Note to New Members ×

first there was a summerstick and then

carvingchef

KC - nice choice if you go with 73mm Speedvents. I have some in 80a. They're super sticky and have plenty of rebound. I don't think i've gotten them to slide or drift at all yet. Then again, i'm not trying, nor am i any good at sliding - although sometimes i could feel my gumballs (sold) drift out on me with some hard carving. Vents accelerated nicely too with the vented core - only con is that they tend to transmit a lot of the road imperfections (not good for my leg).

Albert, no offense, but i don't think ANY board is good for your leg right now. :biggthump

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice work Andrea. Looks like all i really need is a jig saw cutter. I have everything else. Heh, i keep wanting to do all sorts of things - i need to focus on one thing at a time.

KC - nice choice if you go with 73mm Speedvents. I have some in 80a. They're super sticky and have plenty of rebound. I don't think i've gotten them to slide or drift at all yet. Then again, i'm not trying, nor am i any good at sliding - although sometimes i could feel my gumballs (sold) drift out on me with some hard carving. Vents accelerated nicely too with the vented core - only con is that they tend to transmit a lot of the road imperfections (not good for my leg).

Does the core actually do anything?

I'm not surprised they are boundy and harsh riding, there's barely any thane between you and the road!

Does the core actually do anything?

I'm not surprised they are boundy and harsh riding, there's barely any thane between you and the road!

Reduces weight/mass of the wheel which is better for acceleration/decceleration and overall agility of the wheel. Other than that, I don't know of anything else. Avilas have a solid core and weigh half a pound each - that's a lot of rotational mass and intertia to deal with.

Reduces weight/mass of the wheel which is better for acceleration/decceleration and overall agility of the wheel. Other than that, I don't know of anything else. Avilas have a solid core and weigh half a pound each - that's a lot of rotational mass and intertia to deal with.

I've found that solid cores give you less road feedback and more suspension.

Personally, i like that feature more then any other. :biggthump

• 2 weeks later...
Awesome work Andrea :biggthump. Do you use power tools to do this, or is it all done with hard labor and sweat (not that it wouldn't be with power tools, it's just harder without them).
every deck i make starts pretty much with a plain piece of wood

startingplankcopy.jpg

and these are the tools i use, very basic

toolscopy.jpg

here is the tricky part, the deck is already inside the plain piece of wood, all you have to do is shave off the extra wood around it, this is how they start looking after cutting and drilling

cutandholescopy.jpg

and this is what it looks like after filing and sanding

asymbasecopy.jpg

and after that you just need to get creative with stain, paint and grip tape

Theo Asym Special and the Big Daddy should be finished by the end of next week

i posted this last night but somehow it disappeared, something must have happened while bomber was fixing the pictures problem, anyway here it is again

Theo's Asym Special? Which dumbass came up with that idea?
<o></o>

Don’t worry, there is plenty more dumbass ideas on the drawing board and the scary part is that most of the ideas will become reality

<o></o>

Theo’s Asym Special with custom top sheet

Bomber limited edition 1 of 1

Wood construction with titanal paint

Goofy stance and stiff flex for stability at high speed

Total length 42’ wheelbase 28” waist 9” SCR ???

Side edge 90 degree, base edge 45 degree (guessing)

Hardboots not recommended

Use at your own risk

<o></o>

Here is the top

<o></o>theotop.jpg

<o></o>

Here is the base

<o></o>theobase.jpg

<o></o>

And here is a detail

<o></o>detail.jpg

<o></o>

P.S. stay tuned for the “Big Daddy” coming soon

That thing is SICK!!!

:biggthump

I asked for it, jokingly, just to spite you. :p

The 42 foot length with a 28 inch wheelbase leaves me with some concerns.

Looks killer though! My only concern is the white top, it'll git all dirty. Hopefully that titanal paint will smooth out the ride, but the HFP should keep it nice and responsive.

I asked for it, jokingly, just to spite you. :p
careful what you wish for
The 42 foot length with a 28 inch wheelbase leaves me with some concerns.
i thought that longboards were easier to ride than shortboards, anyway, i think in this case stability probably depends on what trucks and wheels you are using
Looks killer though! My only concern is the white top, it'll git all dirty.
the paint is actually silver but it has a few clear coats on top, you should be able to just wipe it with a dump cloth, it's very shiny and reflective when you try to take pictures with a flash

you'll be getting a lot of questions that's for sure :D

wipe it with a dump cloth

I'll hold off on smearing the poor thing.

I went ahead and made my own slalom deck to go with it, I'll hold off on revealing the lamination, but I'll tell you there's a thick sheet of oak involved!

Next you need a skysurf inspired deck!

Regarding my poorly thought out wishes, it really was a joke, but the result is bitchin', hats off to you!

I had to spite Ace. It was a deep rooted thing that went back to when those crazy bananas were on eBay!

the Big Daddy is starting to look good, one more clear coat and then i' ll start playing with the grip tape

DSCF3342copy2.jpg

for size comparison here it is next to a burton addicted 160

DSCF3334copy2.jpg

it's going to have 97mm wheels shown here next to your average 70 mm wheels

WHEELS.jpg

now you know why it's called the Big Daddy

I went ahead and made my own slalom deck to go with it, I'll hold off on revealing the lamination, but I'll tell you there's a thick sheet of oak involved!
pictures please
Next you need a skysurf inspired deck!
nah, i don't skysurf anymore i got bored, the fancy skysurfing boards are made of carbon fiber with a foam core, they need to be light and rigid, there is a surfboard shaper Tom Stanton in hermosa beach (or redondo beach) that makes skysurfing boards, 10 years ago they were going for around $ 600.00 that's why i was making my own out of wood

let me know if you are ever in the LA area

Ahhhhh!!!!

You guys are making me so jealous, I wanna ride....

On the upside, I'm limping around unassisted without crutches now.

Soon, maybe September or October I think i'll be riding.

As for the wheel base on the asym, that's pretty easy to fix. There seems to be more than enough board left for Theo to drill an extra set of holes if needed? Is the drilling pattern for new or old school trucks?

Most of my trucks are new school, but the 35 degree base plate that Randal uses is old school only.

My guess is the deck will ride fine as is!

If it really does feel too squished I'll just drill 2 more holes and scoot the truck up. If it consequently feels too soft, I'll scoot it back!

IMG0085.jpg

How about one of these, Andrea?

Can't imagine the airfoil shape does much with that width, but it looks bitchin!

nah, i don't skysurf anymore i got bored, the fancy skysurfing boards are made of carbon fiber with a foam core, they need to be light and rigid, there is a surfboard shaper Tom Stanton in hermosa beach (or redondo beach) that makes skysurfing boards, 10 years ago they were going for around $ 600.00 that's why i was making my own out of wood

let me know if you are ever in the LA area

Dad, he meant you should make one that looks like a sky surfing board would look like.....not to make a sky surfing board.

Ahhhhh!!!!

You guys are making me so jealous, I wanna ride....

On the upside, I'm limping around unassisted without crutches now.

Soon, maybe September or October I think i'll be riding.

As for the wheel base on the asym, that's pretty easy to fix. There seems to be more than enough board left for Theo to drill an extra set of holes if needed? Is the drilling pattern for new or old school trucks?

Most of my trucks are new school, but the 35 degree base plate that Randal uses is old school only.

Sounds good Albert.

why is that? the 35 plates are only old school?

im pretty sure my 50's are new.

Dad, he meant you should make one that looks like a sky surfing board would look like.....not to make a sky surfing board.

yeah, i know that, skysurfing boards don't have any specific shape that people would recognize, they are usually 10 to 11 inches wide and 50 to 60 inches long (depending on the rider skills and weight) straight with rounded nose and tail, i know a couple of guys that jumped with a snowboard strapped to their feet but it was way too heavy and too flexy to be ridden efficiently and the sidecut didn't help, if anything you want more surface in the middle where your feet are and not on the tip ant tail where the wind is more likely to whip you around

the yellow board you see in the photo is only good for gliding forward not for doing tricks, a few years back every good skysurfer was trying to break the record of long distance traveled while in freefall, i think the guy that holds the record was using a board with a double spoiler on the tail and another double spoiler on the front (though i mihgt be wrong)

My guess is the deck will ride fine as is!

If it really does feel too squished I'll just drill 2 more holes and scoot the truck up. If it consequently feels too soft, I'll scoot it back!

IMG0085.jpg

How about one of these, Andrea?

Can't imagine the airfoil shape does much with that width, but it looks bitchin!

looks like hardboots. :biggthump

yeah, I was skating around on some of those fancy wheels and they do have a feel to them that I'm not sure I like

someone here was saying at high speeds the bering can heat up and cause a wheel to deform or come off and the wheels with a open core prevent this

IDK though, I'd think it would take a really thrashed bering to do that

I think that started with a 'Fish thread showing a DH truck with the melted bits of a wheel on it.

I think it was a major fluke or a joke for several reasons.

1. I think if you were generating enough friction to melt a wheel, you'd notice that particular wheel feeling grabby and slow.

2. I don't recall the details exactly, but I would think (hope) the DH truck would have a floating axle, making a seized or near-seized bearing a significantly smaller problem

3. Most people who ride that fast take good care of their bearings!