• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ohh please!

nothing has really changed as of yet except the handouts now actually have strings instead of being free money.

and the man who ran on a platform of "change" and "end the earmarks" has a bunch of washington insiders pulling his strings and is about to sign an appropriations bill with 800+ earmarks attached...

Which one is the Republican?

Rush.jpg?t=1236816097

YYZ canucks! :)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mR0tzt9XaM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mR0tzt9XaM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

and the man who ran on a platform of "change" and "end the earmarks" has a bunch of washington insiders pulling his strings and is about to sign an appropriations bill with 800+ earmarks attached...

you seem to have misplaced your decimal...

Try 8,000+ "earmarks"!!

btw, wtf... Geitner is out threatening to weld a soon to be super-sized IRS as a weapon against 'tax-cheats'?:freak3:

okay Rush, you just proved Skatha's point.

are you oblivious to the few left media outlets that there are?

If not, please give examples.

Which point did I prove?

Oblivious to what?

Examples of what?

You're losing me.

After posting this and hitting the treadmill at the club, I would like to change my post (but will leave it there). CNN (I think I'm one of the few moderates who flip around to different news outlets) was blasting Obama on many topics. I was rather concerned CNN's ownership had changed. The panelists gave Obama a B-, D, and C for his 1st few months. They pointed out his communication is lacking (sending more troops to Afgan without a clear plan), opposing earmarks during the campaign (but signing off on the bill today) and

for the gap in public opinion between Obama's popularity (very high) and his policies (moderate). The gap indicates that there is a risk his approval rating will drop when the policies do not produce results, esp in the short term.

I'll search for the video on CNN.

Just being fair and balanced....appears some Democrats (or liberals) are open to dishing out some criticism, which is nice to hear.

As a conservative I really want the sitting president to do well so that the Republican party has to do real work to unseat him instead of just being the people who opposed Obama....I am embarrassed at what passes for conservative thought these days Rush? Hannity, Coulter? Beck? James Dobson? Please these people are Social Conservatives who embrace and promote small minded thinking.

As a conservative I really want the sitting president to do well so that the Republican party has to do real work to unseat him instead of just being the people who opposed Obama....I am embarrassed at what passes for conservative thought these days Rush? Hannity, Coulter? Beck? James Dobson? Please these people are Social Conservatives who embrace and promote small minded thinking.

Exactly. What the promoters of the Left seem to miss is that it is possible to be a political conservative without being a social conservative.

and yes I missed a zero in my previous post.

Exactly. What the promoters of the Left seem to miss is that it is possible to be a political conservative without being a social conservative.

sadly the problem is that the GOP has been Hijacked by the Social Conservatives...they don't have enough of a platform to entice the majority of the political conservatives so we are stuck with gimmicks like Jindal Steele or Palin

Not that it matters to many, but the omnibus bill is another steaming pile left over from the past that if not signed shuts the govt down. Obamas hands are tied on this. Both sides of the aisle are resposible for the "pork " in this bill, including those who are squealing the loudest about it. No earmarks was mcains campaign platform, not the Presidents, his was reform. Nuance does not fit on a bumper sticker, so the mass media leaves it alone, and focuses on the easy emotional and simple sloganeering. Earmarks are a small portion of the money the govt spends, but a very easy way to whip up a feeding frenzy in the driveby media.

I hate politcal threads, but they are a train wreck and I cannot look away, especially when they start pissing me off. I am done with this one. I ride on saturday, I cannot wait.

mario

Try 8,000+ "earmarks"!!

Your "subtlety" really is great and well-reasoned. Sort of "Brute Finesse."

Wish I could ride with you this weekend.

83 F here yesterday with water temperature of 62. Son caught the fattest, most colorful Bluegill I've seen in some time.

Great groom, or powder (?), to you.

BB

the current two parties don't have anything they stand for. They are nothing more than a bunch of warlords trying to hold onto power with little thought as to what to use that power for....I will be very happy when they finally have a goal instead of the crap they preach now

fixed.

you seem to have misplaced your decimal...

Try 8,000+ "earmarks"!!

I noticed the republicans trying to cut back on earmarks in the bill :lol:

1. Thad Cochran, R-Miss.: $474 million

2. Roger Wicker, R-Miss.: $391 million

3. Mary Landrieu, D-La.: $332 million

4. Tom Harkin, D-Iowa: $292 million

5. David Vitter, R-La.: $249 million

6. Christopher Bond, R-Mo.: $248 million

7. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif.: $235 million

8. Daniel Inouye, D-Hawaii: $225 million

9. Richard Shelby, R-Ala.: $219 million

10. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa: $199 million

BobD

I noticed the republicans trying to cut back on earmarks in the bill :lol:

1. Thad Cochran, R-Miss.: $474 million

2. Roger Wicker, R-Miss.: $391 million

3. Mary Landrieu, D-La.: $332 million

4. Tom Harkin, D-Iowa: $292 million

5. David Vitter, R-La.: $249 million

6. Christopher Bond, R-Mo.: $248 million

7. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif.: $235 million

8. Daniel Inouye, D-Hawaii: $225 million

9. Richard Shelby, R-Ala.: $219 million

10. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa: $199 million

BobD

Yeah, sucks - Obama has made it pretty clear he is for earmark reform, but there's not a lot he can do - afaik he can either sign the bill or send it back, but he has no power to modify it. Those in congress are the ones inserting them into the budget, and he has no line item veto. Clinton had the line item veto for a few years to help cut down on, hey, fancy that: pork barrel spending. Sure would be useful now. Funny how stuff like the line item veto sounds like a good idea when I like the president and a really bad idea when I don't.

We'll see how much support he gets to reform earmarks - I doubt he will have much success; Democrats and Republicans in Congress both love earmarks when the money goes to their own state.

One of those "Prisoner's Dilemma" or "Tragedy of the Commons" kinds of game theory scenarios - we would be better off if there were no earmarks, but it is in every individual congressman's best interests to try to get as many earmarks for himself as possible.

I am totally disgusted with the latter day GOP,the " party of small government and free markets" is as responsible for the current mess as anybody.

Funny how only when they are a minority in congress do they become fiscal hawks.

They had all the power and squandered it all.

Yeah, sucks - Obama has made it pretty clear he is for earmark reform, but there's not a lot he can do

BS

He stated over and over that he would not sign any bills that contained 'earmarks'

He stated over and over that he would not have lobbyist working in his Whitehouse

He state over and over again about how he, pelosi & reid would run a transparient government

anyway, quite a bit of damage has already been done on the lefts war on the economy and their continued assualt against personal freedom

If he doesn't sign, every thing shuts down. To paraphrase what I said earlier, facts do not matter to some. AMERICA FIRST Bring on a parlimentry system

divisivness sucks, snow boarding is fun, my legs hurt from riding today.

mario

socialized hardbooting.

Petrol,your assessment about personal freedoms is laughable considering how the last admin whittled away at them.What are we talking about;the freedom to bilk people out of their money;the freedom of the rich to eploit the working poor....Oooo,I bet that makes me unpatriotic to even think that...

If he doesn't sign, every thing shuts down. To paraphrase what I said earlier, facts do not matter to some. AMERICA FIRST Bring on a parlimentry system

divisivness sucks, snow boarding is fun, my legs hurt from riding today.

mario

holy **** yes!

parlimentary systems are at least somewhat responsive to the public