Note to New Members ×

Front leg melt down! Need help?

eos4life

I am trying to understand why I am having major front leg burn:flamethro.

I was riding a Coiler free carve 178 until I switch to a Coiler VSR 173.

I felt a real difference in my riding with the VSR (improved hold in the carve, ease of riding) but I am having front leg burn that will require skin graft....:(

So here are the 2 different set-up. Maybe you will be able to help me understand and possibly fix my problem.

Coiler freecarve 178

19.5 stance centered in the inserts.

TD2 standard in the front with 3 degree toe lift

TD2 step-in in the back with 6 degree heel lift with about a 1 degree outward cant.

57 degree front angle and 52 degree angle.

No burning what so ever, well maybe later in the day.:biggthump

Coiler VSR 173

19.5 stance centered in the inserts.

TD3 step-in in the front with 3 degree toe lift

TD3 step-in in the back with 6 degree heel lift with 1 degree outward cant.

57 degree front angle and 52 degree angle.

Noodles legs, wimp...

I was under the impression that I had duplicated the same set-up and I was ready for a great day.

No such thing...:( I had to stop about 2 to 3 times per run because my front leg was burning so much I could hardly stand up...

I almost forgot, I also changed my liners. But I don't think this could be the reason but I thought I should mention it so you know everything that has been changed from the Freecarve to the VSR.

I tried one change in my set-up before ending my day early. I moved my front binding assembly one insert back and it did help a little but I did not came close to my usual riding feeling.

The only thing I can think of was that I am unbalanced with my weight too far forward. Maybe the TD3 step-in in the front is raising my heel compared to the TD2 standard?:confused:

I was thinking about putting a 6 degree toe lift to change my weight distribution. What do you think? I was also thinking of putting my old liners back in my boots as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The kids are starting their school break and we had plan to go to the hills for a few days. This looks like a challenge for me at this point. I would like to avoid my kids from picking me up at the bar totally smashed.:eek:

At this point, I feel I am not worthy of my VSR Terminator.:mad::mad::mad: Please help! Thanks.

post-1009-141842304461_thumb.jpg

try swapping your cants - put the 6 in front and the 3 in back - just an idea.

Usually when my front leg is burning I either increase my front toe lift or widen my stance a quarter inch - and move back ot original a day or twi later...don't know why this works, but it does for me.

oh, and +1 on sportlegs.

This is worth a try, but I would recommend moving your stance forward one set of holes first. If that doesn't do it, then move them back, and swap the cants. If that doesn't work, then move the bindings forward again with the 6 in front. When bindings are too far back, you have to lean on your front leg more.

SportLegs.com

It works.

I have used Sportslegs in the past and I know this works. The thing is, I have been riding top to bottom all season without it with no burn and since I switched boards it is like someone has stolen my legs. Litteraly!

I am no expert but I am pretty sure it is set-up related.

I will definitely take some sportlegs on my next session along with some set-up adjustements. Not sure yet what they will be.

This is worth a try, but I would recommend moving your stance forward one set of holes first. If that doesn't do it, then move them back, and swap the cants. If that doesn't work, then move the bindings forward again with the 6 in front. When bindings are too far back, you have to lean on your front leg more.

This sounds like a plan.

Sportslegs and then playing around with those stance changes.

I will bring my old board so I can see if the legs are the problem so this way I can rule out possible causes one by one. Like someone said only change one thing at a time.

Do you know if going from a TD2 standard to a TD3 step-in the front might change my heel height compared to my toe height ratio?

Thanks for the hints!

Usually when my front leg is burning I either increase my front toe lift or widen my stance a quarter inch - and move back ot original a day or twi later...don't know why this works, but it does for me.

oh, and +1 on sportlegs.

I think there is a general concensus here maybe wider stance, increase toe lift and a bit or either fore or aft positioning.

Just looked at the forecast and it looks like the we could get more rain then snow...:angryfire

I will definetely make it to the slopes this week to tweak my stance.

Thanks for the help.

Will let you know how it progress.

What are central widths of the boards? It seems that Coiler Freecarve is quite narrow by today's standards (<19 cm) but I guess that VSR is much wider (21 cm? more?) If this is the case then I see no point in using same binding angles as it requires more effort to put board on edge and could be reason for leg burning. Set rear binding so that there is no overhang from binding and boot and set front binding angle some degrees more (I use +3 degrees).

What are central widths of the boards? It seems that Coiler Freecarve is quite narrow by today's standards (<19 cm) but I guess that VSR is much wider (21 cm? more?) If this is the case then I see no point in using same binding angles as it requires more effort to put board on edge and could be reason for leg burning. Set rear binding so that there is no overhang from binding and boot and set front binding angle some degrees more (I use +3 degrees).

Both boards are 20cm at the waist.

You can order different width for those 2 board type, I kept the same width because it works for me.

Angles are the same with no booth overhang.

Theonly true change is the front binding from TD2 standard to TD3 step-in.

Maybe my front heel sits abit higher now with the TD3.

This is still a mistery for me why the change has been so drastic.:confused:

Thx.

Both boards are 20cm at the waist.

You can order different width for those 2 board type, I kept the same width because it works for me.

OK, it was wild shot from me anyway, as I don't know spex.

I had front leg tiredness problem on heelside turns (or keeping heelside edge on flat sections) when my binding angles were unnecessary high. Lowering them as much as possible helped but this doesn't seem to be the case here.

But another thought if you try both boards on carpet: does the stance feel same? And is front binding centered (i.e. same distance from edges on heelside and toeside)? If heelside (or toeside) turn feels more tiresome on front leg then adjusting binding position might help?

But another thought if you try both boards on carpet: does the stance feel same? And is front binding centered (i.e. same distance from edges on heelside and toeside)? If heelside (or toeside) turn feels more tiresome on front leg then adjusting binding position might help?

Binding are the same as far as positioning, no different for the legs burn from heel or toe side turns?

I did not ride carpet. The trouble is that I switch to the Fintech heels and I did not adjust the heels receptacle on the former TD2. This would require some playing around. Maybe I will just put a pair of standard TD2 on my old board and then compare both on carpet.

Forget all that moving of bindings, swap that board with me for $$$:1luvu::biggthump

Sorry no can do!:nono:

If you are on the waiting list for a Coiler, I don't mind sending you the custom topsheet file far a few buck! This way you can have your own Termi.

I know this is fixable I just want to find the solution asap so I can ride it and switch faces from agony the a bit grin.:eplus2:

I swapped my 6 to front and 3 to rear. It was comfy, but then I swapped to a 6 rear. I need to try the 3 against the 6 rear again, but I've stayed with 6 and 6 for a month or two now.

I've sometimes wondered what 6+6 would feel like - how wide is your stance?

Would you swap both or would you change only the front from 3 to 6.

I have an extra 6 I could use so I could run 6 rear and front??

Thx.

I would probably start with 3 in the rear and 6 in the front, because you are not changing the overall amount of lift you are applying in that case, just biasing the lift further forward (in terms of front/rear footing). How tall are you?

I've sometimes wondered what 6+6 would feel like - how wide is your stance?

I would probably start with 3 in the rear and 6 in the front, because you are not changing the overall amount of lift you are applying in that case, just biasing the lift further forward (in terms of front/rear footing). How tall are you?

I am 6feet tall with about 32 inseam height.

I remember that I saw somewhere that 0.607 times the inseam was a good starting point. My stance is 19.5. I took the measurement center to center on my binding. Is this the right way?

I will take your advice and run with 6 front and 3 rear as a starter.

Go to the car, have a snack and some water, get out your tools, fiddle with the bindings until your leg feels better, put away the tools, go back out and ride.

It's not a permanent fix, but what else is permanent?

Sounds like my plan for wednesday!:biggthump

Just trying not to do too much tooling around and start with the best possible fix!

Otherwise, it will be yell at the chair lift guy, get drunk the bar, get back home with a taxi and then sell the Terminator and all related junk only to regret it in the morning with a huge hangover...:lol:

The Intec/Fintec heel is thicker than the pad it replaces, but I haven't looked at if or how the heel moves between the two once mounted in a binding. My guess is that the heel location is very similar.

If you have the extra cant, try it. Putting a 6 up front solved my leg burn immediately. I use 6 and 6 and love it! Others ride 0 all around and love that. You won't know until you try all the options.