkwalUSA site is back from the dead - no updates on any questions by e-mail of facebook yet, but they have updated the site at least.

If they are back to business, which would be really nice, you can buy PHK bindings from them.

Thanks for the replies...yes my board is very narrow, it's only 11.5 at the base and with the angled sidewalls it's only 10.5 at the topsheet. That's something I was really concerned with about the TD3. Does anyone use the PHK bindings? Those *look* considerably narrower but I haven't seen any actual dimensions, also it doesn't seem like they're easy to buy in the US? I'll start looking at Cateks too.

Rob, I might have to make a trip to Loon! It would be cool to follow around a more experienced rider...I have a weekday pass at Wachussett and spend most of my weekend time in S. VT at Magic or Killington mainly.

No pics of the modified Cateks. I just cut off the 1MM or so that they stuck out over the edges.

I have a couple of sets of the "Thias Skwal" bindings. New or very near new. Built in approx. 3* heel/toe lift. They are 9.5 wide. NOT step-in compatible.

Don

Hi,

Are any of these still.available?

Thanks.

Greg

Hi Greg,

I sold all of the Thias Skwals. I have a custom metal Donek that I would sell for $500 without bindings. (I paid $1000), it has maybe 6 half days on it. I also have a very unique one of a kind, (only 2 in the world), powder Skwal that I would sell for $400 without bindings. I suppose either could use the Thias Skwal binding which I would sell for $100 a pair.

Don

Feed the Addiction...

What's the story on the Powder Skwal?

I took a traditional camber Nordica "Ya Luv" powder ski and "T" nutted two six packs of 4 X 4 inserts. The insert centers are 15" and 18". I'm running Catek's. I'm using the rear set in the rear and the rear set in the front and with binding base adjustments results in a 17" stance. Binding bases have in between mounting adjustments, of course, to dial in your perfect stance. It's 185CM long 167/140/157 It has a 29M radius. Wood core and metal. Low shovel and a slight rise/round tail. It absolutely rocks in the deep. It also does very well on the soft groom. I don't know how it would do on hardpack, but why would you take it out then ? I wanted a powder specific Skwal. With a 14MM waist it is wide by Skwal standards, but it isn't made/designed for fast edge transitions or elbow dragging on the firm. I picked it out to have a high speed "surfy" Skwal for the deep/fresh. It feels very "planted" and predictable @ speed, not "twitchy" at all. Very stable feeling. I've only ridden it 3 or 4 times. I usually ride my Monoski in the deep. (the ULTIMATE powder tool)

Don

Feed the Adiction...

I have the opportunity to purchase a pair of Atomic wide skis, waist is 120mm, scr looks to be approx 20m. length =185cm, older style decamber, it initiates at the beginning of effective edge, so it looks to be carve friendly. my plan is to tee nut one and get some bindings on one. Is there any interest in the other? I am going to do it any way, so I will post pics soon, but I know it is never to early to plan. R

I have the opportunity to purchase a pair of Atomic wide skis, waist is 120mm, scr looks to be approx 20m. length =185cm, older style decamber, it initiates at the beginning of effective edge, so it looks to be carve friendly. my plan is to tee nut one and get some bindings on one. Is there any interest in the other? I am going to do it any way, so I will post pics soon, but I know it is never to early to plan. R

I'm interested to know the tip and tail width, the 120 waist is close to the Skwal. Are the tip and tail anywhere close to 190mm ? I would want the new inserts to be as close to the bottom of the ski as possible since they will not have any supplemental reinforcement ( fiberglass backing ). Good Luck ! tinker on !!!!

Hi Greg,

I sold all of the Thias Skwals. I have a custom metal Donek that I would sell for $500 without bindings. (I paid $1000), it has maybe 6 half days on it. I also have a very unique one of a kind, (only 2 in the world), powder Skwal that I would sell for $400 without bindings. I suppose either could use the Thias Skwal binding which I would sell for $100 a pair.

Don

Feed the Addiction...

Email sent for info on the Donek.

Hi Greg,

Don

Feed the Addiction...

Email sent for info on the Donek.

They are Atomic ARS Powder Plus 180cm, the flex is quite stiff throughout, whic is consistent w/reviews on teton gravity. So using it alone may be just right, I will see. bases and edges are clean and plenty. I am not sure if it will turn as I like, tbd. As I ride a 9.0scr now and like it. So these may be up for sale after I had my time with them. At least I will get a reference point landmark As I will flex test it, for the data, and ride it. R

tip=135mm/ waist=115mm/ tail=125mm

Edited by RobertAlexander

What you are building there is going to be a rocket, capable of catching asteroids. It will turn but not quickly unless you can lean it over about 65 degrees. I'm delighted that you have undertaken this task. Make sure you are on good groom the first time out. I had found that speed is your friend when riding on my Thias Skwal but after considering the side cut you will be dealing on this particular ride I think my advice would be (moderate speed). Have fun !