Note to New Members ×

Skwal Riders General Discussion

mikel45

post-8777-141842405222_thumb.jpeg

Patrick Thias Balmain talks about using sticks . . .

Question: "We talk about skwal without poles ... and yet, we can also skwaler with sticks ... It almost seems that they are two disciplines ... Can you tell us what you think? According to you, is that the sticks are also suitable for carving skwal? Do you think the sticks are useful for beginners or otherwise they are an obstacle to progress?"

Answer: "Skiing without poles is more difficult and less interesting. It is the same for skwal. In my case, I practiced a lot without sticks. Today I use the sticks. They open me a much broader scope. For me, skwal tomorrow shall be conducted with sticks, even in extreme carve. Simply place the stick perpendicular to the board, horizontally on the snow, under the hand and relying on the forearm."

Nice picture,

Got the slider thing going. I was thinking how when using poles it would feel unnatural or difficult to slide your hand on the snow while your hand is in a fist shape when you are gripping poles. My hands and fingers are usually extended out to try to slide without much drag when they are on the snow. I've caught my hand in the snow before and had it slung back, doesn't feel good.(Keep your hands off the snow), I know but doesn't always work that way. Maybe a link back to my ski roots, although I must say I have not missed lugging poles around since I started snowboarding.

I have found that a wide canted stance with step-ins, riding rear foot out, and no poles works best for me. There is more than one way to skin a cat. It might take some tinkering, but go with what is comfortable. Thumbs up and welcome to the Darkside Ron.:eplus2:

Check this out if you haven't already.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Inner-Glide-Snowboarding-Skwalling/dp/159477160X

Its a nice easy read with a lots of good advice, tips and techniques.

Check this out if you haven't already.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Inner-Glide-Snowboarding-Skwalling/dp/159477160X

Its a nice easy read with a lots of good advice, tips and techniques.

Cheap too!

8 left from this seller, brand new!!

Item Subtotal:$1.23

Shipping & Handling:$3.99

Order Total:$5.22

- I would get poles if I could get those slidey thingys. Who made those back in the day? Somebody should start making those again. I can't see their usefulness on groom, but they would be helpful in pow and crud.

- I transitioned from alpine snowboards to skwals in six runs. There were a couple of slide-out episodes, but no crashes.

- Taking my front foot out freaks me out. Riding the lift is weird, getting off the lift is weird, skating is weird. I did it exactly twice, then found I could actually clip in my rear foot just cuz I'm more flexible than most people. I did that for months until I got step-ins.

- Lying down on the snow and getting up isn't a big deal. Standing and balancing while not moving is "tippy," but you get used to it.

- I find that when riding flat on something like a cat track, a skwal might tend to wander in the direction that your legs unwind. Without any control inputs from edges, I sometimes have to force my legs to keep the board going straight.

- The feeling of having your carving edge so close to the axis of the sole of your foot is cool. It feels like the edge is bolted right to the bottom of your boots and you are "stomping" your feet into the turn.

- Learning to skid a skwal strategically on a run, and also for the purposes of avoiding obstacles and coming to a stop, is one of those things that requires the development of a strange kind of finesse. It isn't hard, but it does take some practice.

- I started out on a relatively narrow 12cm skwal, and used angles like 1/3. I found that if I tried to do really laid-out turns, I would cuff-out and wrench the edge out of the snow. Now that I have 12.5 and 13.5cm skwals, the boot/cuff-out effect is less prevalent. But these wider boards require much lower angles, or else I can feel that I lack the edge pressure to skid effectively. When you set up your angles, don't underhang your boots too much, at least initially.

Hi. Ive been riding a skwal for a few years and I found sticking to Thias specs perfect as he has done all the R&D. A wide stance is for a snowboard..

Two and a half finger gap between front and back foot.

90 on the front and 87.5 on the back.

I ride all lifts with my front foot in and place two small metal stomp pads in between the two bindings to rest my back foot on when im on a surface lift or skating along a traverse to click in. Your back leg needs to be in contact with the front creating a triangle so to speak. Dont twist your shoulders, your stance is like a moto, angelate and stay square across the board at all times. Hope this helps..

• Like 1

Today at PCMR I got Fred to come out on my Monodude-supplied Easy Jungle so that he could try a Skwal for the first time. After 4 runs down the bunny slope we headed for blue runs and he was carving with authority. No crashes or falls. He may or may not become a Skwalleur, but he has tried it and knows that he can do it.

dejubyhe.jpg

Edited by ExcelsiorTheFathead

Sweet! Just out of curiosity, how did you set him up?

Well said here:

The feeling of having your carving edge so close to the axis of the sole of your foot is cool. It feels like the edge is bolted right to the bottom of your boots and you are "stomping" your feet into the turn.

Widest possible configuration on the Easy Jungle: widest inserts and near the limit of baseplate shift for something just over 16". Despite being of smaller stature, Fred uses a 20.5" stance on alpine boards. He is heavily acclimated to wide. He's in MP 25 Deeluxe boots, and I ended up with near 10 degrees of angle on the rear foot, and something like 7 on the front. He was also able to take out his rear foot. Getting back in was a little difficult, especially trying to fish around to locate and hook-in the heel bail, but it was doable.

Going up the lift with the Easy Jungle on his front foot, Fred says: "This thing is so light!"

Yes. It's the most fun you can have with the minimum amount of gear.

Edited by ExcelsiorTheFathead

I am thinking of trying the "bomber plate lower with the red e ring" on a skwal build. This will be a new board designed in CAD, and I am wondering if anyone knows the Outside diameter of said lower ring and what the outside diameter is with the red ring attached? I would like to keep the edge of the e ring 1 cm inward from the side edge of the board. This will definitely help with my design. Thank you, Robert

http://bomberonline.3dcartstores.com/TD3-2nd-Board-Kit-BP-Version--avail-mid-February_p_235.html

I could measure the picture on the computer screen and do the math because I already have the base mount red ring, as long as they are the same as the td3.

Or I could just purchase a set and find out for real. I want to know if it is within skwal dimensions with placement of front foot 2cm in front of midpoint of eff edge. Or if the bp lower is to wide make a skinny alpine board by increasing the stance, R

From the expandable pics, and a similar td3 disc that I have I was able to conclude that:

td3 center disc= 3.5"

lower metal ring= 4 7/16"

Red e ring= 5 1/8" = 130mm=13.0cm, good enough for a 14.0 cm waist skwal (all measurements taken from pics on this site)

Edited by RobertAlexander
added

What are the optimum boots to use when first attempting to master a skwal. My options are Snowboard hard boots; Track 700's, Head Stratos , Scarpa AT or Head Ski boots.

Interesting question, pretty sure I'm not going to be able to help you out as I'm not familiar with any of the listed boots. I started out and still ride with my Raichle 324 snowboard boots. Over the last couple of years I added BTS and DIY booster strap to improve boot-to-skwal feedback and personal riding comfort. I also like the ability to control the boot flex, especially with the rear boot. I hope this helps, others may have other suggestions.

What are the optimum boots to use when first attempting to master a skwal. My options are Snowboard hard boots; Track 700's, Head Stratos , Scarpa AT or Head Ski boots.
potentially useless advice: the more inline your stance becomes, the more lateral rigidity you may find you need.

Just curious, why not try them all? I used the Deeluxe Track 325, Head Stratos and Salomon ski boot (but not AT boots). They all work well, but differ slightly. You might also consider whether you have any interest in switch hitting with a single pair of boots the same day, ski/skwal or snowboarding/skwal.

...I am wondering if anyone knows the Outside diameter of said lower ring and what the outside diameter is with the red ring attached?

Measurements from BP lowers:

Metal cant disc: 5" or 12.7 cm

E-ring: 5-15/64" or 13.9 cm not including nubs

5-9/16" including nubs

Used to do the ski's then snowboard thing when the kid's were little. Really wakes up new muscles ! Skwal hasn't arrived yet but wondered what would be best to set up for with best prospect of not doing bodily harm.

+2 hardboots. Carpet surfing beforehand. Bunny hill with sticks.

Spring 2011, here is what I posted about my first skwal experience . . . "a non-boarder, solely a skier - first day ever on a skwal. Started off on magic carpet (bunny hill) to learn how to point and track the board under limited speed. Move to tow rope (larger bunny hill) to increase speed. Moved to triple chair, learned mighty quick how to depart chair, initiate turns and more importantly how to stop!! Ski poles used throughout. Also, let be known, all was not accomplished without a few rolling windmills. All before noon. Overall conclusion, skwals are a blast - highly recommended!!"

To all who have recently bought one of the skwals I sold and to anyone else riding Thias Skwals also. Straight from an original set-up manual.

Hard pack: Small feet: front foot (F2), rear foot (B1)

Big feet: front foot (F1), rear foot (B1)

Soft snow or powder: small feet: front foot (FP), rear foot (BP)

big feet: front foot (F2), rear foot (BP)

It doesn't say where the cut-of is. I would say small is below 24 MP and big is above.

Recommended angles for all: front (2.5*,) rear foot (5*)

The Thias Skwals were designed to work best in these configurations. The reason for the close stance is also designed on purpose. Straight from the book...

Basic Stance...

Shoulders and pelvis forward

Head facing forward

arms forward in a "ready" position

body weight rests on the front heel

bend knees and hips until thighs touch

back knee must make contact with the front leg

shins must be in contact with your boot tongue

I'll paraphrase the turn sequence.

Basically... Intiate the turn on the heel of the front foot progressivley shifting to weight to the toes of the rear foot at/from apex to finish.

I have ridden all of my Skwals with a wider stance, (17") They all carve well and feel great. I recently rode my new to me Lacroix which has around (14") stance. All I can say is WOW. I think there must be something about the dynamics/mechanics of the basic stance:

1. Thighs and knees touching,

2. Weight on the heel of the front foot.

3. Pressuring the boot cuffs.

That makes the Skwal work it's best IMHO ??? I have also ridden with around 8* heel lift and 4* or 5* toe lift using Cateks/Ski boots.

The Lacroix bindings have about 3* + 3* the same as the Thias boards.

Anyway my whole point in this ramble is...

TRY a 14" stance with 3* + 3* lifts. (For the Thias boards set up your stance as described above.)

Don

Feed The Addiction...

• Like 1

So, anyway, I'm frickin' gutted.

Managed to put my back and hip out at work 2 weeks ago, spent a week ripped to the tits with 2 injections a day of valium and some other stuff, am now back at work but about as flexible as a plank. And this weekend was the euro skwal meetup at La Norma - http://www.skwal.eu/public/index.php/post/2013/12/22/Skwal-Riding-Festival-2014. Ain't no way I could go. Spent the day looking at sunny snow, then at my skwal, then at sunny snow, then at my skwal again, and sighing deeply.

I don't dare look for photos or videos online.

Grrrrrrr.