Note to New Members ×

first there was a summerstick and then

carvingchef

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shlong... Woody... Shloody!

Didn't take the pics when completed, but after few rides, so it's already a bit beat-up :(

It started as a park board blank, a bit of cutting, varnish and re-drilling = slalom board.

The nose is perfect natural wedging for the Bennett 4.3. Randal 125/35 at the back had to be de-wedged a lot to cancel the tail and then some. Concave and tail are just nice. However, the deck is a bit to narrow and on soft-twisty side...

Got the new bolts to replace the oversized ones.

post-1678-141842318885_thumb.jpg

post-1678-141842318888_thumb.jpg

post-1678-141842318892_thumb.jpg

As per Julian's wish ;), Woody has new trucks/wheels:

Bennett 5.0 / Seismic 130/30, Lemon/Lime Zig-Zags.

It pumps like crazy with this setup!

Big-Zigs live on Vampie now and feel great.

I love how you mix-and-matched lengths from your plethora of screws.

It started its' life as a cheap longboard complete from London Drugs...

We've cut the nose shorter and more Sl shaped and re-drilled the mounting holes.

Front truck we repalced with a Bennett 5.0, rear one (Tracker 129 knock-off) remained, but on a changed base. Wheels we replaced with some sweet Grippins 78/84. Wheel bases: 18.0, 19.25, 20.5, 21.75 + bonus one for park riding 15.5.

Pics before and after the "operation":

post-1678-141842318898_thumb.jpg

post-1678-1418423189_thumb.jpg

post-1678-141842318901_thumb.jpg

HOLYCAMBERBATMAN.jpg

CAMBERcopy.jpg

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CAndrea%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:.5in 1.25in .5in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026"/> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapelayout v:ext="edit"> <o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1"/> </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--> It’s not a typo you read correctly “METAL MONSTER”

"Why metal" you may ask, "why not" I may reply and because nobody told me I shouldn’t or couldn’t and let's not forget the cool factor

Metal construction for a smooth and dump ride, it absorbs the vibrations you normally get from riding on uneven asphalt and rough pavement, it doesn’t make your legs as tired so you can ride all day long or at least longer than normal

Who am I kidding? it’s totally about the cool factor

Here is a list of the material starting from the bottom layer, ¼ inch Baltic birch, fiberglass, aluminum sheet, fiberglass, ¼ inch Baltic birch, paint, grip tape

Total length 48” wheelbase 34” camber 1.5” sidecut 15 m.

It’ll be tested this weekend and Julian can write a review if he wants to

METALMONSTER1copy2.jpg

METALMONSTER2copy2.jpg

“METAL MONSTER”

Metal construction for a smooth and dump ride, it absorbs the vibrations you normally get from riding on uneven asphalt and rough pavement, it doesn’t make your legs as tired so you can ride all day long or at least longer than normal

Here is a list of the material starting from the bottom layer, ¼ inch Baltic birch, fiberglass, aluminum sheet, fiberglass, ¼ inch Baltic birch, paint, grip tape

Total length 48” wheelbase 34” camber 1.5” sidecut 15 m.

It’ll be tested this weekend and Julian can write a review if he wants to

WHOAA:eek:!...MONSTER! Andrea, COOL board. How's that ride? Look forward "Arclite" report...

Cheers

RT

Look forward to the performance review.

Somewhere in the far reaches of my cranial archive, I was pretty sure there had been an "Aluma-Flex" board 'way back, maybe marketed by Gordon and Smith Surfboards(?)

Here's an ebay reference

Buy vintage skateboard, Sporting Goods on eBay. Find great deals on Clothing, Shoes Accessories, ... ALUMA-FLEX 160 SKATEBOARD AD 1975 SK635. Buy It Now ...

desc.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_...skateboard%22...skateboard...

Ride on!

BB

• 1 month later...

the "DOUBLE DOUBLE"

DOUBLEDOUBLEcopy3.jpg

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> what is different about this board (except the obvious 8 wheels) is the truck mount, it's not a drop through and it's not your typical top mount but it makes the deck drop lower so i call it the "drop top mount" you can see in the next few pics how the system work, it should be self explanatory, however, the middle section is 1/4 inch thick but it could be 1/2 inch or you can stack 1/2 inch plus 1/4 inch, basically the thicker the middle section between the deck and the mount, the lower your ride will be as long as there is enough clearance for the axle to move freely, besides having options on your ride height you can mount any truck you want to on the "drop top mount" even those trucks not designed for a drop through deck like original or seismic, not sure what else is out there that doesn't work on a conventional drop through, i know in the near future i will make a carving deck with this mount and original trucks

the extra weight is really not that much, the double double is much heavier but that's because of the double trucks and the double wheels

comments welcome

DSC_5502copy.jpg

DSC_5500copy.jpg

DSC_5519copy.jpg

Remove one set of trucks place two wheels on one beam on each side of the axle, you now have the same effect as an apex plate on a snowboard in that you are going to bennifit from having two wheels on each side fallowing the same path but out of phase as they roll over obstacles thereby smoothing your ride:biggthump:biggthump. Guaranteed to decrease the bumps you feel by half. If you don't understand my explaination look at the way a tandem truck or trailer has it's axles arranged.

Andrea,

As much as I admire your work, I wonder why you keep on doing this detail on many of your boards? If I remember correctly, one of Julian's broke right at that point. Reducing the material at the point of highest stress is always bad news... It should rather look as what I sketched on the other side.

Another note, the 4 trucks configurration can work properly only if there is 0 flex to the deck. Otherwise, the farther set lifts of the ground. Then in a turn, they would contact again, but grip less then the inner ones. Lowrider's idea solves this issue.

post-1678-141842321962_thumb.jpg

Largest radii possible to clear wheel travel. If you really want to solve you material weakness where you narrow it laminate your own plywood with fiberglass cloth between layers and use epoxy not poyester. about 3 layers should give a pretty firm deck. Thats how i tune the flex on my snowboard plates as i construct them.

Andrea,

As much as I admire your work, I wonder why you keep on doing this detail on many of your boards? If I remember correctly, one of Julian's broke right at that point. Reducing the material at the point of highest stress is always bad news... It should rather look as what I sketched on the other side.

Another note, the 4 trucks configurration can work properly only if there is 0 flex to the deck. Otherwise, the farther set lifts of the ground. Then in a turn, they would contact again, but grip less then the inner ones. Lowrider's idea solves this issue.

Largest radii possible to clear wheel travel. If you really want to solve you material weakness where you narrow it laminate your own plywood with fiberglass cloth between layers and use epoxy not poyester. about 3 layers should give a pretty firm deck. Thats how i tune the flex on my snowboard plates as i construct them.

Well, exactly.

The dervish broke because it was an experimental thing.

We were using 2/3 (1/2" instead of 3/4") the amount of wood we normally did.

Now we use fiberglass to reinforce our boards

The Double-Double, is 3/4" thick, not including the mounting stuff.

It's rock solid.

Hi Boris, that little detail as you call it it's mostly to avoid wheel bite, wheel clearance changes with different configurations of trucks and wheels, when i made the double double i was measuring the wheel clearance with avila 75 mm. that's why i did that, with the freeride you don't need as much clearance, not so much for the 3mm. difference in diameter but because the avila have a bigger offset so the inside of the wheels is much closer to the center than any other wheels i have, i put freeride on that deck because it's the only wheel that we have 2 sets of between me and my son

the board that broke last year was only 1/2 inch thick and narrower than this one at that particular point, this one is 3/4 inch, it's very stiff and it shouldn't brake, as you know i started laminating this year and so far no sign of structural failure but i still have some 3/4 inch plywood hanging around for some crazy project like the last one, the 8 wheels was mostly for $hits and giggles, that deck will probably be ridden with 2 trucks for the most part but i really wanted to experiment with a mount that would allow me to use original trucks and not be so high off the ground and this should work

it wasn't my goal or intention to try to absorb the bumps or have a smooth ride and i think lowrider was talking about something like this

TXROLLINGTHUN80g.jpg

you can buy that on this site if you have a $ 1000.00 to spare

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> http://www.soulboards.com/product_detail.php?id=TXROLLINGTHUN80

• 2 weeks later...

The original NADD

Not

A

Drop-through

Deck

I like how a drop-through deck rides but I hate having to remove the hangers in order to mount the trucks, those are an extra 5 minutes that I could spend doing nothing, call me lazy if you want, I got it from my son

so what we have here is "Not A Drop-through Deck" but more like a slide-through mount, that’s right, you just slide the trucks in the middle (you can have the wheels already on the trucks and it still works) line it up with the holes, add screws and nuts and you are ready to ride, of course it doesn’t work with every single truck make and model but this will work with Indy and Paris, the cutout on this board was made for Indy or Paris and Freeride wheels, slightly bigger wheels might work with the Indy but not the Paris

This is a replacement for Julian’s DLH that broke last year, similar specs 32” wheel base 9.5” wide but unlike the DLH that was a copy of the loaded dervish this was an original design, hence the name original NADD

originalNADDcopy3.jpg

DSC_5582copy.jpg