Note to New Members ×

Traviling with boards

paappraiser

.. flying United and Frontier recently with multiple boards in a bag (and boots), as long as I didn't exceed the 50 lb limit- they never checked and just charged the standard $15 for the first checked bag. Flying to/from Denver, they get enough board bags that it's no big deal.

I'll crap on AirTran while I'm at it for charging my son and I $80 each for wakeboard bags this summer. Could have shipped them for half that.

Im pretty sure this was already stated . . .

Ever since I had an experience similar to those listed above, I have always shipped my boards ahead of my travels. I have found that for the small amount of money it costs to ship the boards, that knowing that it is taken care of ahead of time and keeps me from having to lug a heavy board bag around airports and other modes of transportation.

My carry on is my northface bag, one pair of bindings in the bottom, my boots, strapped together and thrown over the top with a second pair of bindings attached to the boots. Bag packed with my snow pants, a light weight shell, gloves, sox helmet and goggles. If the boards didn't make it, and my luggage can last, I can still salvage and epic day by finding a demo (alpine or other) and thorwing my plates on and going.

~tb

+2 for Sportube 2. I can squeeze three in if I want to. Longest I have is 188, no problem. Last year United didn't even look inside.

TB, I agree to some extent about shipping if you have somebody to receive the stuff. Where are you going that you can just walk in and rent a carving board?

Flip couldn't find one in the whole Tahoe area this week after grenadeing the core of his arbor.(except for some BOLers that stood up.) Shame, New Arbor 170 + TD3s. Just didn't know any better.

I had the same experience 10 years ago. Airport people stole my board. I watched it come off the plane, but it never made the baggage claim area. "Mr Johnson, just rent a board for the week and we will reimburse you". YOU DON"T UNDERSTAND, I CAN"T JUST RENT ONE OF THESE THINGS!" Called every rental shop on the Lake. Best I could do was a 160 Amp with soft boots.

+2 for Sportube 2. I can squeeze three in if I want to. Longest I have is 188, no problem. Last year United didn't even look inside.

TB, I agree to some extent about shipping if you have somebody to receive the stuff. Where are you going that you can just walk in and rent a carving board?

Flip couldn't find one in the whole Tahoe area this week after grenadeing the core of his arbor.(except for some BOLers that stood up.) Shame, New Arbor 170 + TD3s. Just didn't know any better.

I had the same experience 10 years ago. Airport people stole my board. I watched it come off the plane, but it never made the baggage claim area. "Mr Johnson, just rent a board for the week and we will reimburse you". YOU DON"T UNDERSTAND, I CAN"T JUST RENT ONE OF THESE THINGS!" Called every rental shop on the Lake. Best I could do was a 160 Amp with soft boots.

First. . . most rental locations at ski hills are used to the receiving of ski equipment by mail due to the airlines. Call ahead and most places will give you an address to allow you to ship it to yourself.

Second . . . Never said I thought I would be able to rent an alpine board. . . .

If you carry on your boots and bindings, you can find a pleanty stiff demo board to enjoy your boots and bindings on. Not having your boots and bindings, you are SOL.

I love my alpine board, but, if I had to put my own personal equipment in order of importance of having on a trip. Boots before bindings before board.

I can have a fun day on a crappy board, as long as my feet are comfy in my boots, and I can adjust my cateks to work with the board at hand.