Note to New Members ×

converting a old snowboard to mono

biggerwrangler

Anybody ever done this. Wife can't board to save her life but she might be able to mono...

I have a old sims freecrave 2 and was thinking of a b day present to the wife as she has wanted to try this.

Do i need special bindings?

Need a certian stiffness? old one was a hardboot stiffy

Mount directly in the middle or towards the tail?

brakes?

Thoughts?

Last day, I saw one guy at Okemo with a monoski and it really looked like a F2 speedster that had been converted. Didn't have a chance to chat with the guy who just hopped on the lift while I was unstrapped. So I am not 100% sure. If you look at the duret lineup, their monoskis are quite similar in shape with their alpine boards, so shapewise I don't see any problem. Making additional holes in the board would be more of an issue I think.

If monoskiing is anything like Skwalling, FORGET IT!

Skwalling felt like it was 10x harder than snowboarding.

I can't imagine monoskiing is easy.

Did you try her on REGULAR skis?

So much more control considering you can pizza pie the whole way down the slopes...

(edit) After spending much time on a skwal it isn't as difficult as I make it out to be...just needed some time getting comfortable.

Edited by *Ace*
Skwal is now second nature!
  • Like 1

Ace, Monoski is more related to ski than to snowboard. It was very popular in Europe in the 80's, but was taken over by the massive development of snowboarding and new ski equipment, like phat skis. The primary purpose of monoski was indeed to have better float in big powder. Another reason why monoski lost users was the number of knee injuries to monoskiers. So be adviced that it is technically challenging (one edge) and requires good ski skills.

A bunch of monoskiers are still out there. You can find good info there http://www.monoski.net/

Ace, Monoski is more related to ski than to snowboard. It was very popular in Europe in the 80's, but was taken over by the massive development of snowboarding and new ski equipment, like phat skis. The primary purpose of monoski was indeed to have better float in big powder. Another reason why monoski lost users was the number of knee injuries to monoskiers. So be adviced that it is technically challenging (one edge) and requires good ski skills.

A bunch of monoskiers are still out there. You can find good info there http://www.monoski.net/

Are you certain on those knee injuries. Monoskiing is considered one of the friendliest snow sports on knees. There are even one leged skiers who look like they aren't missing a leg when monoskiing. When I was release from my torn MCL, I was released to a monoski. It truly generates the most stable platform for people with knee issues.

Anybody ever done this. Wife can't board to save her life but she might be able to mono...

I have a old sims freecrave 2 and was thinking of a b day present to the wife as she has wanted to try this.

Do i need special bindings?

Need a certian stiffness? old one was a hardboot stiffy

Mount directly in the middle or towards the tail?

brakes?

Thoughts?

You're likely to have difficulties finding a certified tech to mount it for you. Snowboards don't have a mounting plate, so it's necessary to t-bolt the board to ensure the bindings don't pull out of the board. There use to be an adapter plate available for this, but I don't remember who made it or what it's called. You might ask over at lateralpressure.com. Most monoskis have a lot of taper to help in the powder. If this is your wifes application, she's unlikely to enjoy the sims as a monoski. If she wants to carve on it, then that's a different story. Most of the carving monoskis I've built are very similar to an alpine snowboard. They do have mounting plates though.

Sean, honestly I heard it and it amounts to urban legend more than actual knowledge. I just wanted to flag what seemed to me a safety aspect.

I checked it out and yes, monoski is recommended to people with knee injury. What I had in mind was accidents on monoski, when only one binding would release. Also, as far as bindings are concerned, I saw on the website above that they suggest using non-releasable bindings (cateks it seems). I monoskied for about five years, with classic ski bindings (that was the only option at that time) and never hurt myself, but they did not release often.

Far from me the idea to say bad things about monoski. I loved it so much that most of my buddies had longed ago tossed away their monos for snowboards when I stepped for the first time on that Nida fly... Never came back to it, though one thing makes me nostalgic sometimes, when I have to follow skiers on steep moguls... I guess that carving on a monoski, especially with the shapes available now, would still be a lot of fun !

Question: After having seen videos of Coda boards in action using non-releasable bindings (Bombers) and seeing monoskiers using releaseable ski bindings, is one just safer than the other? Or, are the Coda users taking a BIG chance and just don't know it? Is there any reason someone (like myself) should not mount TD's to any snowboard in a parallel, facing forward orientation and ride safely? I really like the idea of the Coda board for my wife who's had ACL knee surgery and has problems with the idea of releasing from a binding at speed.

Mark

Question: After having seen videos of Coda boards in action using non-releasable bindings (Bombers) and seeing monoskiers using releaseable ski bindings, is one just safer than the other? Or, are the Coda users taking a BIG chance and just don't know it? Is there any reason someone (like myself) should not mount TD's to any snowboard in a parallel, facing forward orientation and ride safely? I really like the idea of the Coda board for my wife who's had ACL knee surgery and has problems with the idea of releasing from a binding at speed.

Mark

As I understand it, ski bindings release because in a fall you can twist your ankle/knee very easily as the ski is a big lever and without another foot to stabilize the board, it can twist and mess you up. I would imagine that risk would be seriously mitigated on a monoski, since there is one board and both legs are attached ... In fact, I would wager non-release is safer on a monoski. Bomber makes bindings for those short skis that I'm seeing all over the place these days. I imagine those would be perfect for a monoski.

http://www.skiboardsonline.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=bomber_elite

Just a guess, but I'd bet your wife would rather get diamonds! :)

As for the board, I'd just mount up a set of ski bindings and use a leash. I would put the bindings as close to the edge as possible, but make sure the fore foot of the boot doesn't overhang. Booting out sucks and I bet it's worse when the only edge is the inside edge! I'm just pulling this info out of my ass, so if it sounds all wrong, then don't take my advise.

Anyway, this whole thing sounds crazy! I think mono boards are STUPID (like all things 80s), but what you're talking about sounds really COOL! I mean you're bringing SIDECUT into the equation!!! DO IT!!! And if your wife likes it, let us know. I'd try it. I have the bindings, all I need is the right board.

We've had a few boards converted to monoskis ( 168 size ) for japanese monoski addicts a few years back...not sure if they succeeded. The problem was having the boots side by side fit on the narrow width ( 22cm): this made it difficult to find narrow boots..only atomics worked.

Non release vs release is always a debate: PIF, one of the best chamonix riders uses non release, and Vanvan, another legendary local in LaGrave also rides un release bindings

hot monoski ( and overall mountain films here:)

http://www.tvmountain.com/index.php?option=com_hwdvideoshare&task=viewvideo&Itemid=112&video_id=1234

Nils

I did a mono-board conversion with a custom made proto-type conversion plate on a K2 170TX in '92. Rob, the inventor, asked me to test the idea for his Monopl8 snowboard conversion, witch he later marketed with limited sucsess. The K2 seemed to be a good canidate being 25 waist (no bootout) square tail carving board. We used sims/santa cruz plastic plates (too flexible). The setup worked pretty well in powder or slush but was a little wide & flexy for hardpack. I mounted the binders with the ball of the foot on center of sidecut, that may be a little forward for most riders.

If you really want a mono that performs go with a modern shape like a snowshark or coda. I would go with a nonrelease binding and regular ski boots for lateral & for/aft stiffness.

Look here for more info http://lateralpressure.yuku.com/directory

post-5508-141842277951_thumb.jpg

I've used both releasable and bail bindings on a monoski. My personal preference is a non releasable bail. Even with the releasable ski bindings maxed out on the din settings, I've twisted out with one foot, leaving the other in. That's a scarry feeling having something that big and heavy capable of twisting your knee. With the non release system, you're basically in the same situation as an alpine snowboard. You are capable of generating as much torque as the ski, so knee injuries don't occur.

I would strongly advise against " just mounting a set of ski bindings to a snowboard". Skis and monoskis have a mounting plate in them that provides a lot of extra grip for the screws used. Just mounting directly to a snowboard without some sort of reenforcement will result in insufficient retention. A binding will come off the board, leaving the other foot locked on the board. Be sure to t-bold or helicoil the board you are mounting.

Monoski waist widths are typically in the 18 to 19.5cm width. While I have not ridden wider monoskis, most do not like the performance of them.

Guest shrederjen
Wife can't board to save her life but she might be able to mono...

Thoughts?

Get your wife a snowboard lesson with a good instructor!!

Talk to MD, if she truely wants to monoski. It wasn't all that hard 15 years ago, if I remember correctly (jumped on one at Keystone, before they allowed snowboards, there). :cool:

• 1 month later...

Here is part of a discussion I have had with a customer:

The CODA monoboard is the only mono made these days specifically to be ridden with non-release bindings. There are several reasons for this: board flex, board weight, binding price, one binding for lots of boards, and safety.

Board flex: the non-release binding has a much smaller foot print (50-70% smaller) than traditional bindings, so the dead spot under your feet is much smaller.

Board weight: the non-release binding weighs on average 50% less than traditional bindings

Binding price: the most expensive, and best binding I would recommend, I would also sell to you for $170 compared to $250 and up for a good traditional DIN binding

One binding for lots of boards: we use inserts in our boards with a standard pattern so that you can easily take your bindings off without ruining the board and put them on a different board if you want something different for the day, or for just one run.

Safety: when one foot comes out, you have twice the board on one leg than a 2-planker does. I don't want to come out EVER!

I feel that the bomber elite is the best non-release binding for monoboards.

I know a few people who have mounted these bindings to a snowboard, mono style. The biggest issue is mounting them in the correct place. Usually you need to use a demo binding of some kind so that you have the ability to adjust the location of the binding to find the sweet spot.

• 8 years later...

Bringing this thread back from the dead. It's summer here, and play in the garage workshop time for me while I wait for winter to come around again.

I'd like to try riding a carving monoski.

The snowboards I have in mind are a Coiler 177 AM with a 21.5 waist, and a Rad-Air Obsession (Pinkerman Extreme version) 24.5cm waist.
To avoid putting any new inserts into the boards the plan is to build a DIY plate to go on top of Bomber Boiler Plate hinge units.

Reading around, binding placement seems to be a critical factor in monoski  rideability. I'm designing the plate to be able to shift 3cm forward or back from the start position, and planning on using SnowPro Race bail bindings which have 1cm either way position adjustment from the mounting screws, plus the ability to slide heel & toe blocks around a bit as well.

Interested in thoughts/experience about binding/boot centre/ball of foot placement relative to the centre of the effective edge, and relative to the snow board binding inserts that the board maker placed.
For example, my Coiler AM effective edge centre is approx. 3cm in front of the midway between the snowboard binding insert sets.

Everything still in my head and a Powerpoint file at this stage....... :freak3:

• Like 1

A good start point is: Ball of the foot 1" ahead of effective edge center. I had very limited success with a plate system. I had Sean, (Donek),  make me  a plate with side by side inserts. I can mount it on any 4x4 insert Alpine board. I used Bomber skiboard bindings, I mounted the plate to insert center. I think that if you load your front foot on the plate it can actually lift the rear, thus requiring riding neutral body position.  My Avatar is me on a Rossi Throttle that I direct mounted solomon ski bindings. Damn that board carved well as a Mono.

I mounted around 12 different Alpine boards Mono style. I feel that the core profile is different somehow than a mfg mono and most didn't work out as I had hoped.

A single foot release is pretty rare, you either don't release or both release. Some monoriders torque a binding right off of the board. If you "modulate" with the outside foot you can control the edging. IE: lifting on the outside foot when turning. Riding technically correct you will never rip a binding out..

On the CODA website they have photos of some carving boards that have both mono and snowboard inserts and the mono inserts appear to be centred between the snowboarding inserts. (Although now I look at these higher definition images the spacing of the midline inserts looks very narrow stance, more skwal than snowboard style.)

They have a page for designing your own graphics which has downloadable profiles for the various models, with binding images overlaid. The bindings appear to be close to the ball of foot at board narrowest point setting from these files.

https://www.codaboards.com/graphics_templates.php

solo_V0_straight_bind.jpgsolo_V0_XL_straight_bind.jpg

Anyone tried the CODA carving boards as monoski and as a board?

Edited by SunSurfer

Check out my homemade plate that has extra inserts for mono mounting: 

post-1678-141842343709.jpg

It also allows for this monstrosity, for the days you are indecisive ;) 

post-1678-141842343713.jpg

In action:  

post-1678-141842343762.jpg

I mounted it dead centre (to the inserts) and purposely to the narrowest sliders position, for more flex. Its an old Purecarve Maverick. Board had excellent flex. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1