Note to New Members ×

Chronicles of the Happy Fun Plate at the Bomber Factory

fin

Wouldn't the springs stick out and touch the boot depending on the angle? :confused:

Making lower angles impossible?

like before using the suspension plate, you had the bindings at 60-55, and then the boots touch the spring, so you have to ride at 70-65?

Happy%20Fun%20Plate.jpg

I don't see the springs being anywhere near the binding baseplate in that ^^

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"I am hungry, I want a ham sandwich". Which has nothing to do with this, but after that sandwich I then thought "hey, this is the perfect opportunity to share how we go about this". So what I have started is a thread so that you guys can watch how we make a device from conception to production to testing/using it.

I want whatever was in that ham sandwich - this thread is really, really cool.

next question: how slick is "delrin"? is the motion of the spring assembly going to wear a hole in the topsheet? (especially when a little grit works its way in between the spring base and the topsheet)

+1

add a super thin metal adhesive strip to the board under the contact points? light, cheap, replaceable

the only sucky part is me as the rider :)

me suck

blame board

get new board

still suck

blame boots

get new boots

still suck

blame binding

get new binding

still suck

maybe this thing will make me a better snowboarder :D

Reminds me of something my dad said...

I guess if I got one of those new boards, I would suck a lot better.

Originally Posted by Arclite viewpost.gif

Wouldn't the springs stick out and touch the boot depending on the angle? :confused:

Making lower angles impossible?

like before using the suspension plate, you had the bindings at 60-55, and then the boots touch the spring, so you have to ride at 70-65?

once you put the bails on the base plate your boots will sit higher and the part of the boots that sticks out of the bail base usually is already curving up, plenty of space down there, and i cant imagine Fin not having considered that

don't be in such a hurry to call people smart a$$

most of the time i do that i then realize i was being one myself

once you put the bails on the base plate your boots will sit higher and the part of the boots that sticks out of the bail base usually is already curving up, plenty of space down there, and i cant imagine Fin not having considered that

don't be in such a hurry to call people smart a$$

most of the time i do that i then realize i was being one myself

You say it to me all the time :D

Just a quick update:

Had a huge day and was able to make most of the remaining parts. It is 11:30pm and I just finished one set-up and just don't have the umf to finish the second. Have tons of pics but will have to wait a day or two to post as I plan to try this out tomarrow at A-basin.

Right now I can tell you it looks impressive. Looks like something Robo-Cop would ride. But won't know till the rubber meets the road.

Back soon with pics and report.

Vibrations originating from the snow impacting the board have to travel from the board to the rider in an upward direction. They have to compress the elastomer to get through to the foot. That is why the TD2-3 works. If what you said was true, there would be no difference in feel between the TD1 and the 2-3.

Movement of the board travels from the board to the boot through an uninterrupted metal path until/unless the elastomer compresses enough for the cant/tilt ring to move downward and away from the center disk. Until that movement happens, the center disk and the ring are effectively one piece, and I don't think that's a very common occurrence.

The TD2 + suspension kit helps, but I still think that there's a lot of lower-amplitude vibration that could be damped out if there was a layer of elastomer between the center disk and the cant/tilt ring.

I'm talking only about TD2s by the way - haven't seen the TD3 up close yet but I'm looking forward to trying a set next season.

Movement of the board travels from the board to the boot through an uninterrupted metal path until/unless the elastomer compresses enough for the cant/tilt ring to move downward and away from the center disk. Until that movement happens, the center disk and the ring are effectively one piece, and I don't think that's a very common occurrence.

The TD2 + suspension kit helps, but I still think that there's a lot of lower-amplitude vibration that could be damped out if there was a layer of elastomer between the center disk and the cant/tilt ring.

I'm talking only about TD2s by the way - haven't seen the TD3 up close yet but I'm looking forward to trying a set next season.

The TD3's hasn't that elastomere either under the centerdisk. I made a rubber gasket to provide my cyborg titanal from damaging. Worked out nicely after three days of riding with it. No complaints. Screws stayed tight.

post-105-14184228197_thumb.jpg

Just a quick update:

Had a huge day and was able to make most of the remaining parts. It is 11:30pm and I just finished one set-up and just don't have the umf to finish the second. Have tons of pics but will have to wait a day or two to post as I plan to try this out tomarrow at A-basin.

Right now I can tell you it looks impressive. Looks like something Robo-Cop would ride. But won't know till the rubber meets the road.

Back soon with pics and report.

Anxious to hear how this setup will work out :biggthump. It's a huge difference with the existing systems (Hangl/Vist plate) which have wider and longer contact areas with the snowboard. Hope the little contact area of this prototype wouldn't stress/pinpoint the board (too much). We will see.

Hi, I just browsed through this thread and pictures quickly. Looks like a nice system, but why did you construct it out of metal? Won't it just shift the point where most pressure due to the binding-board interface is caused? Maybe I missed some comments as this post is already huge?!

A US coach saw me training on my own plate-system and commented on them that they seemed to do a much better job than the "Hangl Platte", i.e. let the board flex naturally underneath the bindings.

So, my idea would be to use flexible materials underneath the bindings, although I get the feeling you guys love metal out here. ;)

Best regards,

Erwin

I was thinking the same thing about the spring housings interfering with the boots. Most of us set up our angles so the heel and toe of our boots are at the edge of the board, which means they will be overlapping the plate springs. If the cant plate and baseplate and toe/heel blocks put the boot above that level to clear them, then it seems that you will be very very high up off the board. I'm sure Fin has this all figured out, though.

One thing about elastomers is that despite their disadvantages they do have some inherent dampening, where springs do not. The mountain bike suspensions that use coil springs also use shock absorbers. What sort of damping will the springs have in these?

Happy Fun Plate sounds like something on a Chinese menu, doesn't it?