Note to New Members ×

Impression F2 and Deeluxe Track 700: season 09-10

Hans

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the new F2 shapes.

What's the status of Head boots? Will there be a new production run? What about the other Deeluxe models?

.........stay unchanged as far as my info reached (225/325)

Let me just add a few things about the upcoming Track 700.

1. Power strap that helps support upper cuff (making it almost like 5 buckles).
  2. Standard liner has been greatly improved over last season to provide taller cuff height, stiffer tongue and higher quality.
  3. Heat moldable liner improved over last season to provide stiffer overall feel, better moldability and higher quality material.
  4. Lateral cuff pivot is no longer a rivet (that can't be easily repaired). Now the pivot uses parts from medial side and can be removed & replaced.
  5. Lateral & Medial "half-moon" (the clear piece in pics) will be made from glass fibre reinforced PE or ABS for improved life expectancy.
  6. All buckles that were previously riveted to shell are now held with screw and t-nut to facilitate easy replacement.
  7. Plastic material has be chosen to provide a stiffer overall feel. Changed from 59D to 62D hardness.

DeeLuxe has been actively seeking feedback from all their distributors with regard to quality, functionality and esthetics. Not all items have been addressed (as some have pointed out regarding colour!) but it looks to me like they're on the right path to growing the sport. There was some strong negative feedback this season with regard to the Track 700 usefulness as a racing boot but I believe the changes made will put that to rest.

The Track 325 & 225 will remain unchanged for next season as the focus has been on the Track 700.

It's good to see that UPZ is working on their product too.

2. Standard liner has been greatly improved over last season to provide taller cuff height, stiffer tongue and higher quality.
  3. Heat moldable liner improved over last season to provide stiffer overall feel, better moldability and higher quality material.
  4. Lateral cuff pivot is no longer a rivet (that can't be easily repaired). Now the pivot uses parts from medial side and can be removed & replaced.
  5. Lateral & Medial "half-moon" (the clear piece in pics) will be made from glass fibre reinforced PE or ABS for improved life expectancy.
  6. All buckles that were previously riveted to shell are now held with screw and t-nut to facilitate easy replacement.
  7. Plastic material has be chosen to provide a stiffer overall feel. Changed from 59D to 62D stiffness.

DeeLuxe has been actively seeking feedback from all their distributors with regard to quality, functionality and esthetics. Not all items have been addressed (as some have pointed out regarding colour!) but it looks to me like they're on the right path to growing the sport. There was some strong negative feedback this season with regard to the Track 700 usefulness as a racing boot but I believe the changes made will put that to rest.

The Track 325 & 225 will remain unchanged for next season as the focus has been on the Track 700.

It is indeed good to see some advancements in our small sports boots - everything you've mentioned is IMHO good news;

1. power strap - good to add; however, the upper cuff and tongue are not designed to incorporate a strap - it's an after thought add-on. The top f the cuff and tongue need to be reconfigured to better accept a power/booster strap. Deeluxe should just go ahead and put on a booster strap and do away w/ the Velcro thingy.
  2. standard liner - good improvements
  3. heat moldable liner - looks like big improvements! I have to honestly say that the current "Speed" liner that is offered is junk. I have Intuition liners f/ my new Scapra tele boots, and I find them far superior in terms of stiffness, moldability, durability, material, construction and overall quality. I also have an set of Deeluxe thermo fit liner I bought f/ Fin about 4 yrs ago - the gray ones w/ the seam down the center of the foot. These were made in France by Palau - the current ones are made in China - same comparison as w/ the intuitions - the older France made liners are much better quality. I'm currently using them in my latest 700 25.0's.
  4. cuff pivot - replaceable parts - good thing!
  5. half-moon - stronger material for durability - good thing!
  6. buckles w/ screws - replacability - good thing! I find the current buckle quality pretty good, but not as good as some ski boot buckles that are currently being used. But now w/ screws attachments, you could customize your boots w/ all that extra stimulus cash flowing your way w/ some really trick light weight magnesium buckles! :biggthump
  7. stiffer plastic - horeses for courses here, stiff vs not so stiff; what's most important is a plastic that maintains consistent flex properties over temperature variations.
  8. Aesthetics - that's personal, but I think they're hideous! Looks like they just took some leftover uppers f/ 08's and bolted them to some left over 07's. What's wrong with one color?

I haven't ridden a UPZ boot, but obvious changes I suggest for them are;

1. buckles - better quality; the current ones seem pretty cheap, and I've heard about them breaking.
  2. buckle alignment - when I tried on the RC10, I found that as I buckles the boot, the buckles were not evenly tightening the boot - buckles #1 & #2 were similar, but #3 was really tight, and when buckles down, made #1 & #2 loose.
  3. T-nut the toe and heel blocks - wood screws into a plastic bore in just not safe for long term reliability!
  4. Upper cuff and tongue design for a strap - it's better than 700; at least the shell at eh back has been designed to accommodate a strap, but the tongue doesn't. Still a lot of room for improvement.

It is good to see UPZ making changes in their boots as well - having at least two companies seriously making boots for us makes them compete for better product development, and that benefits us all. Now if Head would take some of their latest innovations f/ their own ski boots and overhaul the SP, then we'd have three serious competitors. The ski boot industry - alpine, A/T & tele - is loaded w/ heavy hitters, and their boot quality, fit, design and economy due to competition, and industry size of course, really shows in their products over the last few years.

7. Plastic material has be chosen to provide a stiffer overall feel. Changed from 59D to 62D hardness.

This is all really nice to hear and has really shown me it is wise to wait until next season to buy a pair of 700T boots. Thank you.

I'm especially glad to hear the info about the liners. I've had a few sets of Thermoflex liners in the past, some I molded myself, most my bootfitter did (The Starting Gate in VT). I've never liked them mostly due to their mushy feeling and material quality. This is why I was trying to find a pair for 700Ts with the standard lining (I found out Bomber is selling their demo boots with the standard liners). But reading the above is good to hear.

(Though I do prefer the aesthetics of this year's white boots over the red ones shown in this thread. But I'll take functionality over color anyday.)

Like the idea of replacing the things somewhat easier by using screws and so on. Also the liner will be better. The topstrap you mostly better replace them with a Boosterstrap.

An inside look of the liner of the new Track. That heelhold is looking good.

post-105-141842276912_thumb.jpg

Like the idea of replacing the things somewhat easier by using screws and so on. Also the liner will be better. The topstrap you mostly better replace them with a Boosterstrap.

An inside look of the liner of the new Track. That heelhold is looking good.

Ya, looks good. Looks alot like the Nordica liners I have in my Heads right now. That's a very good thing.

[*]heat moldable liner - looks like big improvements! I have to honestly say that the current "Speed" liner that is offered is junk. I have Intuition liners f/ my new Scapra tele boots, and I find them far superior in terms of stiffness, moldability, durability, material, construction and overall quality. I also have an set of Deeluxe thermo fit liner I bought f/ Fin about 4 yrs ago - the gray ones w/ the seam down the center of the foot. These were made in France by Palau - the current ones are made in China - same comparison as w/ the intuitions - the older France made liners are much better quality. I'm currently using them in my latest 700 25.0's.

Wow! With all due respect, this is........the first soooo negative comment about the speed liners :eek:. So far, from what I have seen, and experienced, the speed liners are pretty darn good and comfortable ones. Just my 2c.

Wow! With all due respect, this is........the first soooo negative comment about the speed liners :eek:. So far, from what I have seen, and experienced, the speed liners are pretty darn good and comfortable ones. Just my 2c.

I think the new ones are garbage as well, pack out super fast, thin.

the grey ones were way better.

garmont gfits actually are my favorite thermo type liner right now.

I bought a pair last season. Most painful liners I have ever had the displeasure of riding. Way too thin. Packed out super fast. I loved them the first day I had them, but as soon as they packed out (by day 2) I was ready to burn them in effigy.

Junk.

Fin was wearing the new T700s at LCS 2009 this past weekend. I have to admit that, on the positive side, the ugly look of these boots certainly serves to distract you from his face. :eek: Just kidding! All hail Fin! ...but the boots are ugly. I wonder if they've done their whole production run already.

• 2 weeks later...

It would appear that the color choice of these boots serves for some inherent obscelecence. That is, they look old already so you are forced to update after some time.

The light gray/blue of the 225 will also date quickly, but in modern times, there is nothing that compares to the 700T. I thought the 08-09 is gaudy, 09-10 just keeps getting worse. I am considering the current 700T, but having trouble getting over the look...