Note to New Members ×

UPZ spring adjustment

scrutton

Does the spring mechanism on the back adjust, and if so is any special tool needed to do this?

I've got my boots in my hands, notice a small lower spring and a larger upper spring...

The small one is what you push against when you lean back in the boots and the large spring is what you compress when you lean forward, the adjustment nuts allow you to control the tension of the individual spring, when you're in walk mode the springs are disengaged.

Right, you could adjust them with a spanner wrench, or you could just use a lever ala butter knife..

The adjustment may seem moot but it all adds up.

I don't know where you got your boots but

http://www.upzboots.com/ is Dan Yoja, and he has replacement buckles, the third one, right where the boot flexes is going to break so get some extras. If whom ever you bought the boots from has parts great...

I've got my boots in my hands, notice a small lower spring and a larger upper spring...

The small one is what you push against when you lean back in the boots and the large spring is what you compress when you lean forward, the adjustment nuts allow you to control the tension of the individual spring, when you're in walk mode the springs are disengaged.

Right, you could adjust them with a spanner wrench, or you could just use a lever ala butter knife..

The adjustment may seem moot but it all adds up.

I don't know where you got your boots but

http://www.upzboots.com/ is Dan Yoja, and he has replacement buckles, the third one, right where the boot flexes is going to break so get some extras. If whom ever you bought the boots from has parts great...

Hardbooters got buckles...

the red plastic gets brittle with age check it often.

• 2 weeks later...

From what I can tell... there is very little boot cuff travel before the spring is completely compressed and boot's cuff flex characteristics becomes the predominant factor. And so... there is some spring controlled softness at the onset of a large flex, but not as much as one might think. Perhaps this is why the BTS springs are so long... more range of travel before the springs fully compress and become rock-solid. I'd like to compare the spring rate of my UPZ springs to the BTS springs. It looks like my UPZ springs could be much stiffer than BTS

I think that maybe a tiny C spanner is the tool to have. http://www.bitzforbikes.co.uk/photo/164500.JPG

The area around each "nut" is very constricted and does not allow the use of this type of tool. I use the wide screwdriver on my swiss army knife (standard "what do you bring with you"). A butter knife would work too, but it is very rare that I have one on the hill.

From what I can tell... there is very little boot cuff travel before the spring is completely compressed and boot's cuff flex characteristics becomes the predominant factor. And so... there is some spring controlled softness at the onset of a large flex, but not as much as one might think. Perhaps this is why the BTS springs are so long... more range of travel before the springs fully compress and become rock-solid. I'd like to compare the spring rate of my UPZ springs to the BTS springs. It looks like my UPZ springs could be much stiffer than BTS

These were my thoughts about the springs initially-however, if you adjust your forward lean such that the springs are in their uncompressed/neutral state in the position that your rear knee would normally be while actively carving, I do not find this to be the case. Adjust the boots this way and the length of the springs (seems) adequate for pretty much the full range of motion you would need while carving. At least, so it would seem from my carpet-carving tests so far at home ... maybe I won't see it the same way when I (finally) hit the snow this weekend.

check the adjustment before the season starts

last year - first day on those boots - I was halfway down the mountain and noticed tat my rear boot wouldn't flex - The nut had fallen off the end of the bolt and gotten wedged in the channel there - took me a good 20 minutes to get it working again. Check your gear!

The area around each "nut" is very constricted and does not allow the use of this type of tool. I use the wide screwdriver on my swiss army knife (standard "what do you bring with you"). A butter knife would work too, but it is very rare that I have one on the hill.

hi BJVIRCKS

the burton hardboot tool (out of production for about 8 years) is specifically made for this purpose.

the screwdriver part of the tool had a narrower spindle than the head so the spindle would not rub against the super tight opening in the boot through which you adjusted the spring. i'm in the city right now and left the tool out in the valley so i will try to post up a picture of the tool in a few weeks unless someone else has one and can do it for me. BORIS actually used this tool to adjust Steve D.'s boot so maybe he could suggest a good alternative since he seems to know more about tools than TIM ALLEN.

Just waxed the intec cables(lithium grease on bicycle cables, to much h2o here, trying hard wax) and adjusted the springs, the top slot looks to be 3cm deep and 1cm wide, the bottom 2cm deep and 1cm wide so most any thin screwdriver(1cm) will fit right in and turn the nut.

Going into their third season, grey tongues, Conformable liners, sure-foot foot beds, middle buckle on the rear foot went twice.

Had the bottoms tight and the tops a little looser, loosened the bottoms and tightened the tops a touch(springs), going riding tomorrow:1luvu:

• 2 months later...

A dime works very well for the upper. VERY well, like it was designed to be used that way with the deep engagement and the easy-to-turn nut.

I used needle-nose pliers on a leatherman tool to adjust the lower nut. Not what I'd normally like but they work well and no one can see the scratched nut anyway.