Note to New Members ×

first there was a summerstick and then

carvingchef

it all started a few weeks ago when i made a longboard for my son which i named the "summerstick"

summerstick.jpg

because he liked it so much and rode it pretty much everyday to school he is now totally into longboards so i made a couple more.

FORBOL1copy2.jpgFORBOL2copy.jpg

the one on the left is "Julian's Twintip" and the one on the right is my own custom "Bling Slalom"

but you can call it custom BS if you like

next in line is "Theo Asym Special" and "The Big Daddy"

after that probably a Hybrid

and another one that i don't know what to call yet, after that well'see

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boards look great! I especially like the asym grip tape on the left board.

Just curious, what method/wood do you use to build them? I recently made a pintail that I'm loving riding.

Anthony

I believe it's made out of 13 plies of baltic birch.

We cut and sand it and he has his special process which I'm sure he'll tell you about.

Wooo-hooo! That thing is styled after the Virus Vampire!
you are absolutely right Boris and you know better than anybody else since you have a Vampire and it's clearly visible in your signature, every longboard i make is snowboard inspired in way way or another and because i can't ride (today was my first day really) for my own board i went for the bling factor, hence the name custom "Bling Slalom" or custom BS

Boards look great! I especially like the asym grip tape on the left board.

Just curious, what method/wood do you use to build them? I recently made a pintail that I'm loving riding.

Anthony

Thanks, the look of Julian's Twintip was my son's idea, he wanted the shape similar to the loaded vanguard with the blue top shaped like a snowboard and the grip tape to resemble the vist or hangle plates and as you probably already guessed he is a regular rider, i am the goofy one, as far as making them there is no secret or special process, for the summerstick i used a piece of wood (9 plies baltic birch about half inch thick) that i still had hanging around the house from when i was making my own boards for skysurfing and i copied the shape of a pintail but i wanted to make something that nobody else in the neighborhood would have so i gave it a swallow tail and it reminded me of a winterstick so i called it the summerstick, after i saw Julian riding it i could tell that it was way too flexy, probably due to the long wheel base too, so i bought some 13 plies baltic birch (about 3/4 of an inch) and i made the next 2 planks, they still bend a little bit when i jump on them but at least they can hold my 220 lbs light weight but as far as building them i just use a saw, a drill, a wood file, sand paper, brush, paint, you get the idea, now i just have to learn how to ride them

Thanks, the look of Julian's Twintip was my son's idea, he wanted the shape similar to the loaded vanguard with the blue top shaped like a snowboard and the grip tape to resemble the vist or hangle plates and as you probably already guessed he is a regular rider, i am the goofy one, as far as making them there is no secret or special process, for the summerstick i used a piece of wood (9 plies baltic birch about half inch thick) that i still had hanging around the house from when i was making my own boards for skysurfing and i copied the shape of a pintail but i wanted to make something that nobody else in the neighborhood would have so i gave it a swallow tail and it reminded me of a winterstick so i called it the summerstick, after i saw Julian riding it i could tell that it was way too flexy, probably due to the long wheel base too, so i bought some 13 plies baltic birch (about 3/4 of an inch) and i made the next 2 planks, they still bend a little bit when i jump on them but at least they can hold my 220 lbs light weight but as far as building them i just use a saw, a drill, a wood file, sand paper, brush, paint, you get the idea, now i just have to learn how to ride them

Is that a paragraph, or a run-on sentance....? :eek::freak3:

Hey Hey Hey, No picking on your dad (my parents are the same) for that one. hehe

Awesome work Andrea :biggthump. Do you use power tools to do this, or is it all done with hard labor and sweat (not that it wouldn't be with power tools, it's just harder without them).

Nice choice of trucks, Revenge trucks are super carvy (not that stable though, but carvy) - they're not too popular though, another one of those love em or hate em kind of trucks. Good choice with the Randal 180s - they're your run of the mill do everything trucks that you can't really go wrong with, and you have a ton of options as far as base plates (35, 42, 50, and 60 degree plates). You can adjust the angles without having to use wedged risers - thus keeping your board lower to the ground.

Nice choice of trucks, Revenge trucks are super carvy (not that stable though, but carvy) - they're not too popular though, another one of those love em or hate em kind of trucks. Good choice with the Randal 180s - they're your run of the mill do everything trucks that you can't really go wrong with, and you have a ton of options as far as base plates (35, 42, 50, and 60 degree plates). You can adjust the angles without having to use wedged risers - thus keeping your board lower to the ground.

what are you doing up at 2 am on bomber?

I'm running 50 degrees with a wedge riser, so maybe closer to 55 degrees.

We also found somewhere that the loaded vanguard was built around the randal R-II trucks.

We made a good choice! :biggthump

WOW!! Looks like Andrea has been busy for the first months of summer!!! Will I have to place my order now if I want a board by February?? Have you thought of making a dropthrough truck design?? Like the Dervish or Kracked Skulls board??

Julian, please notice there ain't no run on sentences in that above paragraph

One thing to consider is the fact that one thing to consider is the fact that one thing to consider is the fact that one thing to consider is the fact that there are redundant there are redundant punctuation marks one thing to consider is the fact that there are there are redundant there are redundant punctuation marks littered one thing to consider is the fact that there are redundant punctuation marks littered all about your post.

Is that a paragraph, or a run-on sentance....? :eek::freak3:
what was funny to me is that i was given a hard time about punctuation from someone who cant even spell "SENTENCE" correctly. no wonder he is in summer school
Awesome work Andrea :biggthump. Do you use power tools to do this, or is it all done with hard labor and sweat (not that it wouldn't be with power tools, it's just harder without them).
thanks Albert, i start with a rectangular piece of wood and an electric small jigsaw to cut around the perimeter, an electric drill for the holes and the rest, filing, shaping, sending etc. is done by hand
WOW!! Looks like Andrea has been busy for the first months of summer!!! Will I have to place my order now if I want a board by February?? Have you thought of making a dropthrough truck design?? Like the Dervish or Kracked Skulls board??
why did you want one? i didn't even know you ride longboards, it looks more dangerous than a bicycle.

I saw the dervish and i thought about it but i would probably need to buy the trucks before i even know exactly where to cut the wood and with the traditional holes i can just have a bunch of boards and swap the trucks around

Andrea- if you're happy with the way Randals ride (as many people are, they are just an agreeable truck design!) simply turn to the ever-helpful Randal site: http://randal.com/pdf/r2template.pdf

That's a routing template if do want to thru-mount some trucks. I just don't know how in the world you'll ever fit the wheels through that little slot! ;)

why did you want one? i didn't even know you ride longboards, it looks more dangerous than a bicycle.

Andrea, I actually own a Kracked Skulls M1 with Randall 180s and Krypto Classics. I just use it for cruising around town, running to the grocery store and it makes great transportation at the local car shows. If you like you can use it to poach the design.

One thing I would like to make for it are some truck risers out of bushing material. Currently the risers are just wood, same thickness as the board. It just seems to transmit some vibration into my feet that makes them go numb. I need to find some hard durometer material, but softer than the wood and break out my dremel tool and whoop some up.

AAron

Theo

thanks for the link, i'm not sure if you need to get special trucks for it or if you just have to take the trucks apart, mount the base from the top of the deck and then put them back together, either way it sounds like too much effort, for now i'll keep it simple, no drop through

Nope, no special trucks required. Just take off the king pin and the hanger/bushings. drop the baseplate through and mount with nutes, reattach hanger. Very simple, and I like drop throughs a lot.

Of course if you want to get real fancy, you could do a flush mount. :p

Hi Aaron,

we must have posted at the same time, i had no idea you also longboard, i would say welcome to the club but i only joined yesterday and i still don't have a clue. You should be able to find some rubber risers at a skate shop, Julian and I found some wedge risers at the sport shop in Bishop last time we went to Mammoth and if you want i can keep my eyes open, i drive around for work and i know where a few skate shops are.

Theo, question for you, new school or old school holes on the asym? and do you know what size trucks and wheels you are going to put on it? i'm trying to figure out the clearance to avoid wheel bite

Nope, no special trucks required. Just take off the king pin and the hanger/bushings. drop the baseplate through and mount with nutes, reattach hanger. Very simple, and I like drop throughs a lot.
thanks for the info, maybe in the future. i'm also afraid that because i use generic wood and not some fancy composite there might not be enough wood around the holes to hold the truck safely

I was only kidding about the trucks, it's really quite simple, just one nut to disassemble a randal truck.

The asym, despite it's silly look, will have to be new-school mount. I'll probably have 73mm vents on it..when I get the money for more trucks! :lol:

As for the dropthru- you worked in the toiletseat casting industry right? Good, it wouldn't have helped you much anyway. Why not start doing thinner wood, and laminating a sheet of fiberglass on the bottom?

Aaron, I like the longboard at carshows idea..never seen anybody do that around here, the skateboard capital of the world. I guess it's less intrusive than pocket bikes, since the smoke really stinks up the convention center here.

Good little trick, since you're a bike guy. Assuming you haven't made the switch to Stans (I have, lots of pokey things down here) you probably have a good pile of hole-filled butyl carcasses sitting around the garage. (I sure do, my dad had a razor blade edge inside a rim, and on top of that Exiwolfs are a loose fit, so the rim would spin inside the tire and tube until it bit, sheering the valve off) Snip off the valve grommet (or if it's Schraeder you can probably just cut the stem assuming the core is out) and start cutting a straight line all along the circumference of the tube and then lay it flat and start snipping squares off the tube, and then cut out space for the mounting hardware. Free infinitely variable shock pads! And since butyl is so squishy, you can just keep cranking it down till you get the desired preload. I haven't tried this, but I'm sure tire sidewalls, if you have any bald or trashed tires still around, would work just as well or better than tubes if you want a stiffer interface.

thanks for the info, maybe in the future. i'm also afraid that because i use generic wood and not some fancy composite there might not be enough wood around the holes to hold the truck safely

I use Baltic Birch 1/4" plies, two sheets laminated together with titebond wood glue, and as far as I know it's fine to do a drop through on that, as long as you put an extra layer just where the trucks go. Like they do on the Kracked Skulls board I linked to below. The great thing about laminating is you can add camber (and concave if you make a press) and it makes the boards a lot livelier rather than a damp flex.

http://krackedskulls.com/images/IMGP0069.JPG

I just got back from longboarding around, and tomorrow my Never Summer Heist gets here so I absolutely can't wait for that!

Nice work Andrea. Looks like all i really need is a jig saw cutter. I have everything else. Heh, i keep wanting to do all sorts of things - i need to focus on one thing at a time.

KC - nice choice if you go with 73mm Speedvents. I have some in 80a. They're super sticky and have plenty of rebound. I don't think i've gotten them to slide or drift at all yet. Then again, i'm not trying, nor am i any good at sliding - although sometimes i could feel my gumballs (sold) drift out on me with some hard carving. Vents accelerated nicely too with the vented core - only con is that they tend to transmit a lot of the road imperfections (not good for my leg).