Note to New Members ×

Binding setup for Burton Pj

Nooboarder

If I am in the wrong thread, sorry!

Ok, so my only carve board is a burton Pj 6three goofy with burton bindings.

My dilemma is that I have no idea if the bindings are even set up correctly so I haven't even bothered to mess with my stance, etc.

Any help in the initial setup would be great...

Thanks

post-8379-141842289129_thumb.jpg

post-8379-141842289131_thumb.jpg

post-8379-141842289131_thumb.jpg

Noschoolrider already answered your question, but I just posted the "original" setups in another thread. So maybe you are interested.

Jean Nerva front 51° back 43° width 45cm (17.7")

Peter Bauer front 48° back 43° width 43cm (17")

Dieter Happ front 51° back 45° width 45cm

Martin Freinademetz front 51° back 48° width 43cm

So if you want to go really oldschool then you have to use such a stance :D. All the numbers are original setups from the 1992/93 season.

Personally I would go for a wider stance. I think the angles are perfect for such a wide board.

The real problem is unless you're under 5'0", the inserts on that board are way too narrow for any kind of reasonable stance, given modern techniques. If you have no choice, just adjust the bindings to the lowest possible angle with no overhang, and ride it.

A better suggestion, if you're looking to progress in your riding and have the means, is hang that board on a wall or sell it to a collector and get something from the current decade.

Bring on the flames:angryfire

A better suggestion, if you're looking to progress in your riding and have the means, is hang that board on a wall or sell it to a collector and get something from the current decade.

Bring on the flames:angryfire

Nothing wrong with that statement, but...

If you know what you’re doing, it can be <b>fun</b> to take an iconic classic for a ride...

post-2379-141842289519_thumb.jpg

How can you guys talk about how you used to ride asyms back in the day and then tell this guy that he can't progress as a rider if he rides it? You guys rode them and you all turned out ok :). He's already got the board, might as well get some bindings and catch the carving bug before he drops any more cash.

How can you guys talk about how you used to ride asyms back in the day and then tell this guy that he can't progress as a rider if he rides it? You guys rode them and you all turned out ok :). He's already got the board, might as well get some bindings and catch the carving bug before he drops any more cash.

He can ride whatever he wants. All I know is that knees together in a 17" stance is not that much fun. Sure, it worked fine in the '80s, but so did rat traps, koflachs, and neon...and ski gates - You wouldn't want to run a GS course with ski gates, would you?

The real problem is unless you're under 5'0", the inserts on that board are way too narrow for any kind of reasonable stance, given modern techniques.

Just measured mine - it hangs right above the computer: The centers of the outermost inserts are about 18.75". With binding ofset you can get to 19.25" stance. That's not too bad...

like clockwork. :rolleyes:

However, I also believe the most important thing is to get out and go snowboarding as much as possible without developing/reinforcing bad habits no matter what you ride.

Quoted for truth. The new stuff is DEFINITELY better, but I'd rather ride a 93 PJ than wait until I saved up enough money for something newer.

like clockwork. :rolleyes:

Yeah it get it, every thread has someone spewing the "ride what you got" crap. But there's a reason, if you're new to the sport and you check this site, the greatest carving resource online, it's easy to get the idea that you'll never be a good hardbooter if you're riding dated gear. I know asyms are dated and he obviously would be better served on the slopes with a shiny modern board. But the point I'm making is that the OP started this thread to get advice on how to set up the board he's got, not how to buy a better one, and the answer is obviously to just get some safer bindings and feel it out on that. It's fine to let him know that he'll need to upgrade eventually because that's the truth, but it's a bad idea to tell him flat out he needs a bunch of new gear.

I want more guys my age on the hill to ride alpine with, and if people find this site and think they gotta drop >1k on gear they're just gonna keep on softbooting. I've seen it happen to everyone I steer in BOL's direction and it's frustrating.

He can ride whatever he wants. All I know is that knees together in a 17" stance is not that much fun. Sure, it worked fine in the '80s, but so did rat traps, koflachs, and neon...and ski gates - You wouldn't want to run a GS course with ski gates, would you?

Actually tex I loved to put on the armor and just run over sh!t. Some of my best results were in slalom with the full gates. :rolleyes:

Ride what you brung. More important to get started than to stand, immobilized under the headlights glare of "what if there is something else I should be on."

Plan towards that. Start. Ride.

Yeah it get it, every thread has someone spewing the "ride what you got" crap. But there's a reason, if you're new to the sport and you check this site, the greatest carving resource online, it's easy to get the idea that you'll never be a good hardbooter if you're riding dated gear. I know asyms are dated and he obviously would be better served on the slopes with a shiny modern board. But the point I'm making is that the OP started this thread to get advice on how to set up the board he's got, not how to buy a better one, and the answer is obviously to just get some safer bindings and feel it out on that. It's fine to let him know that he'll need to upgrade eventually because that's the truth, but it's a bad idea to tell him flat out he needs a bunch of new gear.

I want more guys my age on the hill to ride alpine with, and if people find this site and think they gotta drop >1k on gear they're just gonna keep on softbooting. I've seen it happen to everyone I steer in BOL's direction and it's frustrating.

A twelve second glance at the classifieds turned up this:

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=26507

If he can't afford $150 (price of 2 or 3 lift tickets) for a decent used mostly-modern board, he is going to have a hard time being able to afford to use even a free board.

I get the impression the OP already knows how to snowboard, and that now he wants to learn how to ride alpine gear. He'd be better off on a newer cheap sym. It will feel more like what he's used to on his freeride board, assuming he has learned how to carve that first (which he should!).

If he can't afford $150 (price of 2 or 3 lift tickets) for a decent used semi-modern board, he is going to have a hard time being able to afford to use even a free board.

Not necesserily correct... When I started with alpine, I just had started my own company, no contracts, no real income to speak of. However, I worked as volonteer kids instructor and had free pass - I was at the hill at least 3 times a week.

$150 is 50%, or more, of the annual pass in some areas.

I've been riding my PJ 5six (regular, great condition, rat-traps 50°-50°) up to last December.

Tried the Volkl RT SL at a demo and got hammered by what I was missing out on...

Found a Hot Shine with one season use for 95$ at a used ski shop (the only alpine board there.)

Anyway's, my leg are in better shape this year, so if I was inclined for some retro, it wouldn't be as painfull to lay out some descent trenches. Now that I think about it, my Olympic's have the old combo plates on them ;o)

Anyone else feeling like doing a retro day near Montreal?

oh, need someone to help out with organizing South Quebec Session next February, Dave is gonna be too busy.

A twelve second glance at the classifieds turned up this:

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=26507

If he can't afford $150 (price of 2 or 3 lift tickets) for a decent used mostly-modern board, he is going to have a hard time being able to afford to use even a free board.

I get the impression the OP already knows how to snowboard, and that now he wants to learn how to ride alpine gear. He'd be better off on a newer cheap sym. It will feel more like what he's used to on his freeride board, assuming he has learned how to carve that first (which he should!).

Point taken. I got a little feisty when I saw you completely disparaged my first post. But I still feel my opinion is valid and there can sometimes be a little too much gear elitism. But I'm gonna shut up about it before I make myself look any more sheepish. :D

To the OP: Your asym is sick, ride it! But when you really wanna lay it out on the slopes find a sick board like that Oxygen Jack pointed out. $150 is a rockin' deal!

WOW!!

I appreciate the discussion going on here, and I ABSOLUTELY recognize the need for a new setup.

That being said, though, I have learned a lot on the Burton especially since the board I first learned on was this:

post-8379-141842289583_thumb.jpg

post-8379-141842289584_thumb.jpg

I actually had some guys back in the 90s singing the theme to the love boat in the lift line when they saw it.

It will adorn my wall when I finish the basement.

Yes, I do get some lift passes for free (school alpine club) and I am hoping to squeeze 1 more year out of this puppy. I have ridden it hard but only have opportunity for ~10 times out per season (3 little kids at home), so I would like to get the most out of it this season, then pick up a newer board.

Thanks to all for the stance angles etc, as my background is in ski racing and I never softbooted. Looking forward to tinkering around.

I nearly killed and brand new demo Prior 4WD, got spooked when it flexed beyond design.

New boards do NOT behave the same way as the old race boards.

You don't need to pressure the nose to engage a carve, some of them just leaning is enough!

you have to re-learn how to board ;o)

I was used to the stomp-in the nose, balance the carve, tail snap-spring to the other edge, a friggin workout, but I just loved snaping the tail and getting some air between the carves.

Point taken. I got a little feisty when I saw you completely disparaged my first post. But I still feel my opinion is valid and there can sometimes be a little too much gear elitism. But I'm gonna shut up about it before I make myself look any more sheepish.

There is some gear elitism here, but I think it's really only directed at people who should be riding top shelf gear but for some reason they're not. I can see how this would come across the wrong way, and would look like we think <i>everyone</i> should be riding top shelf gear. We don't.

I also disagree that the OP should spend any time riding this relic. People loved skiing on the Rossignol 4S and they sold millions of them. Does that mean anyone should try to learn skiing on them now?

Seriously people...just answer the question posed and leave the commentary out of it.

Someone complained about his bindings saying he should get new ones. Why? They obviously are not broke and continue to work for him so why spend money on a new set of bindings when he is apparently happy with what he's got. If it ain't broke, why fix it?

No you do not need a new set up unless you are unhappy with what you got! New does not always mean better and just because someone likes something new does not mean it will be right for you. IMO if you are happy and enjoy the performance of what you are riding than save your money and spend it on a trip somewhere and enjoy the experience or invest it and be responsible.

My gear is nearly 10 years old and I love every minute I am on it. There may be better stuff out there but I leave the hill happy with what I have. Don't chase the dragon thinking if you just have this new piece of equipment you will find that high you are looking for. Instead, work on your technique, find the right angles for you, perfect your cant, etc... Most people think they need something new but never found how to ride what they had properly in the first place.

Seriously people...just answer the question posed and leave the commentary out of it.

Someone complained about his bindings saying he should get new ones. Why? They obviously are not broke and continue to work for him so why spend money on a new set of bindings when he is apparently happy with what he's got. If it ain't broke, why fix it?

because those ***ing bindings will fail, they are dangerous.

even when they were new they hurt people. plastic does not age well on something that was prone to failure in the first place.