Note to New Members ×

first there was a summerstick and then

carvingchef

How are you measuring it?

If you're measuring it from wheel nut to wheel nut, that gives the TRUE wheel base, but isn't what the industry uses to measure the wheel base since the actually wheel base of the board will vary based on the trucks.

Normally wheel base is measured from the inner screw holes. It gives a consistent measurement as to the actual specs of the board. The true wheel base will vary depending on the trucks use - reverse kingpin, normal kingpin, angle of the base plate, angle of risers, etc.

It's mainly a FYI thing and is really minor in the whole scheme of things, at least that's how I see it. Anyway, awesome looking boards. That's a lot of work you've been doing this summer, what is that, board number 5 now? or is that 6?

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How are you measuring it?
axle to axle or nut to nut same thing

i have a general idea of the wheelbase when i start drawing on the wood but i measure it after it's finished with the trucks and wheels on it

If you're measuring it from wheel nut to wheel nut, that gives the TRUE wheel base, but isn't what the industry uses to measure the wheel base since the actually wheel base of the board will vary based on the trucks.

Normally wheel base is measured from the inner screw holes. It gives a consistent measurement as to the actual specs of the board. The true wheel base will vary depending on the trucks use - reverse kingpin, normal kingpin, angle of the base plate, angle of risers, etc.

i can understand why and i agree with it, if you are selling the deck only you need the correct measurement of the deck regardless what trucks might go on it
It's mainly a FYI thing and is really minor in the whole scheme of things, at least that's how I see it. Anyway, awesome looking boards. That's a lot of work you've been doing this summer, what is that, board number 5 now? or is that 6?
actually the twintail is # 7 and Julian's new toy #8 (no clues yet, you have to wait) should be done by the end of next week

actually the twintail is # 7 and Julian's new toy #8 (no clues yet, you have to wait) should be done by the end of next week

I think you'll like it.

Dad, send me the pictures so I can post it when its finished.

I'd like to say some words about it then.

allow me to introduce the SASHIMI

here is the short story

my son likes the look of LOADED boards

LOADED use to make one called the FISH

they replaced that model with the CEVICHE

we copied the design and made the SASHIMI

this one took a little longer because the end of the tail is about half inch higher, the rest is flat

sashimitriplecopy2.jpg

soy sauce not included

another awesome looking one there, Andrea.

I see you put revenge trucks on that one - tortion trucks. They're supposed to be super carvy from what I hear. I've never been on them, but there's another tortion model i've been on, they're really divey and turn quickly. Hope you guys like them - among riders, they're either one of those love em or hate em kinds of trucks.

So, are you going to make a 60inch dancer next? hehe

thanks Albert

I see you put revenge trucks on that one - tortion trucks. They're supposed to be super carvy from what I hear. I've never been on them, but there's another tortion model i've been on, they're really divey and turn quickly. Hope you guys like them - among riders, they're either one of those love em or hate em kinds of trucks.
the board is for julian and he is probably going to put PARIS 150 on it with his orangatan IN HEAT wheels, i didn't want to take pictures of just the deck, i think it looks much better when it's complete and the revenge trucks were not on any board at the moment so i used them for the photo, i personally like them but i'm not an expert at all
good guess, but it's only 55 inches, unless i stretch it to 60

Personally, i dont like them.

but they are left overs from one of our other boards we gave to boris (vampire)

I'm going to save up for some paris 150's and some otang 4prez orange and use those.

I'm loving my new in heats purple.

Slide very nice and smooth.

OH.

And they look cool. :biggthump

Originally i wanted to make the dancer right after the vanguard.

However i decided to stick with carving and work on sliding and some drifting first.

i wanted something smaller and easier to carry around

and something fun for parks and bowls.

Ceviche came next.

• 2 weeks later...

and here is the second attempt at a drop through deck

Julian's D.L.H. don't ask me about the name Julian picked it, ask him

DLH3copy.jpg

i like the drop through idea and i like how they ride but i don't like the fact that not all trucks work with all of the drop through design so i'm going to make my own universal system

• 2 weeks later...

My first build: "Rossi Special" for Luka

An old Rossi Throttle with buggered inserts had the 2nd reincarnation into usable life. It was ment for the wall hanger, but I thought she would be happier to ride again...

Cutting her up was quite an experience.

I used the nose curvature to create the wedge for the front truck. Rear truck I mounted drop through, that compensated ideally for the drop created by fron wedge. Graphics worked out just great with the shape of the board. With his tiny feet he didn't really need the full width of the board, but I still left it to enable him to use it as a bum-board too.

I used a pair of Kryptonic 120 trucks I had kicking around garage and Kryptonic Route 65 wheels. Overall length is 24" and wheel base about 20.5"

post-1678-141842285908_thumb.jpg

post-1678-141842285911_thumb.jpg

post-1678-141842285914_thumb.jpg

I still have to do few tweeks:

Find some super soft bushings suitable for 36 lbs rider;

Spray the clear grip, for full appreciation of the grahics;

Possibly move the front truck slightly closetr to the body of the deck - there is almost too much flex in the nose even for Luka...

post-1678-141842285918_thumb.jpg

post-1678-141842285921_thumb.jpg

I still have to do few tweeks:

Find some super soft bushings suitable for 36 lbs rider;

Spray the clear grip, for full appreciation of the grahics;

Possibly move the front truck slightly closetr to the body of the deck - there is almost too much flex in the nose even for Luka...

Another awesome work create by BlueB steady hand :biggthump. When did you made this? U working, helping (still) wife's business, take care Luka morning & evening, make supper, stay together after dinner.Mmmm.. Oh I know, u sneak up after midnight...I guess you didn't sleep :nono: Now we know why Dad need to have a garage;). I can install heating for your garage just let me know :eplus2:

Cheers

Roy

I hit a bump, a particularly nasty one thats on my route to school.

I heard a CRRAAACCKKKK

Instantly I was like... oh....cr@p....

got off, flipped over the board....

right where it tapers to the truck, its splintered.

Ride-able for now. (for my commute to school and back)

It wont last long.

1254410428.jpg?t=1254677974

Going off to the customer's artist, I'll ask him for some pictures once it's set up.

CARBON and PLY (1 or 1.5 inch?), is this deck will be as stiff as steel:eek:? Do you still get some flex with the nine/ten layers ply in the centre structure?

NICE LOOKING thou, too bad will be on the bottom side...which side is forward & how long is the wheel base will be?

Good job, share some pixs when is ready...

Cheers

Roy

Very stiff. I can only bounce about 1/2'' of flex out of it, at my 155 lbs. The customer is in the low 200s, and this is a speedboard.

Main board is 3x 1/8'' baltic birch, center beam is an extra 2x 1/8''. Baseplate recesses are 1/8'' deep. Titebond III wood glue.

Composites are 6oz E and silver texalium (aluminum coated glass- not carbon) with resin research epoxy, using perf ply & a bleeder cloth.

All is vacuum formed in several steps.

The wide & pointy end is the front. WB around 32''

1254694701.jpg1254694705.jpg

finally the hybrid is ready but i decided to call it the PRIUS XI and i'll tell you why

first of all it's a hybrid as you can see, this is the eleventh deck i made and XI is the roman number for eleven, it has zero emission, no pollution, low maintenance cost and last but not least i wouldn't fell safe going really fast with it

THEHYBRIDcopy.jpg

it'll be interesting to ride, i think i'll let my son go first, he heals faster

i will try different trucks, i don't think the seismic is a good choice they are probably not turny enough to keep up with the front wheels, we'll see