Note to New Members ×

Alpine Snowboard Plate Systems

www.oldsnowboards.com

As time rolls on it has become apparent that exactly where on a board the plate should go has proved elusive SG seems to have covered the spectrum ! Well done.

Have they? It looks like you're still limited by the location of the inserts on the board. Hardware that offsets the axle from the inserts, as the Boilerplate hardware does, is necessary to overcome that. Not to mention, different hardware than shown would be required to mount on a 4x4 as opposed to 4x2 pattern.

different hardware than shown would be required to mount on a 4x4 as opposed to 4x2 pattern.

Excuse my ignorance here. Is a 4x2 pattern just using the holes between the normal 4cmx4cm pattern. I just measured the insert distance between bolts, and it looks like 4cm x 4cm on a normal 4x4 setup, with 2cm between the intermediate bolts.

If that is the case why would one want to use 4x4 mounts, when 4x2 would let the board flex better anyhow? Well, I guess if you want to position it exactly over a 4x4 mount, you wouldn't be able to....

The SG plate looks fast and damn sexy.

Some board builders use 2cm spacing between inserts some 4cm It's apparent SG is designing plates for his boards(makes sense since matching plates to boards is going to be a new science) Designing a plate and hardware for every board and insert pattern is a challenge unto itself let alone designing a plate that works for all types of riders.

Is a 4x2 pattern just using the holes between the normal 4cmx4cm pattern. I just measured the insert distance between bolts, and it looks like 4cm x 4cm on a normal 4x4 setup, with 2cm between the intermediate bolts.

My understanding, is that the 4x4 pattern is so named because the holes are 4cm apart in both directions. 4x2 implies 4 cm apart across the board and 2cm apart along the length of the board - like what is shown in the SG pix above. The SG hardware shown requires your board to have 4x2 inserts. Look at the photo again. Not all boards do; most Doneks and Diablos that I have seen, for example, are 4x4 not 4x2.

A lot of people use the term 4x4 to refer to anything compatible with 4x4 bindings which would obviously include boards with 4x2 insert patterns.

So even with a relative short board the board was ridable with a plate system?

Hence I thought only longer boards could benefit.....

I rode a donek plate on a friends custom donek saber with softboots in similar conditions to nekduts experience back around xmas and was amazed at how well it worked. It ripped through the chunder and rode like caddy in conditions that would normally shake an edge loose (at least for someone of my ability). I found myself explaining to friends what it is designed to do, and the whole narrowing of stance as the board deflects in a physics textbook perfect world etc etc but then saying that compared to its ability to smooth out that days crud, in reality, the original/inteded benefits seem moot. I was worried i would lose that immediacy of contact or that somehow the plate would over-isolate the rider and one would have to start 'having faith' in the equipment (see: poorly designed long-travel mtn bike suspension, or active ride susp, F1, pre-'93) in order to reap the benefits - when i didnt lose any of that - i could still feel conditions changing underfoot.

I am yet to try it on my VSR or any of the other boards gathering dust since i acquired the vsr, but suspect that it would be about the same effect, regardless of board length. If anything - the more rutted/chopped the hill/course, the better it seems to work.

As noted by many others -the only thing that got to me was the additional weight. My knees are okay - but by the end of the day i could feel pain in my front knee from what i suspect are just minor adjustments to straightening the board in the lift line, or on the chair. No comment on the additional weight when falling on it - the board was sooooo fast (borderline klug FP 18x white knuckle) i couldnt afford the option on our ON hills. kudos to sean on constructing such a deadly set up.

again, as noted by many others before me - game changer. need to try it on a big stick next.

Heard a rumor that that system is going away next year.

All the high end boards will still have the channel for 2012 ...

And something else - did you notice that Burton reduces its performance oriented gear year by year?

They had very good bindings for BX and carving (C60 and C02) - this year there was no C60 for 4x4 boards anymore (only the est Version - which doesn´t make much sense, right?). For next year there is no more C60 or C02 at all!

At least they still have the DriverX, but it´s basically the same shoe as this year.

There is also no more T7 (formerly T6) board.

Don´t get me wrong. I love Burton bindings because they are so comfortable and I was also a real Burton fan for many years, but this is a strange development ...

Brian, I've only checked out this threat 40,000 times, so I can't imagine where the other 6,000 come from...:lol:

Ok, anyone have any updates/comments in the K-plate?

Good one! :eek: I thought it only counted new looks? (from the same computer doesn't count?) If not, I can account for the other 6,000 views :1luvu:

I rented a Supermodel 168 at Jackson Hole last year for 3 days and it had the channel. I experienced no issues and it seemed like the system worked fine.

You are absolutely right. I also had no issues. But the question was about compatibility of the system. No plates and hardly any other bindings ...

The SG plate looks very clean and simple:biggthump. Has anyone provided a review of it yet?

I have not ridden the SG plate but saw a WC racers setup in person. Both the front and rear plates that attach to the board were slightly bent. With the forces the racers put on the plate system I'd be a little worried about the hardware. Fin's BBP hardware design is more solid. For 1000 Euros get the BBP.

I have not ridden the SG plate but saw a WC racers setup in person. Both the front and rear plates that attach to the board were slightly bent. With the forces the racers put on the plate system I'd be a little worried about the hardware. Fin's BBP hardware design is more solid. For 1000 Euros get the BBP.
Wow, that's not good! I assume it is cnc aluminum? Again , the trade offs between weight and strength.

Do you mean bent laterally across the width of the board?