Note to New Members ×

Alpine Snowboard Plate Systems

www.oldsnowboards.com

I just found this picture on the net. The price is considerably higher than the Vist plate (Vist is around 300 Euro (420 dollars) in Europe, the Kessler plate is around 450 Euro (630 dollars)).

By the way, many pros are still using the Vist system (or a similar one) - it can´t be that "oldschool" :ices_ange ...

Wintergold, thanks for the photo!

I am going to compile some of those I have collected and post on one of my sites. Can you post the link ? More photos ?

The site (many here might remember) is not ready for prime time, but the gallery is here. I have allot of alpine snowboard photos to post, just need time to get it done. I have started to post some of the photos. I will put extra effort into those items requested , provided and of current interest to the alpine community. www.finelineclub.com

b4buwcgkkgrhqmoknqe6rq4.jpgvbulletinSuper plate sold on ebay!

He is selling it as an alpine snowboard!!!!!

Hahahahaha!!!!!!!

I stopped water skiing years ago because I hated what 2 cycle motors left behind, but I gotta tell 'ya that thing would be a blast in the water.

Take the straps off and noboard it.

BTW did Kildy make it?:lol:

What's it's nick name... Clavicle Slayer?

I just found this picture on the net. The price is considerably higher than the Vist plate (Vist is around 300 Euro (420 dollars) in Europe, the Kessler plate is around 450 Euro (630 dollars)).

By the way, many pros are still using the Vist system (or a similar one) - it can´t be that "oldschool" :ices_ange ...

Ok, I'll bite. Does anyone know how the K-plate is supposed to works? For example, does it float?

Thanks,

I stopped water skiing years ago because I hated what 2 cycle motors left behind, but I gotta tell 'ya that thing would be a blast in the water.

Take the straps off and noboard it.

BTW did Kildy make it?:lol:

What's it's nick name... Clavicle Slayer?

What is that thing?

• 2 weeks later...

Intriguing video, with the ski tracking well and clearly independently from the binding plate/springs mechanism floating above. The theory behind the system would seem to be that having the attachment points towards tip and tail of the ski ensures maximum edge in contact with the snow. It would argue for a performance benefit for plate attachment points significantly farther apart than the current UPM pattern. Whether the spring part of the suspension creates its' own performance gain, or, whether one could use a hinge/slide plate as this thread has been discussing but with a long plate and attachment points towards tip and tail to achieve the same effect. A downside would seem to be that as you approach tip & tail the ski/board core becomes thinner and creating attachment points of adequate strength becomes more and more of a problem. SunSurfer

Sunsurfer. I was intrigued by the Anton Glider system also but if you look closely at the photo, you will notice that the bindings are attached to the ski just below the boot as well as at the tip and tail. The Anton system appears to be more of a dampener for the tip and tail as opposed to a decoupling system.

On the Anton website there is a video where the inventor talks with a past freestyle skiing champion. He describes the system as allowing the ski to flex completely independently of the binding chassis above.

The chassis does appear to possibly have two attachment points to the ski.

It looks a little like a plate with a spring tip/tail pressure system created by the springs.

Watching the video shows the beautiful paired grooves created by the riders as the skis carve cleanly throughouut the turns.

Intriguing & thought provoking design with a ski with NO camber (see below). Consistent comment from the reviews I read was how easy it made it to make the skis carve, and how the spring+damper system made the ski tuneable for flex & very damped(a little like M Tinkler's SnowStix)

Review @ http://www.exoticskis.com/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=38

including a number of detailed close-up photos.

AntonGliders005.jpg

(excerpt)

---------------------------------------------

Technical Ski Data (if known):

- Proprietary flex pattern with zero-camber

- Wood core/triax fiberglass sandwich w/o metal

- CNC machined mounting point inserts

- Stainless Steel mounting hardware

- Aircraft-alloy anodized aluminum chassis

- CNC machined from custom extrusions

- Waterjet-cut, unidirectional composite main leaf springs

- High performance polyurethane elastomer chassis springs and Ultra high molecular weight polyethylene bearing material

- 360 degree-wrap edge, 2+ millimeter,

- Dura Jet carbon racing base (US made, like PTEX 4000 but more

durable and claimed to be faster)

- Rossignol Axium bindings

The skis are designed to have no camber (you read right). The suspension system provides the camber and tension of that camber. Take the skis off the suspension, they would lay flat on the bench. Bolt the suspension system and they are "cambered" for action. Odd, but cool.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/849345" frameborder="0" height="300" width="400"></iframe>ExoticSkis: 08-09 Anton Gliders Carbon EX Skis from ExoticSkis on Vimeo.

Watching the video on Vimeo, the skier now moves on the slope like someone on a carving snowboard!!

This concept may well be the next step on from where our current hinge/slide plates are.

If I was a racer looking to get a step ahead of the opposition I'd be looking at either working with this guy or finding a partner like Apex Composites / M Tinkler to tweak the concept for a racing snowboard.

SunSurfer

post-7136-141842324137_thumb.jpg

Interesting design. Binding+Plates design. These are prototype images. Will be available first week of November in Korea. Once it is available, more info. will be revealed.

Sliding mechanism on front / Fixed on rear

Fixed foot angles (54/48) for goofy or regular but customizable by request.

No cants for TDs but works for F2s type cants/lifts.

One can put whole bindings on top of that plates. (The inventor claimed that he designed it that way to reduce weight of the plates system)

Weight: 1.7 kg (3.75 lbs)

Material: Duralumin 7000 for plates and Stainless for axis and brackets

Height from Deck: 25 mm (1 inch)

post-8598-14184232414_thumb.jpg

post-8598-141842324143_thumb.jpg

post-8598-14184232418_thumb.jpg

Thought you might like to see what I saw today.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srpntWd05xU?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srpntWd05xU?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Nice tease

but I want to see the 4x4 hardware go together:biggthump

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPj0x8DIZsM?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPj0x8DIZsM?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

It's like Christmas without the gaudy wrapping paper! :) I wouldn't have the patience to set up a camera, I always tear into stuff ASAP.

Trust me Corey, if the camera wasn't right there handy , it wouldn't have happened. Hope to get a chance to put it on a board in the next couple days. Now, which one? Most of my recent Tinklers don't have a 4x4 pattern (note, they are not UPM either). One of the reasons I was thrilled to get the Donek is being able to put it on so many different boards. My hope is that this plate system (or ones similar to it) will take what I have liked so much about the Tinkler plate systems and apply it to my entire quiver. Keep in mind Mike, continues to develope . Good times ahead folks!! :biggthump

post-198-141842324219_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842324222_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842324225_thumb.jpg

Hey Sean... would you recommend against pushing the slider to the other end of travel, swapping to the other side and mounting the slider block with the tab end facing rearward? (aside from not lining up with the plate's screwholes when using the spacer strips) If recommend against, why?

Elegant. I like the way you've designed in some adaptability.

Do you have any guidance regarding selecting axle spacing and fore/aft centering to start with? So many different interacting factors to consider such as board stiffness, rider weight, riding style, slope condtions, etc.

Looking forward to a demo at SES !!!