Note to New Members ×

Gauging the Revolution

scrapster

With the inception of metal carving boards, what will you do with your glass boards?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. With the inception of metal carving boards, what will you do with your glass boards?

• Don't have a metal board, so glass is it!
    • I own metal but will still use glass regularly and enjoy it.
    • Active retirement -- rock board, powder or loaner duty calls!
    • Am selling them off or using them as decoration, furniture or collectibles.
    • I'm cutting edge and only own metal.

Hmmm, some interesting early returns.

I posted this poll based on another BOL contributor's comment that a number of previously desirable glass boards have been sitting in the classified section for some time.That may be the economy, the change in technology, or something else--but I had noticed it too.

It made me wonder if we will eventually see a slew of glass boards go up for sale, prices drop, etc. as more people switch to metal? Also, when might the first generation of metals start showing up for sale, second hand, in significant numbers? Big changes are going on! Or are they?

Anyway, our market is so small and unique, it just sounded like a fun exercise. Thanks for joining in!

Bruce is cooking up a 168 VSR FC for me and it will take over carving duties from my Madd 170. I haven't decided what to do with the Madd yet since it's still in awesome condition. It's certainly above rock board status and can be put to better use by someone else and I can use the extra money too. Decisions, decisions :freak3:

I've got a Coiler Monster coming my way in a few weeks and a Madd 170 metal (though the Madd is a very different construction). My other boards are fiberglass. I'll ride them until they're not fun or I find metal replacements.

I've sold off a couple of boards this season, not because they're glass but because I didn't like them as much as other boards in the quiver.

As far as I'm concerned the first generation of metal ended with the introduction of KST boards. The initial metal boards seemed to be normal designs sprued up with titanal and carbon, and it's now in a stage where the boards stopped breaking and the camber/rocker/shape development is at the forefront. Just food for thought..

As far as I'm concerned the first generation of metal ended with the introduction of KST boards. The initial metal boards seemed to be normal designs sprued up with titanal and carbon, and it's now in a stage where the boards stopped breaking and the camber/rocker/shape development is at the forefront. Just food for thought..

yeah, IMO we're seeing a shape transistion like we did in the early 90s

Metal is a good ingredient, one of many factors that contribute.

Plates, Snow Stix, Splits, Hangli, Shapes, Core Profiles. Vist, etc,etc.

The magic comes in the combination and matching of the conditions and rider.

Price of boards? I think it has more to do with the Economy.

Keep the 200-300$ high end boards coming. Ideal way to provide for new riders and old alike. More important? Get out and ride every chance you get.

Nothing like miles and vertical feet to reach the FineLineClub.

Bruce is cooking up a 168 VSR FC for me and it will take over carving duties from my Madd 170. I haven't decided what to do with the Madd yet since it's still in awesome condition. It's certainly above rock board status and can be put to better use by someone else and I can use the extra money too. Decisions, decisions :freak3:

Let me try that stick! :biggthump

what's the weight range?

• 1 month later...

Ok, so I am the proud new owner of this Madd 170 via big canuck. I have to know what the original owner was thinking when "the Cornholer" was put on this board? Anybody willing to stand up and admit to its origin and what it means, so when I get asked in the liftline I can have a reasonable answer......

A lot of the boards that were initially ordered without a custom name were just named from a large list that Shred originally provided. During the first run, Madd insisted that we provide a name, and if someone didn't, it would come from that list, which I believe included "The Cornholer".

Either way, its an awesome board and you'll have a great time on it. Throw a Bomber sticker on the back if the name doesn't work so well for you. :)