Note to New Members ×

Heard in the lift line - 09-10 Edition

nekdut

At this point he stopped talking to me. I'm actually kind of happy about this because it was beginning to feel like one of those "but this one goes to eleven" conversations.

Oh, you have given me an idea.

Next time someone asks me what I'm riding, I'll tell them:

It's like a snowboard.... <blink>but this one goes to eleven</blink>.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I pulled a classic "FACEPLANT" by catching my edge this weekend working myt way thru the crowd in a transition area, a skier dad and boarder son stopped and asked me some questions.

I explained yes that it was indeed a snowboard and asked if they watched any olympic events or racing.

Their reply was "which olympics?"

I blinked, stared at them and said "obviously not Summer".

The dad didnt get it, but the kid with the runny nose laughed.

I then had to proceed to tell him Slalom, or GS in the WINTER OLYMPICS.

They then said they would watch and look for it as how I was riding was unlike anything they had ever seen before and asked if it was "something new"....

:biggthump yeahhhhhhhhhhhh ....... wow, just wow. Oy Vey.

The most common ??? I get in the lift line; "what is that"

me:rolleyes:; a snowboard

them:confused:; why do you use skiboots

me:cool:; they're snowboard boots

them;:eek:

Depending on the brevity(which we have in abundance) of the que I proceed to demonstrate stepin convenience and explain that plastic boots give me more edge control and are far more durability. While handing them a bomber card I ask if they know anyone who's laces & straps are still good after 12 years of hard use?

Its actually ashame that snowboarding has gone sooo far to this street/skate style that it has today. I mean there is nothing wrong with that...we used to hit rails in college on the streets, but its just so big now. There are so many aspects of snowboarding that are out of the spotlight now...even big mountain riding seams to get very little coverage! I remember starting out snowboarding the videos and magazines would always have a little bit of carvers in it. And even though i wasnt into that aspect of the sport it was always something that was interesting to me and i had some knowledge of it. now it cant been seen in any mags i pick up in stores today. The major board manufacturers dont seem to be pushing it at all either. btw...im new to alpine, but what ever happened to assymetrical board shapes. I remember those being somewhat normal to be seen on alpine boards.

What ever happened to assymetrical board shapes. I remember those being somewhat normal to be seen on alpine boards.

Asymmetrical shapes have fallen out of favor over the years, though Virus has put together an asym racing deck that (it seems) some people had good things to say about:

http://shop.virus-snowsports.com/de/shop/produkt/competition-serie/3-d-asymetrical-evolution.htm

The Man With No Name trilogy the last few days so,naturally, I'm feelin a little Clint Eastwood cool in my hard boots yesterday,leavin the buckles open as I walk so they clank like spurs....So I walk out from the deck and grab my longboard and the balcony above gets all quiet.As I walk away with my trusty steed I hear whispers of "what the hell is that thing?" and 'Have you seen him ride it?"

I'm sorry, but it felt great and I live for that crap.It also made me realize further that what we do is actually pretty cool.

Alright, here's what you gotta do... You need to hook up a fishing line to your board and you can leave it uphill a little bit. Then you'll be sitting there outside, below the deck, just give a whistle and then give the fishingline a tug. The board will start coming right for you, where you can "mount up".

Lifty: "Gosh I love watching you carve! You're so graceful, it's like ballet"

I've never considered myself a ballerina, but I guess I'll take it as a compliment :lol:

LOL... I got that too @ Aspen. The skier I was riding around with wanted to tried hardboot now. The exact phrase is "It's so graceful; looked like you are dancing"

Guess my riding is finally improving :)

The Man With No Name trilogy the last few days so,naturally, I'm feelin a little Clint Eastwood cool in my hard boots yesterday,leavin the buckles open as I walk so they clank like spurs....So I walk out from the deck and grab my longboard and the balcony above gets all quiet.As I walk away with my trusty steed I hear whispers of "what the hell is that thing?" and 'Have you seen him ride it?"

I'm sorry, but it felt great and I live for that crap.It also made me realize further that what we do is actually pretty cool.

TOO COOL!

Hockey2

You had your pants on........ right?????

My latest

"That's one of those "real" carving boards boards isn't it?"

Chubz- "Yes"

Favorite of all time

"Wanna Race?"

2nd Favorite

When a liftie at his loading position said "Boy that things rips" and our lifties do not ride or ski and the slope I just came down was at least 1/2 mile away.

Turns were made on run at top blue center arrow and lift is at bottom of same photo directly under arrow to the right of the tubing park.

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=24646