Note to New Members ×

bigmtn... BMES 2010

west carven

howdy all

got a slow start today, cause i figure it would be icey in the morning.

it was already warm at 10:30am, wet heavy firm, but carvable. took

it easy, conditions of the snow is getting bad, even the backside.

we need new snow and colder temps. some high traffic areas are hard

packed ice. the temp at chair 2 read 40 degrees at 12pm. forcast for

the next week is snow/rain and temps at 35 degrees. thing are going

downhill. rode my 178 speed from 10:30 till 1pm...

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we've had great carving snow for a whole week now. The last real pow day we had was Tuesday the 5th, and each day since the groomers have carved better and better. Last week they were still pretty soft so they got choppy by afternoon, but the last couple of days I've stayed on carving gear until last chair. Temps are warming up now, so it could all go down the crapper until the next dump, but we'll just take each day as it comes. I hope the BMES week has snow conditions as good as we've had the last 4 days; it's been a trench fest. Flat light, but great snow.

New video just in. I had a friend visit for a few days after Christmas and got some video of something rarely seen on Big Mountain in December and January, sunshine, so here's a BMES teaser video. My buddy's not a carver, but there are some shots of me hard booting at 3:40 and 7:50 (mm:ss) into the video. It's the Shred Groomer Violator 188 doing Ptarmigan Bowl in the first clip, then a 169 4WD doing Ed's and Toni in the second clip.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAF-RIL1rfU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAF-RIL1rfU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

In other news, we had a skier-carver collision on the mountain a few days ago. Score skier 0, carver 1. Rick took out someones tib/fib with his Giro full face helmet. The guy didn't even see him, thought he must have been hit from behind, but the break was clearly from the side and he rolled over Rick after impact. It was within 50 yards of where I got hit last year, but that time I was the one that ended up in the ER (score skier 1, carver 0).

howdy all

snowed all day and there was three inches of new snow. heard yesterday

was ice sheets with chicken heads on the front side. the fog kept

creeping down slowly, by the time i left it was down to chair three.

the new snow really helped, the front side was carveable, but not the

best conditions. half of eds run was roped off with the kids race league.

with ski school for the little ones and the weekend warriors, it was a zoo!

temps are still mild and forecast is more warm temps, hope things cool

down before the boys show up next week because its spring conditions

right now. rode my rsfp173 from 9:30 till 1pm...

So, I'm starting to wonder who exactly is going to be around that week. Could everyone post what days they plan on riding? Also, is there a meeting spot each morning? Radios? (channel number?) or cell phones?

I plan on riding Wednesday and Thursday. I may try to get out of work early on Tuesday to drive up (about 3 hours or so from work). Then I have to be back to work on Friday morning at 10:30am.

So, what are everyone elses plans?

And Mark.... don't forget about the time change between Idaho and MT!!!

Hmmmm.... who was it last year that had that issue??? hahahahaha.... was that on a trip to Turner for freshies????? Can't remember.....

3 1/2 hour drive 1 hour time change. That mistake wont be made again:mad:. And yes it was a trip to Turner for fresghies.

howdy all

not as crowded as i thought being MLK day. high overcast and the sun

peaked thru for a little while. good visibility, the top half was good carving

snow, but the bottom was wet with alot of death cookies. the snow on

the bottom was very chunky and getting soupy by the time i left. its like

late march spring conditions. forcast is more warm temps and rain/snow.

should cool down by next week. rode my rsfp173 from 9:30 till 1pm...

Me and my buds are rollin into Whitefish on Saturday and leaving on the friday. Are there any hardboot instructors going to be there?

I'm a novice rider (compared to some of the rippers I've seen) and I'm hoping there is someone who is interested in giving some pointers. I have never had any lessons, I do OK but I'm jonsin to bump it up a level or, hopefully 2

Steeps. They have my #. I just want some tips from someone who can assess what I'm doing (or not doing) and try and help me out. I wouldn't expect a ton of time, part of a morning or something maybe?

There are beers in it or whatever we need to work out.

Holla back if you think you might be able to help out.:biggthump

Thanks.

Kurt

howdy all

started like the sun was going to make an appearence. high overcast

in the early morning, by noon fog moves in then starts to snow by 2pm.

it was cold enough where it did not get wet-n-slushy. the bottom half

was icey in the morning and carveable in the afternoon. pushed it pretty

hard today, rode my rsfp173 from 9:30 till 3pm...

Kurt, I do teach, but I don't know how much I'd be able to help you! I'd be happy to give you tips on basics, but it won't take long before you're better than me, I'm sure!

I've been in touch with an instructor from there that I'm hoping to catch up wiith some on Thursday for a run or two. I emailed him and told him I was going to be there to ride with a bunch of carvers.... his response? "Maybe I'll have to dig my hard boots out of the basement!" ha He is a DCL (one step lower than examiner) for AASI in the northwest division.

Anyway, I'd be happy to help if I can, but I won't be riding until Wednesday and I'm sure by then you'll have it all figured out!

Kathy

I don't know if Steve is going to be heading up, but he'd be a good one to get help from too. He's an awesome instructor!

Hi All Dawn and I expect to be arriving Friday 22, early afternoon.

Hey LOCALS... where are the gear lockers for skis and boards located? We plan on getting a locker at the hill for storing our gear so we don't have to lug it back und forth on the bus. Also... we need to go to a ticketing office somewhere to get our "frequent Skier" cards finalized. Where is this office? I'm guessing both the office and the lockers are up at the village.

It looks like the best place to get off the bus would be the village unless there is some reason to be at the base lodge. Right?

I think if your looking for your photo ID.. It "USED" to be in the village across from the Beer stube.. But Call since the recent renovations.. a lot has been moved to the base lodge.. parking down below is a good choice as I believe the beginner chair that takes you up to the village is Free and I believe it starts early.. but it doesn't hurt to call ..so much has changed with recent development.

RSS

howdy all

yes, cuban is correct, everything at the baselodge. the snow bus from

whitefish first stop is the baselodge so get off there. the ticket office

and rentals are in the second level and lockers are on the bottom where

the bus lets you off. on the top level there is the snack shop and dinning

area with a little bar and restrooms, this opens up to chair 6 which used

to be free, this will take you up to chair 1 and chair 2. chair 1 will take

you to the top and theres chair 7 the northside (backside). a good place

to meet is by chair 2 or the top of chair 1. if you see any hardbooters

just introduce yourselfs. theres only a handful of us and are expecting

you all. safe travels and pray for good groomers... see you soon...

Looks like I was wrong on everything! Thanks for the help. We would have gotten it figured out PDQ, but I'm so anal-retentive that I struggle to know all the details before I get somewhere. Oh, well... At least I know that the hill is south of town.:freak3:

From the bus schedule that's posted it looks like I can get to the base lodge in the afternoon of arrival (expect to get to town approx 2:30) and get the pass & locker stuff taken care of. The next day its RIDE RIDE RIDE.

Will the bus pick up/drop folks if they are not at one of the offically designated stops? We are a short walk from 2 stops (between Ice Rink and Lodge at Whitefish)

<table style="width: 444px; height: 135px;" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="normal" width="250" align="left">Name </td> <td class="normal" width="100" align="left"> Vertical </td> <td class="normal" width="50" align="left"> Rank </td> <td class="normal" width="50" align="center">

</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#cccccc"> <td class="medium" width="175" align="left"> Johnasmo</td> <td class="normal" width="75" align="left"> 1,055,672 </td> <td class="normal" width="50" align="left"> 3 </td> <td class="small" width="50" align="center"> </td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#f7f4d7"> <td class="medium" width="175" align="left">Rick S.

</td> <td class="normal" width="75" align="left"> 913,612 </td> <td class="normal" width="50" align="left"> 4 </td> <td class="small" width="50" align="center"> </td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#cccccc"> <td class="medium" width="175" align="left">West Carven

</td> <td class="normal" width="75" align="left"> 416,390 </td> <td class="normal" width="50" align="left"> 48 </td> <td class="small" width="50" align="center"> </td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#f7f4d7"> <td class="medium" width="175" align="left"> Mario B </td> <td class="normal" width="75" align="left"> 392,418 </td> <td class="normal" width="50" align="left"> 58 </td> <td class="small" width="50" align="center"> </td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#cccccc"> <td class="medium" width="175" align="left"> Sqwallguy

</td> <td class="normal" width="75" align="left"> 229,628 </td> <td class="normal" width="50" align="left"> 302 </td> <td class="small" width="50" align="center"> </td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#f7f4d7"> <td class="medium" width="175" align="left"> DrD </td> <td class="normal" width="75" align="left"> 85,232 </td> <td class="normal" width="50" align="left"> 2,281 </td> <td class="small" width="50" align="center">

</td></tr></tbody></table>