Note to New Members ×

Quiver Security??

wjholm

I use a Dakine lock, $10-15. I researched quite a few and they are all about the same. The cable could easily be cut with a pair of wire cutters, it's really more of a deterrant than anything. Theives are more likely to go for an unlocked board. Now, if Bomber made a lock I would have no problems shelling out more cash (hint, hint).

I have a small cable lock but I never use it, I found it on the mountain one day and had it picked in a minute while walking to the car. When I stop for a beer or lunch I'll usually just walk the 100' to my car and put my board in the box with the other boards I brought that day. Theft isn't a big problem at Baker yet but it happens, I feel much better knowing my boards are at my car.

I always lock my board with fairly beefy cable lock. Someone with some bolt cutters could clip it, but they'd be there for a while with wire cutters. As others have pointed out, it's just a deterrent - if someone really wants it, the lock won't stop them.

I usually don't use the ski/board check with their gorilla attendants (cue the Samsonite commercial)...

I use a DaKine type retractable cable lock. Like most have said, it's just a deterrent. If somebody really wants to steal my board, I want them to have to work harder than just picking it up and walking off with it. My hope is that they just steal someone else's board that isn't locked.

It's like the story of the two guys camping in the woods. All of a sudden a bear comes into camp. One guy immediately starts putting on his running shoes. The other guy says, "what the hell are you doing that for? you'll never out run that bear." The first guy replies, "I don't have to out run the bear. I only have to out run you."

though i probably wouldn't leave an exotic deck lying about unsecured for extended periods, i'm guessing the likelihood of a thief nabbing anything skinny with plates is probably pretty low to nonexistent. they'd have no idea what it is or what to do with it. i've never locked an alpine board (at lunch, etc), though i have used the dakine retractable w/ my soft gear.

though i probably wouldn't leave an exotic deck lying about unsecured for extended periods, i'm guessing the likelihood of a thief nabbing anything skinny with plates is probably pretty low to nonexistent. they'd have no idea what it is or what to do with it.

I feel you there. A couple of years ago, I went to a few used sports shops to see if they had any alpine gear kicking around, but they said they don't take it because they can't re-sell it.

That being said, I actually bring my board inside with me for lunch and before/after riding, I wouldn't take the chance.

I had one board lifted in Ontario...a BX board with lifters and some sexy Flow bindings...not locked while I was changing into shoes (5 mins tops)...grrr still pissed about it!

I usually get some cable from the hardware store and make a cable lock with a pad-lock...looks scarrier than it is, but definately just a deterrent to theft.

-Gord

I always use a cable lock with a key. And I always want to see my board when I am in the mountainrestaurant. I mix up different screws with different types of alley keys to be used in my bomberbindings so they can't get the binders of too. The boards stay in my roofbox (also locked with a central keylock)

Motorcycle cable lock with key, or inthe Equipment room where I work I use a bike cable chain with a combo lock.

I had a board stolen from inside another employees locker in teh employee locker room.....

If its that easy, then I'd say that you should never leave a 1000.00 piece of hardware just sitting around out in the open. I always lock mine or set it right where I can keep an eye on it. it takes less than 40 seconds for a board to walk..... it takes 80 hours of work to pay for another one.

I had a retractable lock for years, and I do think it's probably the cheapest/best/most convenient option really.

Having said that, I lost that lock last year before my last day of last year, so I only brought an older Burton board with me (the mountain didn't have board check). While I was taking off my boots at the end of the day, some little grom running around the ski rack knocked over the board and although I had it on the snow, it fell far enough that when it landed on edge it was on the lodge's paving stones. Cracked the metal edge and split the sidewall in half; luckily it was one of my older boards, although one I still enjoyed riding (a beautiful 2001 Jim Rippey). Oh did I give it to that kid's mother. :AR15firin

Conclusion: lock up anyway.

greg

If at all possible I carry my board with me, it goes into the restroom at Mt. Rose everytime. The only time it needs to be locked (Dakine retractable) is on vacation but even then I wish it could just stay with me. I feel even better if it's locked inside the car and hidden too, which is probably silly, but it would be devastating if someone took it.

Daneille

I just visited my favorite REI, and there in the bike lock section was the OnGuard Terrier, a beefy, 4-digit combo lock on a 4 foot long, 6mm, vinyl-clad, braided steel cable.

I gotta admit even the best retractibles are only a deterrent, but this thing would take serious bolt cutter work. And all this peace of mind can be yours for ....... $9.95!

Gonna get one before my next trip.

BB

i'm guessing the likelihood of a thief nabbing anything skinny with plates is probably pretty low to nonexistent. they'd have no idea what it is or what to do with it.

Pretty much along the lines of what I think beings as most folks have no idea that it's even a snowboard...

still, I use a cable lock as an 'additional' deterant

I just visited my favorite REI, and there in the bike lock section was the OnGuard Terrier, a beefy, 4-digit combo lock on a 4 foot long, 6mm, vinyl-clad, braided steel cable.

I gotta admit even the best retractibles are only a deterrent, but this thing would take serious bolt cutter work. And all this peace of mind can be yours for ....... $9.95!

Gonna get one before my next trip.

BB

good God, That thing looks to weigh in at about 5 pounds... Better use a belt if you plan on carrying that in your pocket :eek:

I'm using a 10 ft long cable lock that was intended for bike security, I think it's about 1 1/2 inches thick and wrapped w/ some crazy fiber and than a hard sleeve on that, $30 master padlock-first time with a Virus and at busy transient mountains, not screwing around. I can use it on the quiver and feel better. After watching some loser try to take my buddy's skis at Sunday River while we were in college, hyper sensitive to the risk. Rewarding beat down was handed out and even more justice when his vehicle was opened up and 13 pairs of skis(not his quiver) were recovered:eplus2: