Note to New Members ×

broke a Virus!!

Ear dragger

I've contacted frank and it looks like I'm gonna get another tantalus but an evolution series. He says it has some more beef to it and of course all of their cutting edge technology. I find the warranty he offers to be very attractive!!

Sounds like there's going to be some warranty coverage, maybe a discount on a new board? That's pretty awesome -- how many other companies in any industry will honor a warranty claim from someone other than the original purchaser? Thumbs up to Frank for standing behind his products.

Geez, guys, get over it, ride on, you are making a fuzz about a board, which is about 6-7 years old and was riddin the way it was suppose to!!! HARD!

Btw. Any idea how many Kesslers break? Ha HA! Every board can break!

Wow, but was it really Bruce's place to add his "senf" here? Not professional IMHO. I have to assume if this would have been a broken Coiler that Cyrus would not have given his S**t to it... anyway, this thread is a total waste of ink :o

Cheers!

no, unprofessional is this http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=24007&highlight=bruce orhttp://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=24296&page=2

Bruce said nothing ill of said deck just was stating how to find out what the issue was and why some boards fail.

my question is why does Frank seem to have a axe to grind?

Sounds like there's going to be some warranty coverage, maybe a discount on a new board? That's pretty awesome -- how many other companies in any industry will honor a warranty claim from someone other than the original purchaser? Thumbs up to Frank for standing behind his products.

before this gets out of hand....

I believe Eardragger's intention was, that he is thinking of buying a new Virus, and likes the warranty that is being offered on the NEW board..

I also don't believe there was any offer to honor a warranty claim on the old board.

Frank vs. Bruce?!?!!?!?! I thought these two got along?

gotta love the internet sometimes.

Looking forward to riding the offering from both of these guys out in Aspen!

Long live the SES:)

I never considered he was upset with Virus or implying the construction was poor quality either.

"I destroyed the Team Tantalus 175!! It happened during normal carving. No crashes, no improper setup, bindings were tight, No user mistakes. I do ride pretty hard but it should not matter!!"

I dunno, I read that as upset and implying poor construction.

"I destroyed the Team Tantalus 175!! It happened during normal carving. No crashes, no improper setup, bindings were tight, No user mistakes. I do ride pretty hard but it should not matter!!"

To me that sounded more like he was proud of the hard riding he was able to deal to the stick.

Written language, especially over the internet, is a tricky thing. :)

+1 ... and it was the reason I was compelled to comment. I've owned many Virus boards and found them to be very well constructed... ditto on Coiler.

And yes... breaks happen... lots of unknown variables possible here

I own both Coiler and Virus (among others), and both of them are absolutely top notch. I am certain that the actual construction techniques or materials used did not contribute to the issue that was reported here. Either manufacturer's boards will eventually give out after hard and long-term use. And both manufacturer's boards are absolutely mind-blowing to ride too! :D

Guys, I broke a Coiler two seasons ago and I consider it a badge of honour. I stuffed it into a bank of fresh, man made snow. It was right under the chairlift and I readily admit I was trying to show off with a big, rooster-spraying surfy turn. Instead, I ate it bad.

I showed it to Bruce and I was especially proud when he told me that was the first time he had seen one of his boards break in that manner. And no, I didn't expect him to cover the cost of my stupidity.

My point - every board breaks given the right (or wrong) conditions. No manufacturer is immune.

"I didn´t know what you did at that time 2003 / 2004( rumours I heard: You worked as a nurse!?)"

such an elegant attack!

seems no one seems to notice anymore...

there is even "lawyers" that think it's right to defend that way....( did not notice any reason why..)

I'm sorry Jack but I would have stand out as a moderator at a point there...

Anyway, few eyebrows raised only, the vibes are cool right..?

N.

But not too upset to put blame on himself, and not too poor to stop him from buying another Virus:

"I doubt it will be replaced. Probably gonna buy a new one but a custom that can handle what I dish out to it!"

Somebody get that man a Sawzall. I want to see the gory details. :)

Just my 5 cents!

After 23 years of building more than 15.000 custommade snowboards, I think we have learned how to build a board. I think I know good enough to use materials and custommade inserts to prevent inserts from pulling out of the woodcore. Or prevent breaking titanal boards from breaking. At that time the most titanal boards broke, ours lasted! why?

The board was from 2003/2004 it was bought used. we built most of the board for riders weigth, so what happens if now a 250 lbs rider uses a board which was made for a 160 lbs rider.

Our most important aim is that the riders have a safe long lasting board with excellent riding qualities. We use the most exotic materials,which are higly expensive and then we calculate a price.

I have studied mechanical engineering with chemical and composite construction. I worked in different ski and snowboard companies and did engineering and scientifical research in one of the biggest high tech fiber manufaturers worldwide.

So why should I need help from anybody?

Fact is in some circumstances a board can break, a bail of a binding can break and also a baseplate of a binding can break!

The dynamic loads kill the material and sometimes unexperienced riders!

So Mister Varsava, please excuse my sarcasm! But its not your turn to comment others in any way!

Built your boards in your way and let the customers choose!

"I didn´t know what you did at that time 2003 / 2004( rumours I heard: You worked as a nurse!?)"

such an elegant attack!

seems no one seems to notice anymore...

there is even "lawyers" that think it's right to defend that way....( did not notice any reason why..)

I'm sorry Jack but I would have stand out as a moderator at a point there...

Anyway, few eyebrows raised only, the vibes are cool right..?

N.

As long as as I´m banned from your homepage, stay there with all your friends and fans and please keep concentrated on your new superduper brandnew hyper innovative "DUAL" supercarvingpowderextremcarveboard! :biggthump

The whole world waited very long for such an innovative unique product!

Written language, especially over the internet, is a tricky thing. :)

Written language is a very tricky thing. We all take for granted the different tones of voice we can adopt but forget that how it sounds in our head when we write it might not be how it comes out at the other end when someone else reads it. Especially with different cultures and their different expectations of their use of the English language.

Cyrus, I'm a marketing consultant and work with companies to manage and influence their online sentiment. Here is an excerpt from one of my seminars. I don't presume to give you advice. I'm just throwing this out there for your consideration.

1) Address the issue, not the person.

2) Ask for clarification from the original poster.

3) Respect the person's right to have an opinion.

4) Don't engage in a tit-for-tat exchange with negative posters.

5) Avoid emotional language.

6) Remember the Internet is Forever.

Cyrus, I'm a marketing consultant and work with companies to manage and influence their online sentiment. Here is an excerpt from one of my seminars. I don't presume to give you advice. I'm just throwing this out there for your consideration.

1) Address the issue, not the person.

2) Ask for clarification from the original poster.

3) Respect the person's right to have an opinion.

4) Don't engage in a tit-for-tat exchange with negative posters.

5) Avoid emotional language.

6) Remember the Internet is Forever.

Thank you, I will try to respect for the future!:biggthump

Thank you, I will try to respect for the future!:biggthump

My pleasure. The final thing I should have said is that you don't have to respond at all. Sometimes the best course of action is to reply to the poster via private message. Deal with the issue directly and then he posts back on the forum about what great customer service you offered and calls himself out for not treating the product correctly.

Glad to have you posting on BOL and really glad that you are building a superb product. I just wish I could sell more seminars so I could afford a Virus.

So Mister Varsava, please excuse my sarcasm! But its not your turn to comment others in any way!

Well IMO it is my turn to comment as the owner asked for an opinion and I do have more experience than most who have never even seen the inside of a snowboard. So far he has looked and it appears not to be an insert issue but then states you mentioned it was probably started by a crack from a previous owner? I would think that a crack would cause a fracture in that immediate area and not allow a big piece of the top to peel off. To me that would appear to now be a bonding issue.

Just my 2.5 cents as I have been building boards for only half as long as you.

@Felix,

flame wars doesnt really help in this case, you should know this as moderator.

Instead i suggest the guy with the broken board is calling Virus to discuss the issue and i am sure they will find a solution.

I highly recommend to close this threat and enjoy snowboarding instead - so lets get out on the slopes and calm down

Thanks

THomas

Well guy broke 7 years old USED board. Mr. Varsava probably had to jump to conversation maybe just to say something from experience with his own boards. Maybe Ear dragger can exchange the broken Tantalus for something new. You know what I mean. Schutbby and hungry need some life. I have not ridden anything so boring for long time.:sleep:

To want to be French censor. How to make a new board? Take some 15 years dead bird paint it red and you have 3rd generation.:eplus2:

what thin skin you all have, remember what is intended to be said looses everything when it's typed on a computer. take a breath,what are you going to do when you meet face to face?? have a modern day throw-down?? :boxing_sm

bottom line is everything fails some time or another, even us!!!!!!!

It has been very entertaining though!!!! so if you want to keep attacking each other by all meen's keep it up.

As Mr. Karvlow just said "what is intended to be said looses everything when it's typed on a computer" is what I believe happened here and now it has taken on a life of it's own. And not in the best of ways. If we could stop the personal references and finger pointing and stick to the topic at hand, that would be good for this thread. Hate to close this one down.

And don't forget, the starter of a thread can delete the thread at any time. So if it does disappear, it is not always the Mods.