Note to New Members ×

Fin - busted!

Jack M

new ones are just piaggio/aprilia's in pretty clothing, the old ones are awesome, nice power, engine is easy to work on, classic lines, Metal bodywork. I've been trying to convince my Uncle to sell me the old 180cc he has for my Aunt that she doesn't want to ride

True stylish urban style. That's what it is about. And since in a urban environnement your Suzuki ZZR 750 will only make the difference till the next traffic light, you will still save lots of time. Having said that, I loved it when I lived in Paris, but never had the guts to ride one or any other two-wheelie in bumpy NYC.

Ouch, cold!

Yea, Vespa people are a strange lot. They seem to love the fact the scooters are NOT fast and need tons of maintenance. Mine is a 79' and the engineering is horrible, I have to rework every replacement part I get, it handles like a school desk going 45 mph, the brakes are more of a "sort of slows you down...most of the time" device, and it hold all of its fluids like a pasta strainer.

And it is fun as hell! You speed-freaks in your fancy-pants rockets don't know what your missing ;)

Ouch, cold!

Yea, Vespa people are a strange lot. They seem to love the fact the scooters are NOT fast and need tons of maintenance. Mine is a 79' and the engineering is horrible, I have to rework every replacement part I get, it handles like a school desk going 45 mph, the brakes are more of a "sorts slow you down...most of the time" device, and it hold all of its fluids like a pasta strainer.

And it is fun as hell! You speed-freaks in your fancy-pants rockets don't know what your missing ;)

You need to meet my old triumph mechanic Demon Larry - He does some insane things with old lambrettas...

True stylish urban style. That's what it is about. And since in a urban environnement your Suzuki ZZR 750 will only make the difference till the next traffic light, you will still save lots of time. Having said that, I loved it when I lived in Paris, but never had the guts to ride one or any other two-wheelie in bumpy NYC.

****, I'm just talking a zuki DR or DRZ, even the 100 cc if plated will hop curbs and you won't die when it hits a pothole.

Fin I did a five year stint on a scooter in Toronto, all year, all the time. I have to side with you that half the fun is that they don't go a million miles an hour. I thought you couldn't really get in trouble at 60kph (slightly more than 35 for you mph fans) but alas, I was wrong. Bicycle path bridges are, in fact, only for bicycles. Everyone was always giving me a hard time about it, an 80cc Honda ring-ding, but you would be surprised at how quickly they changed their tune when they wanted to take it for a spin.

I found it easy to get around, never paid for parking (amortize one $35 ticket over five years and it ammounts to nothing) and boy was it cheap on gas. Sure I got damp/wet every now and then, but who hasn't.

Scooters rock and when the general public in N.America realize they are a part of traffic and stop running them over, we will have a great toy to ride and have fun.

I lived in Hoboken for a while, and the town gave you a sizable tax credit if you bought a scooter instead of a car. They wanted people to get rid of their cars and use Vespa's in order to save on the extremely limited parking space there. The only disadvantage was that (at that time) you were not allowed to drive them through the Lincoln or Holland tunnels, so if you had one, you couldn't commute to your Manhattan job with it. That was the only thing that kept me from joining the club... Well, that and the fact that I would have appeared (at first glance) to have been a yuppie...

I rode a scooter for 3 years 365 when I was in Japan turned out to be better than a motorcycle, I even went snowboarding by scooter (OK not completely but I did ride my scooter to the bullet train with my board and boots). I wish I could have brought it home

I visited a friend in Ashville, N.C. and thought it was cool as I drove into town and saw a disproportionatly high number of scooters.

I later found out the "liquor cycles" were what people drove if they lost their licence via D.U.I.. As it turned out, you didn't need a licence if it was 50cc or less or something to that effect. I guess that would also explain the lack of brain protectors.

Every summer the town of Frisco puts on a classic rock concert on Main Street. Can't remember who it was but it attracted all the old school rockers and lots of biker type guys. So I decided to go into town and check it out on my Vespa.

I pull up to HUGE line of parked Harley motorcycles and see there is one small gap between two ginormous Harleys I could fit in. I back the scooter in and go to turn it off and notice three big leathery Harley guys on a picnic table staring at me. Then they slowly get up and start the "lets go start some crap with this guy" looking walk over to me.

I am just getting off my Vespa when they get to me and the head guy says (imagine in a Hollywood type low biker voice) "are you riding a Vespa Scooter?" and I respond with "Yes, I am". This is where there was just the right amount silence where I was able to think about all the ways this could go. Visions of me and my scooter swimming in lake Dillon, or maybe a I get the Italian Enema the hard way, or who knows.

The guy then cheerfully lights up and turns to his buddies and says "Right on, I had one of those when I was going to school. Check this out guys it carries a full size spare and .....". Not going to say we where long time friends after that and drank beer into the night but my misconception of bikers was broken that day. I did get a wedgy and they took my lunch money but we did bond.

Are you a Mod or a Rocker?

post-1-141842283122_thumb.jpg

post-1-141842283124_thumb.jpg

post-1-141842283126_thumb.jpg

Huge in Portland

MSRP: $6899

You must be ****ting us. I can't believe that price. I think I can buy a full sized hyundai that gets 40 mpg for that.

If I ever go scooter....

50cc never looked better!

Jack for the win, but fails on the step thru.

Hey, I like women.....they just don't like me ;)

I like to think my personality is a form of birth control.

Ahhhh.... a true snowboarder.