Note to New Members ×

Share your best exercises to get ready for the season

Bobby Buggs

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are great.. just make sure that leg stays in line (parrallel to the ground) with your ankle ... knee going forward towards the toes will not do any good to your knees.

I like to use "power lift" dead lift and squats + lundges. You don't need to put a lot of weight but make sure you have the right form.

Don't forget as much the legs are important not to forget core exercises.

and some cardio here and there!

Just Hiked Tremblant with my students today... and going back with another group on thursday. Getting paid to hike, isn't that life !

People were talking a about a month ago about p90x, without doing the whole thing it's very well done and most of the work can be done easely with elastic band. Weights are better but bands can do the job.

I have done the P90x before. It really inflamed my seperated right shoulder with all the push ups so I had to back off. Great program, but not a ton of leg work

One day of Plyo's and one day of legs in a one week cycle may not seem like a ton, but they are pretty intense workouts, and legs are the largest muscle mass so they need the longest time to recover. :barf:

Right now I am using a modified schedule based off of P90X:

1. Bike - 1 hour based on wattage and heart rate, P90X abs,

Pushups/Pullups

2. P90X Plyometrics and then some balance drills (xtreme board, vewdo/bongo board, wobble boards, xerdiscs, bosu, probodx)

3. Bike - 1 hour based on wattage and heart rate

4. P90X Yoga

5. Bike - 1 hour based on wattage and heart rate

6. P90X Legs/Back/Abs and then some balance drills

7. Rest

Bike rides are a 10 min warmup, 45 minutes ride, 5 minute cool down. For now the rides are mainly recovery days and just straight cardio, but planning on building in some 3 - 5 minute tempos with recovery to expand my base as I start getting on the snow and backing off on the plyos and leg work.

Stretching and foam roller after every workout.

not a big fan of the P90x plyo... looks more like a cardio workout to me. I agree with you bobby P90x isn't great for legs. that's why do a modified version of it and don't do their leg work. Yup if you have bad shoulders I can see the problem.

These are my workouts right now that I use

Running 5-10 KM - intervals - fartlek - hills - hike or longer run depeding on the day

P90x bicep and back

P90x chest - tri and shoulder

P90x Core

P90x Yoga

Swimming (weds night)

P90x Abs

Leg work, lundges (variations) / Dead lift or squats and some hamstring work.

I have a weird 2 week cycle that works pretty well for me and my schedule right now

and I've been playing some ultimate frisbee with my students at school

Running, Running

oh and a little bit more Running.

I'm averaging about 15 miles per week.

I've done lunges, leg presses, etc. I've found that running is by far the best exercise to keep me in shape. When I get on the board for my first day of the season, I feel like I'm in the middle of the season already. I dont get winded and my legs are fine.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3qn4RYjwVQ&hl=fr&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3qn4RYjwVQ&hl=fr&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

keeping fit with rowing :)

Varity is key.

We do a lot of stuff based off of "Core Performance". Google it if you don't know.

Also setting up a slack line and spending some time on that is a great way to refine balance, and work all the stabilizer muscles in your legs, hips, and core. Plus it's easy to get into a stance similar to one you would be riding alpine with.

Yoga is good also.

National teams are getting away from pure strength training and favoring funtional training instead.

When I first started track(velodrome racing) the old school was still prevalent but giving way to newer ways of cross training. Heavy and injury risking weight training was the norm but as modern thought entered into a very traditional sport,it became apparent that heavy squats and dead-lifts and cleans weren't the only way to develop speed and power.I paid for my zeal in heavy lifting with a compressed disc and a couple of stress fractures that I now know were completely avoidable.Now that I am getting into triathlon,the more diversified and joint friendly methods of training appear to have paid off.I still run about as fast as a one legged dog though...

Right now I'm running and going to aerobics classes a few times a week and doing some cycling (pendant upon my study schedule :( -- stupid engineering). Over the summer I did a fair amount of yoga and started slacklining as well.

My favorite exercise for the season is to ride my road bike into the mountains and up passes or canyons. :1luvu:

The vast majority of my exercise in the summer comes from my bike commute, which is not terrifically long at seven miles but it involves going over the windy queensboro bridge (or the triboro) and I treat the entire commute as an all-out sprint in both directions ... so, brief but intense. I figure dodging cars and trucks is also good practice for carving in VT on the weekends :-D. I also try to do a sprint around central park on the bike on the weekends since I am not going to work on those days, that ends up being the biggest workout of all because I still have to bike into the park from queens. This year I'm looking to keep it up all winter!

Here's a crappy iphone photo of my bike. The stem looks all big thanks to the battery for my light.

I really want to get into yoga, I think that would help me out a lot. I've also been curious about experimenting with a slack line for quite some time (thanks for reminding me of this Phil). My company just moved to a new building with a very nice gym so I may start doing that too.

post-2204-141842285935_thumb.jpg

I'm reading alot of research that says interval training does more good in less time. That's aerobic to the point of anaerobic ... breathing so hard you almost throwup. I've found this to be true. Climbing Stillwater Pass on my bike doesn't take long but I'm standing up and heaving the whole way. That creates better results than biking for hours.

Also loving Woodward at Copper ladies night (half off on Thurs). I've loved trampolines since I was a wee one.

My summer training regimen used to consist of sports like alpine mountain climbing, and road biking.

Last year when I turned 45, I decided to start doing yoga as well, in order to try and compensate for the damage done to my joints and muscles over the years. My yogi wife and daughter get plenty of laughs out of the moans and pops that I have due to my pitiful lack of flexibility.

This year I have started to do shotokan karate again, after a 25 year hiatus- my 9 year old daughter wanted to learn it, and she needed a sparring partner... the routines and forms are doing quite a number on my glutes and core and legs. I think it's really going to help my riding.

Of course, now I'm stashing Ibuprofen in every available pocket and bag that I can find- like Indiana Jones once said, "It's not the years kid, it's the mileage".