Note to New Members ×

Fake ? ebay swoard 4sale ..

nils

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280297678163&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

Just wanted to tell you that the guy is not answering any questions, so its a bit suspicious ( since the board is supposely new)..anyway, to know the history of a board, we can help you with the serial number, it can help knowing if its new/ second hand, under warranty etc ...

Nils

I spend far too much time and money on Ebay and I wouldn't touch an auction like that. The account feedback is too far too low and without any recent activity to look into to risk that kind of money. Forget about Ebay caring or Payal covering an auction purchase like that too. On the bright side I am amazed that Ebay scams are not as rampant as they could be. I have hundreds of purchases under my belt and only got nailed one time for $120 and it had all the signs of a scam. I'll watch that auction and see what they do about relisting it when it doesn't sell. A $500 BuyItNow might make a sucka step forward.

Derek

That shipping may be correct. My listed cost from NY to MA is only $15. I returned some bindings (Ebay:freak3:) using USPS Priority mail to AZ from MA and it was over $17 for a 6lb box.

Sending a board coast to coast using Priority costs at most $40. Fedex Ground can usually get it done for $25. I'd have to get a smokin' deal on something to pay $80 for shipping on a board within the US.... here or on eBay. Highly marked-up shipping on eBay usually is a red flag to me... it's not dishonest, as it is spelled out in advance, but it is often the mark of someone trying to prey on buyers.

High shipping charges are a way to avoid Ebay fees, not trick buyers. Anyone who can't add shipping to determine what they are paying should not be online shopping in the first place.

Ebay red flags for me are:

Little or no feedback

Poor feedback

No Paypal

Short auctions

Lots of expensive stuff listed at once

Foreign seller

1st time seller

Lack of recent feedback

Feedback from buying/selling worthless items

Demands fast payment

The more of these flags I see the less likely I will end up bidding on it. These flags have kept me from bidding on suspect auctions. The one time I did get scammed for $120 the auction it had 4 of the above flags on it so shame on me!

I actually tried my new Swoard 3rd generation over the weekend and it is a keeper.:biggthump

I have not used Ebay over the last 4 years. I logged in today to see what is going on and Ebay said that due to inactivity, my account has been locked for security reasons. There is a process to follow if I want to unlock my account again....which I will not do.

So whoever peterv1224 is....I do not have a clue.

Peter

that last 175S auction is a genuine one, but the first one is a fake/trap/stuff i'm sure....If i had a new board i'll show pictures of it, in the plastic instead of copy paste a bad print from the website...

Not sure how i can / if i should work that out...Anyway: always ask for the serial number, and in doubt ask us when it was sold and where...this is how we trace stolen boards ( so far not found any but this is why we check almost all auctions and ask for serial numbers...).

Nils

Some people list higher than normal cost in with their listings to cover both shipping AND HANDLING charges. Remember there is fees, and auction cost and packing materials and gas to take things to be mailed and other factors that we often forget. On big ticket items we loose a good chunk of change especialy with B.I.N. listings.

Just food for thought, and no Im not affiliated with the seller. ;) I just use ebay a lot and have been hosed in the past too, but also got some sweet deals.

definatly a scam

I have about the same amount of feedback as that guy, but when I put up something for sale, I take my own photo and write a couple sentences about it.

look at what he says about it, he has a professionally designed writeup on features of the board, just as if he's done it hundreds of times.

That is clearly not an ebay rookie, and he only has 7 feedback's, so i would say it's a scam.

Yeah, it really must be a scam, cause no one can be new to ebay with out it being a scam for sure.

and of course all scams are for ****, %99.999 of the world never heard of.

definatly a scam

I have about the same amount of feedback as that guy, but when I put up something for sale, I take my own photo and write a couple sentences about it.

look at what he says about it, he has a professionally designed writeup on features of the board, just as if he's done it hundreds of times.

That is clearly not an ebay rookie, and he only has 7 feedback's, so i would say it's a scam.

definatly a scam

He just quoted the product description on Swoard.com: http://www.extremecarving.com/swoard/board.html

Anyway, the auction is over, so someone will find out very soon whether this buyer was legit or not.

Yeah, it really must be a scam, cause no one can be new to ebay with out it being a scam for sure.

and of course all scams are for ****, %99.999 of the world never heard of.

:insert immature sarcastic remark mocking you that I'm too indifferent to write:

There's just not a single thing in the entire ad to indicate it is posted from a human and not some guy that has setup a semi-automated scamming business.

What shall i do about it?

1. i know the board does not exist because, after late verifications, only 2 161M are in north america , and both are under known feet.

2. i asked seller to put pics of the product and also tell me serial number and ask if the board is warrantied: answer: its not warrantied but i'm not sure, i'll put those infos you want on the ad asap...( still waiting)..

What does ebay do with those? send gunmen?dogs?

Thnx

Nils

I hate to admit it but I have seen Ebay react rather quickly concerning suspect auctions. I once saw a ton of auctions for service manuals on CD being sold with 3 day auctions by someone who just opened account and built up feedback by "Buying" Ebay cooking recipes for like 50 cents each. There were more flags too but I can't remember what they were. Anyways I told Ebay about it and they froze the poor guys account rather quickly. Sadly the auctions ended up being legit!

So the moral of the story is there is no real way to know for sure how secure an auction really is. Even though by watching for flags and weighing risk I have had great success using Ebay.

Derek