Note to New Members ×

Injured Wrist and Wrist Guard Questions

anke

Injured my wrist last week for the first ever, hurt badly, still does to some degree.

Got myself this orthopedic wrist guard: http://www.amazon.com/Futuro-Reversible-Splint-Wrist-9-0-Inch/dp/B000A2BBZQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1267079555&sr=1-4

I now realize that getting wrist guards for snowboarding might be a good idea.

Now my question. Somewhere, many years ago, in the previous decade, I heard someone saying that wrist guards for snowboarding might actually injure you more, for whatever reasons (I forgot why).

Don't ask me any details about this, because that's all I remember and that's what was stuck in my head until my little accident last week.

1) Can anyone point me to supporting studies or numbers in how wrist guards prevent wrist injuries in snowboarding? Or personal experiences?

2) Should I just get a second orthopedic guard as the one in the link above and use those under my glove? They do have a metal splint and while I am wearing it it fells very supportive and stable/secure.

3) Any other product tips on which wrist guards to get? Anybody here uses Flexmeters? http://www.snowboardsecrets.com/flexmeter_all_season_order_page.htm

Or No Gomers http://www.auclairgloves.com/products.cfm?uid=167??

4) Are cheap ones like those good enough?

http://www.rei.com/product/744906

http://www.rei.com/product/744905

Thank you.

Easy to get, it's affordable and it worked. Been using this for 4 seasons and safed my wrist hundreds...Amateur hockey playa use these also for slash guard. The slash guard / upper pvc is acting as a limiter your hand from over flex. It's soft stiffness of the upper pvc material also help reduce fingers injury when overflexes. Cost me CAD35 instead USD350 buying the special made for snowboard.

Another type u can get:

http://www.skirack.com/browse.cfm/4,4770.html

http://about.pricegrabber.com/search.php/topcat_id=/topcat_search=1/form_keyword=wrist+guards/

or so many at Ebay.

Specialize for snowboard:

http://www.wrist-guard.com/snowboard-protection-products.html

The drawback: If use inside gloves u need to buy one sz bigger.

I hope this will help. Heal fast.

RT

post-6136-141842304994_thumb.jpg

post-6136-141842304996_thumb.jpg

I started with "No Gomers" which provide the best protection IMHO - they strap on outside your glove and protect both your wrist and thumb. The downside is that they act like snowplows and snow/ice can really build up under your palm.

I now ride with "Flexmeter" guards and really like them. They fit under your gloves, so like the wrist/slash guards, you'll need a size larger glove...

BTW - gomer is doctor speak for Get Out of My Emergency Room

If a wrist guard is totally rigid, it concentrates stress and can cause you to break your arm instead. So wrist guards are designed *not* to be totally rigid. Some are too soft, like the ones designed by the team of doctors in the Swiss Alps or whatever they hype in the Level gloves. I broke my wrist using those. Wrist, not arm!

A lot of wrist guards are just rebranded roller blade junk. I like the Triple Eight Undercover Snow (I think they're called). Good flex but still quite supportive. Very comfortable. They're the best I've tried. For skateboarding I really like the Triple 8 Hired Hand, but it's too bulky to fit under a glove.

The proper stiffness of a wrist guard would depend on how strong the various bones involved are, I guess. You want to spread the force over as much as possible without overloading anything.

Having said that, I find that I don't fall to my hands anymore, so lately I haven't used my wrist guards snowboarding. I guess this got started when I couldn't find them. Probably should start using them again... barely notice them when they're on so no excuse really.

I don't use them. I've been falling for a long time and I've learned how to fall to avoid injury. It's a rare occasion that it happens so fast that I'm unable to fall properly.

As for hockey slash guard... That's a good idea. I'm only in a B-league though, so there shouldn't be a whole lot of slashing, at least not that high. I could see that being useful though.

I was told by a couple of docs that the wrist guards (stiff rollerblade type ones) are poorly designed. they advised removing the splint that sits on top of the hand and just keeping the stiff plastic part that sits inside the palm - the likely area of impact.

That being said, I haven't used them in years...

I use the Level Fly gloves with the built-in wrist guard. It sounds from teach's post above that these might be too soft, so perhaps I should look into something else.

My 14-year old nephew recently shattered his hand snowboarding. He was wearing proper wrist guards, which may have saved his wrist, but the bones in his hand were shattered and he currently is in a cast with a bunch of pins holding his hand together.

1) Can anyone point me to supporting studies or numbers in how wrist guards prevent wrist injuries in snowboarding? Or personal experiences?

The effect of wrist guards on wrist and arm injuries among snowboarders: a systematic review.

Clin J Sport Med. 2007 Mar;17(2):145-50. Review.

• Wrist guards reduce the risk of wrist injuries among snowboarders. For every 50 snowboarders who were a wrist guard, one wrist injury will be averted.

The efficacy of wrist protectors in preventing snowboarding injuries.

Am J Sports Med. 2001 Sep-Oct;29(5):581-5.

• We conclude that wrist braces are effective in protecting snowboarders against wrist injury. Beginners are a high-risk group.

Other scientific journals can be found at PubMed:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/

Years ago, I had to see a doctor (who was also qualified as a sports physician) about a non-snowboard-related injury, and asked him about wrist protection for snowboarding. He told me that, generally speaking, he wouldn't recommend wrist guards designed for inline-skating or similar for snowboarding. I have been using Level gloves w/ integrated wrist protectors since, without (knock on wood) any injuries.

I've worn these for the last 2 years. http://www.dakine.com/ski/gloves/wristguards/wristguard/. Their marketing person should be fired for not providing a front view of the guard that actually does the protecting, but they're solid.

For a newbie on east coast ice, I'm positive they've kept me from breaking my wrist multiple times.

I did break my thumb though last year, which landed me in a removable plaster brace that went around my thumb and about 5 inches above my wrist. That actually worked even better as a wrist guard so I asked my physical therapist to make me one for my other hand but they were like $40 each.

researched this extensively before starting boarding.

Went with Flexmeter in gloves (can't remove them from the gloves), and the same without gloves.

The gloves were / are quite restricting, and the 2008/9 double (dorsal and ventral splints) guards were uncomfortable because the palmside (ventral) splint was too long, and not well padded, so it pinched into the first finger joint past the knuckle on all fingers when boarding with a closed fist; presenting the risk of injury there if falling in the recommended way with fingers tucked in.

The 2009/2010 "plus" model (for "snow and skate" european terminology)...sold by Snowboard secrets US as the ex glove "all season" model, and in the glove as the black 2009/2010 model, and another stronger (ex glove "snowboard") model (european terminology-see german flexmeter website), both address this problem.

The gloves can be mitts or fingered.

I think that the ultimate snowboarding setup would be the gloveless double snowboard model used in a nice mitt of your choice.

This allows removal and drying / cleaning/ repair of the guard, and replacement /swaping of the glove according to conditions.

These guards are in my opinion the best on the market

I fell a lot when I was learning, including on Dendex and Snowflex (plastic slopes). Never came close to hurting a wrist though. Now if I fall my wrists definitely don't come into it. I know that doesn't answer any of those questions, but I guess I'm saying you don't really need it.

Yes wear them, what ever brand You get.

I have noticed its the "slow" caual riding and stopping that can "get you" , even 1mph on ice and break your wrists.

I know for sure I have saved my wrists with my modified skater guards under loose fitting sb gloves in both high speed wipe outs wiht the associated long slide and just sliding to a stop and "hook" an edge and "dump" face 1st.

It is also wise to learn how to fall, a Judo / JuJitsu type fall will save you.

PS: >>>> Look at my profile picture > I wear my wrist guards and helmet when walking to and from the parking lot, you would be surprised at how many people slip & fall in the icy -wet parking lot ;)

I currently wear the Seirus Jam Master external type, as currently sold by REI. These exoskeleton things go on the outside of my Marmot ski gloves, and look very much like the type posted in the picture by CarvingScooby. I tried the various types that REI had in the store and found that the Burton R.E.D. and Seirus inside-the-glove types felt too flexy. But now I wonder if those have the "correct" amount of flex, and my externals are too stiff?

The Seirus outside the glove model has the downside of holding on to snow and getting wet. On a rainy day, the padding will turn into a sponge. I might re-evaluate internals, or gloves with integrated protection.

I can see how people with skills feel that they don't need these. However I sometimes stick (plunge) my trailing hand into the snow on deep toesides because my reflexes tell me that I'm falling over. One of these days the snow will grab back.

I have close to 1500 days on snow and have never worn a wrist guard.

Never had any serious wrist injury.

I have been teaching for 12 seasons and do not suggest them for students.

The forearm snap is something I have seen.

Think of an Oak tree in a storm falling over, the limbs snap and the trunk bounces; learn to tuck in the arms and relax on impact.

I have close to 1500 days on snow and have never worn a wrist guard.

Never had any serious wrist injury.

I have been teaching for 12 seasons and do not suggest them for students.

The forearm snap is something I have seen.

Think of an Oak tree in a storm falling over, the limbs snap and the trunk bounces; learn to tuck in the arms and relax on impact.

Ecco +1 on this.

I've hurt my wrist but thankfully not broken. I always say to "ride with fist"... as it is easier to punch out a skier, and then fist-bump yer bro after it!".. the guest laughs, then I say actualy the fist is stronger than an open hand and will be less likely to hyperflex and cause injury. One co-worker said something a while ago that made a lot of sense... Wristguards protect the weaker link, but also transfer shock to the radius and ulna resulting in a much worse potential scenario. his words ring true as I whitnessed just such event a few weeks ago when a kid (wearing wristguards) in a beginner park fell baddly and busted his arm on a rail.

I've used the Serius inside-the-glove wristguards and they seemed to provide very little protection for me. Similar to the Biomex plastic pieces in my Level Superpipes. The Triple 8 Undercover Snow are stiffer, just about right for me. But like several posters said (including me), everything depends on the relative strengths of the various bones. The Serius are probably better than nothing, and very unlikely to cause a break further up the arm or to the hand.

One co-worker said something a while ago that made a lot of sense... Wristguards protect the weaker link, but also transfer shock to the radius and ulna resulting in a much worse potential scenario. his words ring true as I whitnessed just such event a few weeks ago when a kid (wearing wristguards) in a beginner park fell baddly and busted his arm on a rail.

I have worn wrist guards since almost breaking my wrist crossing a cat track on a powder day with zero visibility 5 years ago.

I want to protect the weaker link. A flexible wrist guard is not going to transfer sufficient load to the radius and ulna to break them except in a freak or severe accident, if even then.

How is the kid "busting" his arm on a rail an example of wrist guard failure. Did the wrist guards cause the busted arm? Did they make it worse than if he had not been wearing them?

I agree with learning how to fall. I have had some nasty bike crashes and snowboard crashes and have never broken a bone. I think part of it is luck and perhaps having strong bones, and part is knowing how to fall. I'm pretty good a tucking in my arms when I'm going down. That saves wrists and arms, but can also result in shoulder/collarbone injuries. I have landed hard on my shoulder where it was sore for months, but thankfully no serious damage.

My nephew, on the other hand, has broken an arm at the playground, he broke his wrist snowboarding (without wrist guards), he broke his hand snowboarding (with wrist guards), and he broke his foot falling off his bicycle. He is tall and thin and has grown quickly, so he might just have fragile bones, but he also doesn't seem to have any sense of protecting himself from the hit or knowing how to fall. Even playing hockey he never seemed to prepare himself to take a hit.

So, I think that taking a tumbling class or a martial arts class that teaches you how to fall can really help prevent injury. It also teaches awareness of where your body is in space. Improving your strength and flexibility can also do a lot to prevent injuries.

How is the kid "busting" his arm on a rail an example of wrist guard failure. Did the wrist guards cause the busted arm? Did they make it worse than if he had not been wearing them?

The head ski patrol examiner said it was how he fell on the wrist guards and rail that caused the break to be transfered as his arm "folded" over the end of the stiff plastic under his forearm where the wrist guard ended.

It was definitely freaky to see. :freak3: Its not an example of failure, but just of how the energy of impact was transfered further up the line. The upside is that arms heal better than scaphoid bones do.

post-2724-141842305082_thumb.jpg