Note to New Members ×

Traviling with boards

paappraiser

That's BS, airlines cannot dictate that, as long as you are under any weight limit. I often traveled with two, and plan for three on my way to SES09. I would call US Air management and ask if skiers can bring only one ski? Or fly some other

airline, it may also help keep your boards dry.

Worst case you can ship UPS ahead of time and avoid the hassel all together.

Good Luck!

Q: Will skis and golf clubs be assessed the $15 first checked bag fee or the $25 second checked bag fee?

a:Yes and these items may be subject to oversize or overweight fees as well.

Ski equipment

Ski equipment may be accepted in the normal baggage allowance in lieu of a piece of baggage. US Airways will accept 2 ski bags, however, 1 item of ski equipment consists of 1 pair of skis or snowboard, 1 pair of ski boots, 1 pair of ski poles and 1 pair of ski bindings.

The passenger must provide acceptable encasement/packaging for the ski equipment, such as fiberglass or cloth bag to protect the ski equipment and to prevent damage to other bags. (US Airways may provide plastic ski bags if available). If the ski equipment is not properly packaged/protected, the customer assumes all risk of damage.

---

Thanks Gd Im not bringing home some antlers..They used to have something for xmas trees years ago. Who travels with a xmas tree?

Antlers

Antlers will be accepted as checked baggage for a charge of $100 per direction. The following conditions of acceptance apply:

Dimension (H + W + L) must not exceed 120 in/305 cm

On the CRJ aircraft the largest dimension cannot exceed 33 in/84 cm and the overall dimensions cannot exceed 99 in/252 cm

On the Dash 8 aircraft the largest dimension cannot exceed 50 in/127 cm

Head/skull must be completely clean and free of residue

Points must be covered and protected

1 rack per ticketed customer

Can’t combine or cradle 2 or more racks

..delta sayss

Christmas Trees

Have Christmas tree, will travel. We will accept cut Christmas trees as limited-release baggage on all flights within the United States, including flights to/from Hawaii. However, all Christmas trees will be subject to baggage allowance and baggage size restrictions.

Trees need to be adequately packaged with the root ball or cut base and all branches wrapped and secured using a burlap-type material.

All passengers traveling into Hawaii and checking Christmas trees as baggage must include it on their declaration form and the tree must pass agricultural inspection.

I had the fun experience of having them take everything that I had in my board bag out and scan and check all contents. That was at the Kelowna airport.

Just so that I didn't feel special, they did this to almost everyone with a board bag. Delayed check in to the point that our flight was almost delayed.

Just went throught the whole air port thing.

Vail <-> NY

This is with delta/North West.

Just in case anyone is wondering TD2 went through the security check without issue. I had to pull it out of my checked luggage cause it's overweight.

Got 2 boards and cloths in the burton wheelie locker.

~50 lb

Boots + 2 set of binding + helmet == carry on ~40 lb

laptop bag = personal item.

--

David

---

Thanks Gd Im not bringing home some antlers..They used to have something for xmas trees years ago. Who travels with a xmas tree?

Antlers

Antlers will be accepted as checked baggage for a charge of $100 per direction. The following conditions of acceptance apply:

Dimension (H + W + L) must not exceed 120 in/305 cm

On the CRJ aircraft the largest dimension cannot exceed 33 in/84 cm and the overall dimensions cannot exceed 99 in/252 cm

On the Dash 8 aircraft the largest dimension cannot exceed 50 in/127 cm

Head/skull must be completely clean and free of residue

Points must be covered and protected

1 rack per ticketed customer

Can’t combine or cradle 2 or more racks

---

That's rough - I'm about 5'11", 190lbs and can't carve with antlers less than 305cm!

Check out the Luggage Deal at the bottom of this page if you're talking about SES: http://www.bomberonline.com/ses/content/pricing.cfm

I had more of a problem with the BTS in my carry on than the 3 boards in one bag on my last flight. TSA thought they were some kind of spring loaded weapon of mass destruction. ;)

I had the fun experience of having them take everything that I had in my board bag out and scan and check all contents. That was at the Kelowna airport.

Just so that I didn't feel special, they did this to almost everyone with a board bag. Delayed check in to the point that our flight was almost delayed.

you do look like a pretty shady character John!;)

I had more of a problem with the BTS in my carry on than the 3 boards in one bag on my last flight. TSA thought they were some kind of spring loaded weapon of mass destruction. ;)

LOL... our boots are way too complicated

Head Stratus Pro + BTS + fin-tec does look like something that spaceman wear.

I did overheard the TSA tech question it :)

Check out the Luggage Deal at the bottom of this page if you're talking about SES: http://www.bomberonline.com/ses/content/pricing.cfm

Hey - it coulda' been worse! They could have said "BOMBER" on them instead of "BTS"!

I was sweating this last year for SES and American had all the same language about one board, etc,etc. Showed up with a sportube with 2 boards, bindings stuck in my boot bag and was charged no extra money. Sport tube, boot bag, carry on, and my laptop. We'll see what happens this year.

wow, I've never heard of that. i fly out west at least once every year and for the past 4-5 years i have had 2 boards in my bag every time(mine + my brother's to reduce the number of bags we carry). I've never seen any signs saying only one board and never had anyone say anything to me. It's even been searched by TSA with no comments. Is this a new rule?

Ski equipment

Ski equipment may be accepted in the normal baggage allowance in lieu of a piece of baggage. US Airways will accept 2 ski bags, however, 1 item of ski equipment consists of 1 pair of skis or snowboard, 1 pair of ski boots, 1 pair of ski poles and 1 pair of ski bindings.

This could be construed as 1 pair of skis or 1 pair of snowboard. God bless loopholes!

This could be construed as 1 pair of skis or 1 pair of snowboard. God bless loopholes!

Yeah, and if you have two alpine boards, you could just claim it's a set of powder skis. I'm pretty confident that 99.9% of TSA employees won't know the difference.

And what about monoskis?

I flew my coiler, hardboots, GFs board and soft boots to Europe in the sportube 3 and had no problems. when we checked in they tried to ding us for extra $ but I had taken the empty tube in a week earlier to ask the ticket agent specifically if we would be charged and got a "no" answer. At check in I asked her if she remembered and she said yes so they scrapped the charge.

The sportubes are very durable, I use a soft sleeve for my board inside the tube. I can't see them having any issue with how much is in one as long as it is under weight.

On another note from that trip, when my brother was flying Air Canada back home from T.O. to Edmonton, they wanted to charge him extra for the snowboard he had in a soft bag. While we were in Europe they had implemented a new policy about an extra charge regardless of what piece of luggage it was. It took a couple of hours with an ignorant manager but he got home with no extra charges. However, he did have to pay overage charge on the 23 pounds of chocolate he brought back from Ch.

I flew from Denver to Kelowna, BC today. This is what we went through.

United Airlines/Air Canada

I was not charged anything because I am a premeir status.

Those with me who were not were charged $15 for the first checked bags and $25 for the second. So those under the 50 lbs per bag had to pay $40 for their gear bag and snowboard bag.

Those that were more than the 50lbs (they did give us one pound leigh-way) had to pay $120 for the overweight.

One Chillian kid who did not pack so well got charged $250 for checking in 3 bags, and one was over weight.

it just seems ridiculous that they can charge you more for having 2 boards in one bag. If its over weight I can see it, but that's another story...

If its under weight, that's like them trying to tell me I can only pack 3 pairs of pants per suitcase or something... It shouldn't matter how much stuff is in a bag as long as its below the 50 lbs

It dosen't seem right to me, but I have had issues with Luftansa while checking in more than one board per bag. Now I always tell them I'm only traveling with one board.

The last time I flew Jet Blue (probably three seasons ago) They forced all my athletes to sign a waiver saying that they were not responsible for any damages to their equipment while in posession of Jet Blue. Super lame, hence no more flying with them.

I think the more than one board per bag issue may have something to do with the airlines liability if a bag gets lost or damaged. If somewhere it says you are only allowed to check one, then they loose your bag with two, they only have to buy you one.

This is the first year that I've been asked to sign a waiver releasing the airline from liability in event of dammage to my boards. I was told that a hardside board/ski case does not warrant such a release. Any hardsides for a board that's 190 cm or better?

Sportube for 2 SKIS will handle boards 190 cm or better

http://www.sportube.com/pages/skis_two_pair.php

So waitaminit...I need to get this straight. What do most airlines *typically* charge (in extra fees) for a single, 170cm-long padded nylon softbag with a single snowboard inside?

If it's $25-50 per bag, then I'm like, whatever. I'm already spending a small fortune to go to SES, so relatively speaking, that's pocket change. (No, I'm not rich, just not penny-pinching on our one carving vacation for the year!)

But if it's more than $50 per bag, then yeah—that's an issue!

Scott

PS - Yeah, I know—I just need to call the airline!