Note to New Members ×

bigmtn... BMES 2010

west carven

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First Tracks? Hardly. There are seriously freaky snow junkies in these parts. It's hard to keep up with them. Last Saturday (the 24th) there was a mountain bike track in the snow at the summit. It looked like a single ski track (see photo) except for the tread marks on the sides. I met a guy hiking up on Monday (without bike), who confirmed it was his bike track. Monday (the 26th) was the first sign of a skier. Someone put climbing skins on starting at the Bench Run, and skied off the back side, probably hiking out on Russ's Street. It snowed Monday night so I was finally willing to give it a go on Tuesday, but even then another (or same) skier skinned from the bottom where there was only an inch or two and again went off the back side and out Russ's Street. He was finishing as I was starting, so I guess that makes me Third Tracks. Maybe next year. At least I was first tracks for riding on the front side. Hail Tony, maximum Matt! You don't need to stay on Jeep trails when you've got PBR base.

As for the music, I actually did hear that on the way up and thought it would make a decent soundtrack for the day -- lighten things up given the wet, foggy conditions. Lately I've been letting iTunes "genius" feature create playlists for me. Pick a few songs, make genius playlists from them, dump them on an old school MP3 player and rock on. That tune ("19-200" by Gorillaz) was put on a playlist spawned from the White Stripes "Fell In Love With A Girl". Go figure. I didn't even know I had it; I got it from dredman, and he got it from some guy in Vegas... all first hand fair use, of course.

post-1861-141842288998_thumb.jpg

I'm in canada, a long ways north of the border. but whitefish is closer than some of the other ses events. I have friends in banff to visit on the same trip but driving would be a long ways. flying is an option.

Anyway i guess my question is. How small of scale will this event be compared to the other two events. there's one in col, and east somewhere is that right

If past BMES is any indication of future BMES, it will be a half dozen (or less) out-of-towners on top of the half dozen (or less) local carvers. We'll still all fit at one table at the Hellroaring Saloon.

This thread is as much a Big Mountain community thread for the resort locals and its visitors as it is about any specific dates. Basically, "BMES" is whenever the Cleveland crew shows up.

Lake Louise and Sunshine Village are about a 5 hour drive from Whitefish; the town of Banff a little longer. You're welcome to check it out, but the SES in Aspen is the real deal -- a carving convention, orders of magnitude more impressive, a destination event, accept no substitutes...

I'm in canada, a long ways north of the border. but whitefish is closer than some of the other ses events. I have friends in banff to visit on the same trip but driving would be a long ways. flying is an option.

Anyway i guess my question is. How small of scale will this event be compared to the other two events. there's one in col, and east somewhere is that right

energyrail (not sure what that means but it is unique) - not that I have been to this one but this is a bunch of guys getting together to ride at a great mountain. Dr D, dredman, johanasmo and west carven are all local guys up there - then a bunch from Cleveland and points east show up. No organized demos of gear. More just riding with rippers. At least from what I can gather. Been trying to make it up there for a couple years now. The mountain is awesome for a mix of carving and pow. It can be limited visibility at times. Hopefully that is when there is a foot of fresh and you can head to the trees.

The last time I was there the grooming was great - hopefully that has not changed.

This is NOT a SES event. Just some hard booters at A great mountain.

Hey Cuban the thread title is BMES indicating some form of organization from the chaos of random hard booters showing up in Northern Montana. But we all know the truth.:eplus2:

Sweet vid. I enjoy ver much. Especially the ending. Gotta love it.

If past BMES is any indication of future BMES, it will be a half dozen (or less) out-of-towners on top of the half dozen (or less) local carvers. We'll still all fit at one table at the Hellroaring Saloon.

This thread is as much a Big Mountain community thread for the resort locals and its visitors as it is about any specific dates. Basically, "BMES" is whenever the Cleveland crew shows up.

Lake Louise and Sunshine Village are about a 5 hour drive from Whitefish; the town of Banff a little longer. You're welcome to check it out, but the SES in Aspen is the real deal -- a carving convention, orders of magnitude more impressive, a destination event, accept no substitutes...

So I wasn't too far off. You beat me to it.

Hey do you mind sharing what type of cam, editing software etc you use.

You make very smooth videos that I enjoy very much. Not only that you snowboard later and earlier than anyone I know so you are one of my heroes. Keep up the good work.

well energyrail

I first used the tag on ebay. It is refering to the first pair skis i bought on there "volkl p40 fl energyrail".

But i figure riding a hardboot board or a good pair of race skis, is like riding an energyrail. Whatever that may be

Only 5 hours from banff. hmm. i'm 9 hours from banff. but only 8 from calgary, if I take a different road.

Oh by the way the town of banff is 45 minutes south of sunshine and louise.

Is anybody from calgary area making the drive?

I've made the drive from Calgary three times, it's a pretty mellow trip. The only bit that might get a bit dicey is the span between Fernie and the US border - for some reason that piece of road always gets a bit gnarly midwinter. I can be out of the south of Calgary, across the border (with all the associated BS of having a New Zealand passport) and in Whitefish in six hours.

Probably won't be making these dates this year, but plan on making the trip at least once this winter.

Hey do you mind sharing what type of cam, editing software etc you use.

Asmo's Recipe for Smooth and Tasty Video Treats

Ingredients:

• Camera (Canon Powershot SD1100 Digital Elph)
  • VirtualDub (Free video processing software)
  • Deshaker (Free VirtualDub plug-in for stabilizing video)
  • Pinnacle Studio (non-linear video editing software)

Instructions:

1. Leave home and do something you love, preferably involving snowboards
  2. Pull camera from pocket and take 5 to 10 second clip of whatever you are doing
  3. Repeat step 1 frequently until you are done doing what you are doing
  4. Return home
  5. Upload videos to a computer
  6. Append all the clips using VirtualDub
  7. Stabilize the whole mess using deshaker video filter
  8. Save consolidated and stabilized video as a new file
  9. Open in movie editing software of your choice
  10. Remove and discard fat
  11. Add spicy soundtrack
  12. Save movie and allow an hour to upload to youtube
  13. Your tasty video treat is now ready to consume

It's a simple recipe, and all the ingredients are cheap, but it does take a lot of time to prepare. The deshaker video filter works in two passes, one pass to analyze the motion in the video, and the second pass to compensate for the motion. It's highly configurable in each pass, and it took a while to come up with settings I liked. I can share the settings I use if you want to give it a go.

• 3 weeks later...

howdy all

we have been missing a bunch of storm fronts, finally today we got

a little. woke up thinking there would be some on the ground, but noooo...

but when i went to work at 9:30am it started and dumped a little less

than two inches by 2:30pm. we still need a ton more, opening day is

less than two weeks. pray brothers and do a little dance...

happy turkey day!!!...

howdy all

got my first turns today at lookout pass a small hill on the idaho/mt

boarder. we were expecting some new stuff but maybe 2 inches.

still thin cover, the top was carveable the bottom icey hardpack.

road my rock board with softies and carved some nice turns.

felt great to be on the snow, had a blast! came home to a few inches

here in town. the past week the runs on the big got filled in, but

still needs a lot more. look like somthing is moving in on the radar.

looking good for a decent opening... one more week!!!...